Tick, tick, tick...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Zilla, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    No it's not a bomb, but the little critter kind.

    I went riding yesterday for about one hour, and slept soundly last night. When I got to work this
    morning, my wife calls and says she found a tick crawling on my pillow. Obviously I must have picked
    it up during the ride, but no tick bite on me anywhere - thank you!

    Any lotion or spray to persuade these critters to stay away?

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in news:VCaEa.2717$Dc2.979 @fe09.atl2.webusenet.com:
    > Any lotion or spray to persuade these critters to stay away?

    DEET based insect repellants suposedly work, but the problem is that ticks jump off tall grass and
    bushes onto your clothing, then they crawl up your shirt to your neck. You probably don't want to
    use DEET all over your body. A better approach is to inspect your skin (everywhere) immediately
    after ending your ride. As long as you get them off at the end of your ride, they can't do much
    damage. Look especially under your socks around the edges of your clothing. A friend would be
    helpful (sometimes fun, too). Wash your hair vigerously to get them out of your hair.

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Getting them out of my hair is easy - I don't have any. :) (Except on arms and legs, and, well....)

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in news:VCaEa.2717$Dc2.979 @fe09.atl2.webusenet.com:
    > > Any lotion or spray to persuade these critters to stay away?
    >
    > DEET based insect repellants suposedly work, but the problem is that ticks jump off tall grass and
    > bushes onto your clothing, then they crawl up your shirt to your neck. You probably don't want to
    > use DEET all over your
    body.
    > A better approach is to inspect your skin (everywhere) immediately after ending your ride. As long
    > as you get them off at the end of your ride,
    they
    > can't do much damage. Look especially under your socks around the edges
    of
    > your clothing. A friend would be helpful (sometimes fun, too). Wash your hair vigerously to get
    > them out of your hair.

  4. Zilla says:

    >Any lotion or spray to persuade these critters to stay away?

    Not that I've found to be any good. The best way is to do a rigourous "tick check" after any
    considerable time spent outdoors. If you have a SigOther to share the check with, it can become
    interesting. ;-)

    Steve

  5. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I went riding yesterday and when I rode over to put down a few Guinness some of the same. The wife
    says you bring your friends with you. There was a catipillar on my shoulder and a spider bite on the
    underside of my fore- arm. Pests are here to stay.

    Fire up MTB 03

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I went riding yesterday and when I rode over to put down a few Guinness some of the same. The wife
    > says you bring your friends with you. There was a catipillar on my shoulder<snip>

    Was it a D9?

    JD needs one for racing

  7. Kara Tyson

    Kara Tyson Guest

    You may want to try something called Permethrin.

    Or you could wear a dog collar at the ankles (I know people who do that).

    Kara Tyson Lyme Disease Support Group of AL

  8. Kara Tyson

    Kara Tyson Guest

    Oh, but the Permethrin is just for clothing. Do not put in on your skin.

  9. Kara Tyson

    Kara Tyson Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I went riding yesterday and when I rode over to put down a few Guinness some of the same. The wife
    > says you bring your friends with you. There was a catipillar on my shoulder and a spider bite on
    > the underside of my fore- arm. Pests are here to stay.
    >
    > Fire up MTB 03
    __________________________
    Are you absolutly sure this was a spider bite??

    Just checking,

    Kara Tyson Lyme Disease Support Group of AL

  10. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Kara Tyson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Or you could wear a dog collar at the ankles (I know people who do that).

    Any of 'em single females?

    Bill "last tic was a twitchy eye" S.

  11. Wanguard

    Wanguard Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Getting them out of my hair is easy - I don't have any. :) (Except on arms and legs, and,
    > well....)
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)
    >

    > "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in news:VCaEa.2717$Dc2.979 @fe09.atl2.webusenet.com:
    > > > Any lotion or spray to persuade these critters to stay away?
    > >
    > > DEET based insect repellants suposedly work, but the problem is that
    ticks
    > > jump off tall grass and bushes onto your clothing, then they crawl up
    your
    > > shirt to your neck. You probably don't want to use DEET all over your
    > body.
    > > A better approach is to inspect your skin (everywhere) immediately after ending your ride. As
    > > long as you get them off at the end of your ride,
    > they
    > > can't do much damage. Look especially under your socks around the edges
    > of
    > > your clothing. A friend would be helpful (sometimes fun, too). Wash
    your
    > > hair vigerously to get them out of your hair.

