Ticking headset

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul Davis, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. Paul Davis

    Paul Davis Guest

    I have an Inbred with rigid forks and a Cane Creek S2 headset.

    I've recently had the stem changed and the headset has been adjusted so that
    there is no play in the headset.

    I have just noticed though that if I apply the front brake and rock the bike
    there is a slight ticking/clicking noise which seems to be coming from the
    top race. I was wondering whether this is okay? Would it just be the
    bearings moving against the race as force is applied to the steerer or do I
    need to tighten the headset?

    I can detect no play in the headset, either whilst rocking the bike or by
    grabbing the forks and trying to move them against the frame.

    Thanks for any thoughts,
    PJay

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Paul Davis wrote:
    > I have an Inbred with rigid forks and a Cane Creek S2 headset.
    >
    > I've recently had the stem changed and the headset has been adjusted
    > so that there is no play in the headset.
    >
    > I have just noticed though that if I apply the front brake and rock
    > the bike there is a slight ticking/clicking noise which seems to be
    > coming from the top race. I was wondering whether this is okay? Would
    > it just be the bearings moving against the race as force is applied
    > to the steerer or do I need to tighten the headset?
    >
    > I can detect no play in the headset, either whilst rocking the bike
    > or by grabbing the forks and trying to move them against the frame.

    The clicking noise could be play, perhaps just too slight to for you to
    recognise it as play . Otherwise it's worrying and a mystery to me.

    ~PB

  3. Paul Davis

    Paul Davis Guest

    Thanks,

    I have tightened up the headset a little and the ticking has gone, the
    steering is still nice and smooth.

    Just out of interest, since the ticking was only coming from the top race
    does it mean that by tightening things up until it stoppen that they
    bearings in the lower race will be under more load?

    Thanks again,
    PJay

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Paul Davis wrote:
    > Just out of interest, since the ticking was only coming from the top
    > race does it mean that by tightening things up until it stoppen that
    > they bearings in the lower race will be under more load?

    Yes, tightening the headset effectively pushes the lower cup on frame's
    head harder against the fork crown race, so load is increased on both
    upper and lower races simultaneously.

    > Thanks again,

    Happy to help,
    ~PB

  5. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Paul Davis [email protected] opined the following...
    > Thanks,
    >
    > I have tightened up the headset a little and the ticking has gone, the
    > steering is still nice and smooth.
    >
    > Just out of interest, since the ticking was only coming from the top race
    > does it mean that by tightening things up until it stoppen that they
    > bearings in the lower race will be under more load?

    It's more likely to mean that the load has been evened out over both
    sets of bearings, rather than being concentrated in the lower set (The
    upper set was mobile AIUI).

    Jon

  6. Paul Davis

    Paul Davis Guest

    Although tightening up the headset removes the ticking sound whilst rocking
    the bike, sitting on the bike with the front brake on and rocking the bike
    with my body weight on the saddle can also result in a slight ticking sound
    from the upper race. Do I need to tighten the headset until this disappears
    too? I don't really want to overtighten things either. The frame and forks
    are steel with a bit of flex (I don't know whether this makes a differance).

    I'm pretty new to bike maintainence and starting to try and find my way
    around the bike for stuff I can do myself at home. I'll take the bike into
    my local bike shop tomorrow so that they can check the headset and see how
    I've done.

    Thanks

    PJay

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Paul Davis wrote:
    > Although tightening up the headset removes the ticking sound whilst
    > rocking the bike, sitting on the bike with the front brake on and
    > rocking the bike with my body weight on the saddle can also result in
    > a slight ticking sound from the upper race. Do I need to tighten the
    > headset until this disappears too? I don't really want to overtighten
    > things either.

    That's the danger -- overtightening. I think it's best to err on the side
    of play if in doubt, for the time being at least...........

    > The frame and forks are steel with a bit of flex (I
    > don't know whether this makes a differance).

    No.

    > I'm pretty new to bike maintainence and starting to try and find my
    > way around the bike for stuff I can do myself at home. I'll take the
    > bike into my local bike shop tomorrow so that they can check the
    > headset and see how I've done.

    Not a bad idea. Good luck.

    ~PB