Tiagra vs. Ultegra

gobluebrett

Sep 14, 2004
On the Shimano website, it says that the Tiagra is built on the same basic design as the Ultegra. How much difference is there in performance? I just figured I would throw this out there for all you experts to answer. Thanks.

Brett

gobluebrett said:
On the Shimano website, it says that the Tiagra is built on the same basic design as the Ultegra. How much difference is there in performance? I just figured I would throw this out there for all you experts to answer. Thanks.

Brett
It's the motor. But with tiagra,the motor has to drag around a bit more.

I guess that I'm a newbie, but what exactly would that equate to in performance, because my Allez that has Tiagra is a very good shifter. Sorry, but I guess I just don't understand what you mean.

Brett

Put a water bottle in your holder and you've made a significantly bigger differerence in weight than Tiagra vs. Ultegra. Notice much impact to your riding? If they're shifting fine (and there's nothin wrong w/Tiagra when set up correctly), be happy with them. Rotational weight is more important, put yer $ in a nicer wheelset.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love my Tiagra, I was just wondering what the difference was. Thanks for putting this in perspective though.

gobluebrett said:

Brett
Smoother shifting, but I guess that's subjective. I keep my Tiagra in very good condition so it really isn't a big issue for me. Less weight and more durable componentry is what Tiagra vs. Ultegra is all about.

RC2 said:
Put a water bottle in your holder and you've made a significantly bigger differerence in weight than Tiagra vs. Ultegra. Notice much impact to your riding? If they're shifting fine (and there's nothing wrong w/Tiagra when set up correctly), be happy with them. Rotational weight is more important, put yer $ in a nicer wheelset.
Excellent point.

gobluebrett, Tiagra is plenty good enough for 90% of the people using road bikes, especially if it's a first bike.

Most of the difference is in looks and weight. Performance difference is minimal. Tiagra just seems to kind of "feel" a little clunkier(?). My wife has Tiagra on her road bike and I have DA. Hers seems to shift just as well as mine.