Tibialis Anterior Muscles

TipsterMan

Aug 12, 2005
I'm just starting out in serious cycling and wanted some advise from someone who's physiologically minded.

I used to be a good runner when I was in my late teens but had to retire at 19 (14 years ago now :eek: ) due to sever pain in my shins when running. Everyone kept telling me it was shin splints and advised me on the appropriate treatment, but I couldn't get rid of it.

It was only two years ago that I went to see a physio (a former club member who I knew personally) and he referred me to a clinic in London where I finally found out what the problem was. It turned out to be compartment syndrome in the tibialis anterior muscles, those on the outside of the shin bone. Basically those muscles are too big for the muscle sheaf and when I exercise those muscles and the muscles expand, it causes the nerves and blood vessels to be crushed causing the pain.

I was wondering whether cycling for long periods is likely to work these muscles too much. So far I have been training for up to 90 minutes at a constant pace to build my fitness up and I don't seem to have had problems so far.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

TipsterMan said:
I'm just starting out in serious cycling and wanted some advise from someone who's physiologically minded.

I used to be a good runner when I was in my late teens but had to retire at 19 (14 years ago now :eek: ) due to sever pain in my shins when running. Everyone kept telling me it was shin splints and advised me on the appropriate treatment, but I couldn't get rid of it.

It was only two years ago that I went to see a physio (a former club member who I knew personally) and he referred me to a clinic in London where I finally found out what the problem was. It turned out to be compartment syndrome in the tibialis anterior muscles, those on the outside of the shin bone. Basically those muscles are too big for the muscle sheaf and when I exercise those muscles and the muscles expand, it causes the nerves and blood vessels to be crushed causing the pain.

I was wondering whether cycling for long periods is likely to work these muscles too much. So far I have been training for up to 90 minutes at a constant pace to build my fitness up and I don't seem to have had problems so far.

compartment syndrome (or shin splints, as it's referred to more often) sucks, but will not likely cause problems during cylcing. i would think that the recruitment of tibillias anterior during a pedal stroke would be of much less intensity than when running/sprinting on ground. if it does start to bother you, begin icing for 10-15 minutes after each ride and go see a massage therapist to get them worked on.

TipsterMan said:

Based on the forces involveld in cycling (namely the torque during the upstroke, which is very small) and those involved during running (which involves impact forces of many, many times our own body weight), I would suggest that you have a much better chance of being active on the bike than as a runner.
If you keep your cadence around 85-95rpm and focus on simply "lightening the load" on your feet during the upstroke and focus on putting power to the pedals on the downstroke, you'll be better off.
Some advocate a "circular" pedal stroke, where the power/torque of the upstroke is meant to be the same/similar to the power/torque of the downstroke. Attempting this will put a lot of stress on the tibialis anterior, and is not a technique that RST advocates. Otherwise, as a reference, even at high intensities the peak torque/force requirements of cycling are less than those used to lift only moderate weights in a gym
Also very important is that you progress your training in a reasonably stuctured manner. Make small progressions as you go, giving your legs time to absorb the training and respond in a positive manner.
Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it would cause me too many problems.

I do feel as though I have a general weakness in the lower leg area, particularly the calf, which is quite strange given that I'm naturally blessed with larger than average muscles;) . (Shame it's only the legs:eek: ). How would I go about increasing that strength without increasing the bulk? Or would that kinda come naturally?

Hiya,

I had exactly the same thing, I did physio but it didn't particualy help!

ICE IS THE ANSWER until the sheath that holds the muscle to the bone grows.

Mine are fine now as this was a couple of rugby seasons ago and i was only 15 then, but Ice helps alot, and I've not had any problems with my Shins since, I would also reccomend that you really do a thorough warm up, when I was just starting to play again after I had time out with my shins, I would break away from the pack and do a good 20-25 minute warm-up before a rugby match.

And yes my leg muscles are nice n big aswell, cycling gets them lovely and toned aswell! :D

Hope it helps, and cycling has given me no probs with it.

