Ticking sound when peddling

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Frank, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The front
    tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear this
    'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?

    Frank

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Frank <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
    > front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear
    > this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
    >
    > Frank

    first, identify the frequency of the tick. is it once or twice per wheel rotation or crank rotation?

    I am thinking loose crank, dry BB (although that makes more of a "screee" sound), loose pedals. if
    it was a wheel, it would not stop when you stop pedaling, and the drivetrain tends to make more of a
    grinding sound IME. first, try tightening the cranks. next, if that does not work, try tightening
    the pedals. now, one of the pedals is reverse threaded. a good way to remember, is with the wrench
    at the top (vertical above the pedal), forward tightens, and backward loosens, IIRC.
    --
    ~Travis

  3. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
    > front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear
    > this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?

    I recently had a really irritating bout of ticking-while-pedaling with my 'bent. After I checked out
    the rear shock, the cranks, the bottom bracket and the drive train, I was able to remedy the problem
    by tucking in the shoe laces (new bike shoes).

    The moral of the story? Don't overlook the obvious.

    Kathleen "Duh!"

  4. Twisties

    Twisties New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    if only i new that about three years ago when i got a new bike...

    it made this banging sound whenever i pedled... thats what happens when you bend the stand ...

    once again dont overlook the obvious...

  5. Twisties

    Twisties New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    i suppose another moral of the story could be dont bend your stand...

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  7. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  8. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
    > front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear
    > this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
    >
    > Frank

    It's probably some grime in your bottom bracket. Or your crank arm is a little loose where it meets
    the spindle. Of course, it could be the bearings in your pedals too. Or maybe, if you have clipless
    pedals, the cleat/clip interface. Or maybe it's your seatpost rails. Or maybe you have a small crack
    in your frame. Perhaps the tick is coming from the chain, which might mean a bind in the links that
    'clicks' when it reaches the cogs. Or maybe you put the wheel back in out of alignment, and the
    shifting is off. Or maybe.... /s

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    supabonbon <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek
    mtb..
    > > The front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i
    > > hear this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any
    idea
    > > what I did wrong or where to check?
    > >
    > > Frank
    >
    > It's probably some grime in your bottom bracket. Or your crank arm is a little loose where it
    > meets the spindle. Of course, it could be the bearings in your pedals too. Or maybe, if you have
    > clipless pedals, the cleat/clip interface. Or maybe it's your seatpost rails. Or maybe you have a
    > small crack in your frame. Perhaps the tick is coming from the chain, which might mean a bind in
    > the links that 'clicks' when it reaches the cogs. Or maybe you put the wheel back in out of
    > alignment, and the shifting is off. Or maybe.... /s

    I think it's his pedal powered watch.

    Shaun aRe

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Kathleen <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Frank wrote:
    > > I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
    > > front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i
    > > hear this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
    >

    > I recently had a really irritating bout of ticking-while-pedaling with my 'bent. After I checked
    > out the rear shock, the cranks, the bottom bracket and the drive train, I was able to remedy the
    > problem by tucking in the shoe laces (new bike shoes).
    >
    > The moral of the story? Don't overlook the obvious.
    >
    > Kathleen "Duh!"

    ahh yes, i tie my laces to the outside so the big ugly floppy bow (why do shoe makes put 20' of shoe
    laces on a single shoe?) hangs over the out side of my shoe. before that, they did tick on
    everything, and one loop is near shredded after it had a run in with the big ring.
    --
    ~Travis

  11. Technician

    Technician Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > Twisties wrote:
    > > i suppose another moral of the story could be dont bend your stand...
    >
    > Why on earth would you ride with your workstand still attached?

    I think he meant kick stand, but IMO the same goes.
    --
    ~Travis

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Frank wrote:
    > > I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
    > > front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i
    > > hear this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
    >

    > I recently had a really irritating bout of ticking-while-pedaling with my 'bent. After I checked
    > out the rear shock, the cranks, the bottom bracket and the drive train, I was able to remedy the
    > problem by tucking in the shoe laces (new bike shoes).
    >
    > The moral of the story? Don't overlook the obvious.
    >
    > Kathleen "Duh!"

    The last time that one fooled me was about 1987. I have a standard "tuck" that works well in
    preventing this phenomenon.

    JD

  14. Whilst rampantly masturbating, on Wed, 11 Jun 2003
    02:25:59 GMT, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >now when i ride, i hear this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or
    >where to check?
    >
    >Frank

    U need a left handed thread maker.

  15. Vince

    Vince Guest

    I had a front derailler with alittle extra cable the would hit the crank. A bend and that was the
    end of that.

  16. "Vince" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I had a front derailler with alittle extra cable the would hit the crank.
    > bend and that was the end of that.

    I have a rear wheel that clicks on every revolution because it's so out of true that 1/8th of the
    spokes on the NDS have 0 tension, and I assume the rim compresses and bottoms out against the nipple
    with my weight on it. I wonder if I can just take those spokes out entirely...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  17. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<X%[email protected]>...
    > "Vince" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I had a front derailler with alittle extra cable the would hit the crank.
    > > bend and that was the end of that.
    >
    > I have a rear wheel that clicks on every revolution because it's so out of true that 1/8th of the
    > spokes on the NDS have 0 tension, and I assume the rim compresses and bottoms out against the
    > nipple with my weight on it. I wonder if I can just take those spokes out entirely...

    HAHAHAHA....you psycho.

    JD

  18. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
    > front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear
    > this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
    >
    > Frank

    Check your cable ends...rear brake, front and rear mechs...make sure none of them are hitting the
    wheel or, in the front, the crankarms.

    Chris

  19. I know you must have gotten several helpful responses by now. I've had your problem a few times over
    the past 10 years. I'd check..

    1. As Chris said, check the cable ends...rear brake, front and rear mechs.

    2. Do you have a Cyclometer (a trip computer?). If so, make sure that the sensor that is mounted on
    the wheel isn't touching the sensor that is mounted on the fork when the wheel rotates.

    3. If none of the above solve the problem, check your spokes to make sure they are tight. . I once
    had a loose spoke that was making a ticking sound.

    Hope this helps.

    Bob

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 02:25:59 GMT, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm a bike newb. a few days ago i changed the tires and installed it back on my Trek mtb.. The
    >front tire was easy, but the rear was more complicated due to the chain.. now when i ride, i hear
    >this 'ticking' sound when i'm peddling... Any idea what I did wrong or where to check?
    >
    >Frank

  20. Carpking

    Carpking New Member

    Joined: