Tiagra/Ultegra/Dura Ace matching

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bluenose, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. bluenose

    bluenose Guest

    Hi there,

    I have a road bike with Tiagra triple groupset on it.

    I'm very keen to upgrade. I've just purchased a Ultegra triple crank and
    want to purchase a front and rear derailleur. Will my Tiagra shifters
    work with Ultegra and Dura Ace or will I have to upgrade my shifters as
    well? Also, could I have, say, a Dura Ace rear derailleur and a Ultegra
    front derailleur or vice versa?

    Basically I'm not entirely sure whats compatible with what.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:29:18 GMT, bluenose
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have a road bike with Tiagra triple groupset on it.
    >
    >I'm very keen to upgrade. I've just purchased a Ultegra triple crank and
    >want to purchase a front and rear derailleur. Will my Tiagra shifters
    >work with Ultegra and Dura Ace or will I have to upgrade my shifters as
    >well? Also, could I have, say, a Dura Ace rear derailleur and a Ultegra
    >front derailleur or vice versa?
    >
    >Basically I'm not entirely sure whats compatible with what.

    Everything you mentioned is compatible in any combination. Front
    derailers can be finicky, so it may be helpful to match the front
    derailer to the crank (but it probably won't make a difference
    either way).

    Be sure that your bottom bracket fits the crank -- square taper vs
    octalink splined, whatever.

    If you're replacing the cassette, be aware of cog spacing (for
    indexing) and total width (to fit on the hub).

    For all of this, there's loads of info if you google groups or read
    up at sheldonbrown.com.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  3. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    bluenose <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a road bike with Tiagra triple groupset on it.
    >
    > I'm very keen to upgrade. I've just purchased a Ultegra triple crank and
    > want to purchase a front and rear derailleur. Will my Tiagra shifters
    > work with Ultegra and Dura Ace or will I have to upgrade my shifters as
    > well? Also, could I have, say, a Dura Ace rear derailleur and a Ultegra
    > front derailleur or vice versa?
    >
    > Basically I'm not entirely sure whats compatible with what.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance

    Hi, any combinations of the above are fine, with one exception, the
    front deraileur. The DA FD is optimized for the DA crank, which is
    30-39-53, while the Ultegra, 105, and Tiagra are better with
    30-42-52. The DA Fd will work, as I used one for a while with a Tiagra
    crank, but shifts weren't all that good.
    So go with an Ultegra FD. You will need to replace your bottom
    bracket, as Tiagra has a square taper and Ultegra has the Octalink.
    The shifters are all interchangable, except that the DA left side is
    specific to double or triple. Although I believe the 9 speed doubles
    are not being made anyore, replaced by the 10 speed double. The DA
    triple 7703 is available, which is what you would need if you go with
    DA.
    This winter I upgrade my Tiagra equiped bike, to mostly DA, including
    crankset, STI levers, bottom bracket, chain and rear derailleur. As I
    mentioned, I already had a DA FD. Cassette is Ultegra and hubs will be
    DA, when I get my wheels built. With careful shopping, there are some
    excellent deals to be had.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  4. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

    "Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | bluenose <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    | > Hi there,
    | >
    | > I have a road bike with Tiagra triple groupset on it.
    | >
    | > I'm very keen to upgrade. I've just purchased a Ultegra triple crank and
    | > want to purchase a front and rear derailleur. Will my Tiagra shifters
    | > work with Ultegra and Dura Ace or will I have to upgrade my shifters as
    | > well? Also, could I have, say, a Dura Ace rear derailleur and a Ultegra
    | > front derailleur or vice versa?
    | >
    | > Basically I'm not entirely sure whats compatible with what.
    | >
    | > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    | >
    | > Many thanks in advance
    |
    | Hi, any combinations of the above are fine, with one exception, the
    | front deraileur. The DA FD is optimized for the DA crank, which is
    | 30-39-53, while the Ultegra, 105, and Tiagra are better with
    | 30-42-52. The DA Fd will work, as I used one for a while with a Tiagra
    | crank, but shifts weren't all that good.
    | So go with an Ultegra FD. You will need to replace your bottom
    | bracket, as Tiagra has a square taper and Ultegra has the Octalink.
    | The shifters are all interchangable, except that the DA left side is
    | specific to double or triple. Although I believe the 9 speed doubles
    | are not being made anyore, replaced by the 10 speed double. The DA
    | triple 7703 is available, which is what you would need if you go with
    | DA.
    | This winter I upgrade my Tiagra equiped bike, to mostly DA, including
    | crankset, STI levers, bottom bracket, chain and rear derailleur. As I
    | mentioned, I already had a DA FD. Cassette is Ultegra and hubs will be
    | DA, when I get my wheels built. With careful shopping, there are some
    | excellent deals to be had.