    Me not an expert. But me have the same problem and me found following. DEET based stuff seams to be
    strongest stuff but it is not very friendly for skin and definitely not to synthetic material.
    Brains who are making Autan seams to get an another chemical less aggressive and strong as DEET,
    products are AUTAN ACTIVE. Also there are many natural repellents, mostly Citrus based, which comes
    even in version that are super good for your skin.

    So, browse a bit on a web you will find more detailed information.

    D'amir

  12. Alexn

    Alexn Guest

    "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Though now i have a little bottle of Bens 100 Max Formula (95% N,N- diethyl-m-toluamide, whatever
    > that is)

    That would be Deet.

  13. Technician

    Technician Guest

    AlexN <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote
    >

    > > Though now i have a little bottle of Bens 100 Max Formula (95% N,N- diethyl-m-toluamide,
    > > whatever that is)
    >
    > That would be Deet.

    Ahh, i see. so why do they feel the need to post the chemical name, when DEET would suffice (most
    people know DEET, but not that other name).

    And further more, how do they get DEET from "N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide"? if it were up to me, i would
    have called it NDMT or something similar.
    --
    ~Travis

  14. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > what's wrong with DEET on skin? The insect repellant i used in the past had DEET, and i would
    > cover my arms, legs, neck, behind my ears, and basically any exposed skin that would not sweat
    > into my eyes (sprayed my helmet for that part of me).<snip>

    The repellent formulas that work the best, the ones with a high concentration of DEET, can cause
    chemical burns. I wiped my hand across my forehead - just wiping off sweat - after applying insect
    repellent to my arms and legs. The amount that transfered to my skin was enough to give me blistered
    burns where my helmet pads touched my forehead. I confine my usage of the high octane stuff to very
    light sprayings and only in areas where nothing's going to be pressing or rubbing.

    You have to be careful about getting it on plastics, too. I guess if your helmet hasn't melted by
    now, it's probably ok.

    Kathleen

  15. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Kathleen <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Technician wrote:
    >
    > > what's wrong with DEET on skin? The insect repellant i used in the past had DEET, and i would
    > > cover my arms, legs, neck, behind my ears, and basically any exposed skin that would not sweat
    > > into my eyes (sprayed my helmet for that part of me).<snip>
    >
    > The repellent formulas that work the best, the ones with a high concentration of DEET, can cause
    > chemical burns. I wiped my hand across my forehead - just wiping off sweat - after applying insect
    > repellent to my arms and legs. The amount that transfered to my skin was enough to give me
    > blistered burns where my helmet pads touched my forehead. I confine my usage of the high octane
    > stuff to very light sprayings and only in areas where nothing's going to be pressing or rubbing.

    Hmmm, duly noted. Guess i will apply a thinner layer than normal.

    > You have to be careful about getting it on plastics, too. I guess if your helmet hasn't melted by
    > now, it's probably ok.

    Probably the main reason my helmet has not melted is i don't really use insect repellant all that
    much. only if riding in a place known to be concentrated with biting insects, and if i don't feel i
    will be able to keep in motion enough to keep the blood suckers at bay, then i will apply some
    repellant, otherwise i am not bothered by insects. i will usually apply a little on the top of the
    cheek bones, just to keep them away from my eyes though. But interestingly, i just happened to start
    noticing strange burns under my watch band. guess just washing after a ride is not enough. gotta
    wash that fabric watch band too. i'm actually glad you mentioned this as i was getting a little
    worried about those burns as they came seemingly from nowhere.
    --
    ~Travis

  16. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Technician <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Kathleen <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > > The repellent formulas that work the best, the ones with a high concentration of DEET, can cause
    > > chemical burns.

    Just noticed, the other repellant with DEET had only 23%, the new stuff i got has 95%, so i guess it
    would be a good idea to use it very sparingly if the other stuff was strong enough to cause burns
    under my watch band.

    BTW, what is considered a high concentration?
    --
    ~Travis

  17. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Technician wrote:
    > Technician <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    >
    >>Kathleen <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    >>
    >>>The repellent formulas that work the best, the ones with a high concentration of DEET, can cause
    >>>chemical burns.
    >>

    > Just noticed, the other repellant with DEET had only 23%, the new stuff i got has 95%, so i guess
    > it would be a good idea to use it very sparingly if the other stuff was strong enough to cause
    > burns under my watch band.
    >
    > BTW, what is considered a high concentration?

    The stuff that burned me was about 35%, IIRC. If it was me, I don't think I'd use the 95%
    stuff at all. It'd probably be a good idea to just keep your watch in your camelbak. Even if
    you don't wind up with chemical burns, after marinating in sweat and insect repellent even
    synthetic fabrics will start to stink.

