Ticking sound when peddling

Frank

Guest
I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The front
tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear this
'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?

Frank

Frank <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
> front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear
> this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
>
> Frank

first, identify the frequency of the tick. is it once or twice per wheel rotation or crank rotation?

I am thinking loose crank, dry BB (although that makes more of a "screee" sound), loose pedals. if
it was a wheel, it would not stop when you stop pedaling, and the drivetrain tends to make more of a
grinding sound IME. first, try tightening the cranks. next, if that does not work, try tightening
the pedals. now, one of the pedals is reverse threaded. a good way to remember, is with the wrench
at the top (vertical above the pedal), forward tightens, and backward loosens, IIRC.
--
~Travis

Frank wrote:
> I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
> front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear
> this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?

I recently had a really irritating bout of ticking-while-pedaling with my 'bent. After I checked out
the rear shock, the cranks, the bottom bracket and the drive train, I was able to remedy the problem
by tucking in the shoe laces (new bike shoes).

The moral of the story? Don't overlook the obvious.

Kathleen "Duh!"

The moral of the story? Don't overlook the obvious.

if only i new that about three years ago when i got a new bike...

it made this banging sound whenever i pedled... thats what happens when you bend the stand ...

once again dont overlook the obvious...

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
> front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear
> this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
>
> Frank

It's probably some grime in your bottom bracket. Or your crank arm is a little loose where it meets
the spindle. Of course, it could be the bearings in your pedals too. Or maybe, if you have clipless
pedals, the cleat/clip interface. Or maybe it's your seatpost rails. Or maybe you have a small crack
in your frame. Perhaps the tick is coming from the chain, which might mean a bind in the links that
'clicks' when it reaches the cogs. Or maybe you put the wheel back in out of alignment, and the
shifting is off. Or maybe.... /s

supabonbon <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek
mtb..
> > The front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i
> > hear this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any
idea
> > what I did wrong or where to check?
> >
> > Frank
>
> It's probably some grime in your bottom bracket. Or your crank arm is a little loose where it
> meets the spindle. Of course, it could be the bearings in your pedals too. Or maybe, if you have
> clipless pedals, the cleat/clip interface. Or maybe it's your seatpost rails. Or maybe you have a
> small crack in your frame. Perhaps the tick is coming from the chain, which might mean a bind in
> the links that 'clicks' when it reaches the cogs. Or maybe you put the wheel back in out of
> alignment, and the shifting is off. Or maybe.... /s

I think it's his pedal powered watch.

Shaun aRe

Kathleen <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Frank wrote:
> > I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
> > front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i
> > hear this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
>

> I recently had a really irritating bout of ticking-while-pedaling with my 'bent. After I checked
> out the rear shock, the cranks, the bottom bracket and the drive train, I was able to remedy the
> problem by tucking in the shoe laces (new bike shoes).
>
> The moral of the story? Don't overlook the obvious.
>
> Kathleen "Duh!"

ahh yes, i tie my laces to the outside so the big ugly floppy bow (why do shoe makes put 20' of shoe
laces on a single shoe?) hangs over the out side of my shoe. before that, they did tick on
everything, and one loop is near shredded after it had a run in with the big ring.
--
~Travis

bomba <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Twisties wrote:
> > i suppose another moral of the story could be dont bend your stand...
>
> Why on earth would you ride with your workstand still attached?

I think he meant kick stand, but IMO the same goes.
--
~Travis

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Frank wrote:
> > I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
> > front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i
> > hear this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
>

> I recently had a really irritating bout of ticking-while-pedaling with my 'bent. After I checked
> out the rear shock, the cranks, the bottom bracket and the drive train, I was able to remedy the
> problem by tucking in the shoe laces (new bike shoes).
>
> The moral of the story? Don't overlook the obvious.
>
> Kathleen "Duh!"

The last time that one fooled me was about 1987. I have a standard "tuck" that works well in
preventing this phenomenon.

JD

Whilst rampantly masturbating, on Wed, 11 Jun 2003
02:25:59 GMT, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:

>now when i ride, i hear this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or
>where to check?
>
>Frank

U need a left handed thread maker.

I had a front derailler with alittle extra cable the would hit the crank. A bend and that was the
end of that.

"Vince" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I had a front derailler with alittle extra cable the would hit the crank.
> bend and that was the end of that.

I have a rear wheel that clicks on every revolution because it's so out of true that 1/8th of the
spokes on the NDS have 0 tension, and I assume the rim compresses and bottoms out against the nipple
with my weight on it. I wonder if I can just take those spokes out entirely...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<X%[email protected]>...
> "Vince" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I had a front derailler with alittle extra cable the would hit the crank.
> > bend and that was the end of that.
>
> I have a rear wheel that clicks on every revolution because it's so out of true that 1/8th of the
> spokes on the NDS have 0 tension, and I assume the rim compresses and bottoms out against the
> nipple with my weight on it. I wonder if I can just take those spokes out entirely...

HAHAHAHA....you psycho.

JD

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
> front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear
> this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
>
> Frank

Check your cable ends...rear brake, front and rear mechs...make sure none of them are hitting the
wheel or, in the front, the crankarms.

Chris

I know you must have gotten several helpful responses by now. I've had your problem a few times over
the past 10 years. I'd check..

1. As Chris said, check the cable ends...rear brake, front and rear mechs.

2. Do you have a Cyclometer (a trip computer?). If so, make sure that the sensor that is mounted on
the wheel isn't touching the sensor that is mounted on the fork when the wheel rotates.

3. If none of the above solve the problem, check your spokes to make sure they are tight. . I once
had a loose spoke that was making a ticking sound.

Hope this helps.

Bob

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 02:25:59 GMT, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
>front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear
>this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
>
>Frank

Originally posted by Frank
I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The front
tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear this
'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?

This sounds stupid, but if it ticks when you pedal try tightening your seat.