Ticking BB, crank bolts loosened to 15 ft/lb

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim C, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Jim C

    Jim C Guest

    OK so if my crank bolts have loosened (<200 miles since proper installation) to around 15 ft/lbs is
    it correct to retighten ( to 25-30) them or not?

    Jim C Waterford 1200 Chorus Group

    Tags:

  2. Bobqzzi

    Bobqzzi Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:48:04 GMT, jim C <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK so if my crank bolts have loosened (<200 miles since proper installation) to around 15 ft/lbs is
    >it correct to retighten ( to 25-30) them or not?
    >

    >Jim C Waterford 1200 Chorus Group

    No

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    jim C <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK so if my crank bolts have loosened (<200 miles since proper installation) to around 15 ft/lbs is
    >it correct to retighten ( to 25-30) them or not?

    If this is on a tapered bottom bracket spindle - don't do it. That "loosening" is normal, and is
    factored into the original crank bolt tightening spec. The crank will always squirm up the taper
    slightly, effectively "loosening" the crank bolt. But it doesn't mean the crank has gotten
    looser - in fact, it's gotten TIGHTER on the BB spindle (by moving up the taper), which is what
    really matters.

    If it's a non-tapered "spline type" bottom bracket, crank away.

  4. Jim C

    Jim C Guest

    What is the ticking from, the cup? Should I pull the cranks and retighten the BB? As I have less
    than 200 miles on this setup, I was expecting some re-tightening somewhere. Perhaps I will also try
    re-greasing my pedal threads too.

    Jim Heavyweight at 210

    "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > jim C <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> OK so if my crank bolts have loosened (<200 miles since proper installation) to around 15 ft/lbs
    >> is it correct to retighten ( to 25-30) them or not?
    >
    > If this is on a tapered bottom bracket spindle - don't do it. That "loosening" is normal, and is
    > factored into the original crank bolt tightening spec. The crank will always squirm up the taper
    > slightly, effectively "loosening" the crank bolt. But it doesn't mean the crank has gotten looser
    > - in fact, it's gotten TIGHTER on the BB spindle (by moving up the taper), which is what really
    > matters.
    >
    > If it's a non-tapered "spline type" bottom bracket, crank away.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

    Jim C

    [email protected]

  5. jim-<< OK so if my crank bolts have loosened (<200 miles since proper installation) to around 15
    ft/lbs is it correct to retighten ( to 25-30) them or not?
    >><BR><BR>

    Grease the threads of the bolts, also a wee bit onto the flats of the crank where the rings
    live...make them tight....they are steel...

  6. Crank bolts, crank bolts...sorry...saw chainring bolts...

    Install onto a dry spindle(ala Campagnolo rec) and tighten to that torque..once and first, go ride.