    There's something about being bitten, even by an insect, that's disgusting on a visceral
    level. At the last flyball tournament we went to, several of us were walking our dogs around
    the hotel grounds. There was a snot-nosed urchin - probably 7 or 8 years old - riding his
    bike around the grounds, buzzing past us as close as he could manage and barking at the
    dogs, trying to get a rise out of them as his trailer trash father and mother watched from
    the upstairs balcony, smiling indulgently. Requests to keep the bike away from the dogs
    brought no results, and though we briefly fantasized letting one or two of the more
    excitable dogs loose "accidentally", the risk was deemed too high. The dogs were current on
    their shots, but you can't vaccinate against everything and god only knew what the little
    cretin might have been carrying. I got mine, though. While attempting to obtain the best
    possible line of attack, the kid had followed us up a hill on the lawn, then went even
    further up, into an unmowed area, with grass and weeds grown maybe 2 feet tall, all the
    better to gain speed on his kamakazi runs past the dogs. As we prepared to return to our
    rooms, I called up to his mother, all helpful concern... "Oh, hey, you'll want to check your
    boy over real carefully before bedtime tonight. He was up playing around in the tall grass,
    and it's just *loaded* with ticks."

    "OMIGAWD!!!! THEO!!!!! GIT YOUR BUTT UP HERE RAHT NAOW!!!!!! "MAAAAAA!!!!"

    Kathleen

  18. Wanguard

    Wanguard Guest

    > what's wrong with DEET on skin? The insect repellant i used in the past had DEET, and i would
    > cover my arms, legs, neck, behind my ears, and basically any exposed skin that would not sweat
    > into my eyes (sprayed my helmet for that part of me).
    >
    > Though now i have a little bottle of Bens 100 Max Formula (95% N,N- diethyl-m-toluamide, whatever
    > that is) that i keep in my bak.
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    It's wrong that it's kind a pesticide. And its applied on your skin when is most wournable. So if
    you are not burnt immidiatly like Kathleen was, it's a question of absorbing that agressive
    chemichal in your organisam that can result in ... something wrong. For example, you cannot catch
    cancer, you develop one with time. So if you can and care, it's wise to avoide bad things.

    D'

  19. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 20:59:34 -0400, Zilla wrote:

    > No it's not a bomb, but the little critter kind.
    >
    > I went riding yesterday for about one hour, and slept soundly last night. When I got to work this
    > morning, my wife calls and says she found a tick crawling on my pillow. Obviously I must have
    > picked it up during the ride, but no tick bite on me anywhere - thank you!
    >
    > Any lotion or spray to persuade these critters to stay away?

    Deet works OK, but the best thing is to avoid hitting brush as you go by. I've stopped and examined
    some bushes in bad tick areas and you can see clumps of ticks swarming over the end of every branch
    and leaf. No amount of deet or anything else is going to save you from that. Wear white socks, make
    the little bastards easier to see. I tend to pick them up on my socks (aside from the endo into the
    bushes case), so I check them pretty often.

    -Bruce

  20. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Kathleen <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Technician wrote:
    > > Technician <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > >
    > >>Kathleen <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    > > Just noticed, the other repellant with DEET had only 23%, the new stuff i got has 95%, so i
    > > guess it would be a good idea to use it very sparingly if the other stuff was strong enough to
    > > cause burns under my watch band.
    > >
    > > BTW, what is considered a high concentration?
    >
    > The stuff that burned me was about 35%, IIRC. If it was me, I don't think I'd use the 95%
    > stuff at all. It'd probably be a good idea to just keep your watch in your camelbak. Even if
    > you don't wind up with chemical burns, after marinating in sweat and insect repellent even
    > synthetic fabrics will start to stink.

    Well, i tried a good drip on a band-aid, stuck it on my arm, and went for a ride to see if it did
    bad things. after a good hour ride, plus the 4 hours extra where i forgot to take it off, and it
    left no real burn, just a slightly irritated looking patch that did not feel any different. what
    this tells me is, either it does not affect my skin (on my arm anyway) as bad, or my skin is just
    really tough. either way, i think i will limit any use to maybe 2 or 3 hours tops (IOW, apply when
    the bugs get thick, not before the ride).

    That sounds like a good idea with taking the watch off. i usually only wash it once in a while, when
    i notice the sweet smell of rotting flesh coming from my wrist. the lack of sweat should improve it
    quite a bit, though.
    --
    ~Travis