Alex ;-)

thirdeye73 said:
if it does start to bother you, ...<snip>... go see a massage therapist to get them worked on.
Just to add a word of caution....as a general guideline, an injured muscle, tendon or ligament should not be worked on by a standard massage therapist. Massage can be stressful for muscles, etc, often causing soreness the following days. During a state of acute injury, this could prove to cause more harm than good.
More specifically to the T.A. muscles, if a therapist is not properly trained, they might not know, for example, that one should *not* massage the T.A. *away* from the tibia when one is experiencing acute pain in that area. This could potentially increase the damage to that area.
As an example, I am not a physical therapist...just a piece of information that has come my way. :)

Smartt/RST said:
Just to add a word of caution....as a general guideline, an injured muscle, tendon or ligament should not be worked on by a standard massage therapist. Massage can be stressful for muscles, etc, often causing soreness the following days. During a state of acute injury, this could prove to cause more harm than good.
More specifically to the T.A. muscles, if a therapist is not properly trained, they might not know, for example, that one should *not* massage the T.A. *away* from the tibia when one is experiencing acute pain in that area. This could potentially increase the damage to that area.
As an example, I am not a physical therapist...just a piece of information that has come my way. :)
Micheal, good points that i failed to point out in my first post. i am a massage therapist, and quite frankly just assumed that any competent therapist would be aware of these contraindications and methods.

graale00 said:
Hiya,

I had exactly the same thing, I did physio but it didn't particualy help!

ICE IS THE ANSWER until the sheath that holds the muscle to the bone grows.

Mine are fine now as this was a couple of rugby seasons ago and i was only 15 then, but Ice helps alot, and I've not had any problems with my Shins since, I would also reccomend that you really do a thorough warm up, when I was just starting to play again after I had time out with my shins, I would break away from the pack and do a good 20-25 minute warm-up before a rugby match.

And yes my leg muscles are nice n big aswell, cycling gets them lovely and toned aswell! :D

Hope it helps, and cycling has given me no probs with it.

Alex ;-)
That's an interesting point Alex. So does the ice actually encourage the sheaf to grow?

As for the massage, yes, I've certainly had some poor massage. I remember being sore for days after one session.

TipsterMan said:
That's an interesting point Alex. So does the ice actually encourage the sheaf to grow?

As for the massage, yes, I've certainly had some poor massage. I remember being sore for days after one session.
ice will help bring down the inflammation of the fibers, not cause the sheath to grow.

thirdeye73 said:
ice will help bring down the inflammation of the fibers, not cause the sheath to grow.
Yes, it causes the swelling to go down, works wonders, I also used this blue strectchy stuff whilst playing to wrap round my legs to spread the swelling, forget what it's called but it was like a really stretchy blue sport strapping, available from any chemist really, quite expensive mind!

The "massages" in my personal experience were useless from the Physio, but I did do them myself daily! It helps to relieve the pressure as it spreads the swelling. Pain killers help aswell, but that is just to mask the pain.

Definately get sport strapping, go under your foot, wrap it round, and then work your way up you leg until underneath your knee and secure it, it's not a good idea to use safety pins in contact sports by the way lol!

graale00 said:
Yes, it causes the swelling to go down, works wonders, I also used this blue strectchy stuff whilst playing to wrap round my legs to spread the swelling, forget what it's called but it was like a really stretchy blue sport strapping, available from any chemist really, quite expensive mind!

Definately get sport strapping, go under your foot, wrap it round, and then work your way up you leg until underneath your knee and secure it, it's not a good idea to use safety pins in contact sports by the way lol!

Assuming that a person has a true compartment syndrome of the AT, placing a firm, external force would be contraindicated. The application of an external force would simply heighten the compartment pressures in the muscular compartment. Compartment syndromes are most common involving the AT. The leg has 4 compartments. Ice would promote a decrease in the muscular swelling but would not have any effect upon the fascia and tibia that provide the boundaries to the AT compartment. Obviously if it were an acute and serious compartment syndrome, one would require release of the fascia overlying the muscle to allow the muscle to expand. Otherwise the muscle will necrosis and die. If one suspected a compartment syndrome visiting an orthopedic surgeon might be a good first step. It is possible to have a subacute form and this may be one of the possible differential diagnosis for the symptoms posted in this discussion. Of course a good history and physical are required and my posting is based on an assumption and not applicable to an individual or patients actual treatment.

I also agree with Smartt/RST that the forces involved in cycling are less injurious as compared to running. Incremental increases in a positive and systematic fashion does make sense - assuming that medically one does not have an acute compartment syndrome and assuming one has been seen by an appropriate doctor for examination.

Data and information is provided for informational and educational purposes only, and is not intended for diagnosis or treatment. I have posted making an assumption of compartment syndrome, but a history and physical examination are the only true means to begin a proper and appropriate diagnosis that may progress to a treatment plan or recommendations for an individual. Also let me state that I am not an orthopedic surgeon and that would be a good first place to start for a proper exam.

Good luck,

Mark Goldberg

www.vascular-solutions.com