    It's your bikes and money, but usually a Tiagra equipped bike is on the low
    end everywhere. Unless you're scoring the Ultegra and DuraAce cheap, it
    may not be worth the trouble unless you really really like the frame.

    BTW, I agree that all the stuff is compatible, more or less.

    John

  5. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    John Rees ([email protected]) wrote in message
    [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message
    >>This winter I upgrade my Tiagra equiped bike, to mostly DA,

    including
    >> crankset, STI levers, bottom bracket, chain and rear derailleur. As

    >> mentioned, I already had a DA FD. Cassette is Ultegra and hubs will

    be
    >> DA, when I get my wheels built. With careful shopping, there are

    some
    >> excellent deals to be had.

    >It's your bikes and money, but usually a Tiagra equipped bike is on

    the low
    >end everywhere. Unless you're scoring the Ultegra and DuraAce cheap,

    it
    >may not be worth the trouble unless you really really like the frame.

    >BTW, I agree that all the stuff is compatible, more or less.

    >John

    Hi John, I got good prices on all components and sold some of the old
    parts on Ebay. The bike in question is a 2002 LeMond Tourmalet, which
    is the same steel frame as the Buenos Aires. So, for me it was worth
    it and it gave me an opportunity to do my own work. Which was an
    excellent chance to learn more about bikes.
    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  6. Bluenose

    Bluenose Guest

    John Rees wrote:

    > | Hi, any combinations of the above are fine, with one exception, the
    > | front deraileur. The DA FD is optimized for the DA crank, which is
    > | 30-39-53, while the Ultegra, 105, and Tiagra are better with
    > | 30-42-52. The DA Fd will work, as I used one for a while with a Tiagra
    > | crank, but shifts weren't all that good.
    > | So go with an Ultegra FD. You will need to replace your bottom
    > | bracket, as Tiagra has a square taper and Ultegra has the Octalink.
    > | The shifters are all interchangable, except that the DA left side is
    > | specific to double or triple. Although I believe the 9 speed doubles
    > | are not being made anyore, replaced by the 10 speed double. The DA
    > | triple 7703 is available, which is what you would need if you go with
    > | DA.
    > | This winter I upgrade my Tiagra equiped bike, to mostly DA, including
    > | crankset, STI levers, bottom bracket, chain and rear derailleur. As I
    > | mentioned, I already had a DA FD. Cassette is Ultegra and hubs will be
    > | DA, when I get my wheels built. With careful shopping, there are some
    > | excellent deals to be had.
    >
    > It's your bikes and money, but usually a Tiagra equipped bike is on the low
    > end everywhere. Unless you're scoring the Ultegra and DuraAce cheap, it
    > may not be worth the trouble unless you really really like the frame.
    >
    > BTW, I agree that all the stuff is compatible, more or less.
    >
    > John

    I have an OCR2 frame with the Tiagra groupset. I bought a lower end bike
    because I wasn't sure how much I would actually end up riding or even
    whether I'd enjoy it. It just so happens that I truely love riding and
    it's become my hobby/passion.

    I've been slowly upgrading my bike via eBay when I see things come up at
    the right price. Some may think that upgrading an OCR2 isn't worth it
    and thats there opinion. But my OCR frame is fine for me atm and if need
    be I'll buy a custom frame and transfer all my upgrades/purchases
    across. It may end up costing me more money in the long run. But at
    least I'm getting the benefit of my upgrades now.

    Thanks Rick, Jeff and John for taking the time to respond to my post.
    Your info has been most helpful. I'm on the look out for a D/A triple
    (RD), Ultegra triple (FD), Ultegra BB and some Ultegra shifters if I see
    them at the right price, of course. No hurry. :)

    Kind regards