Tide in Seattle July 24th? and Portland, OR the following week?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jon Bond, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Well, I've almost got the trip set up. Still need to buy tickets, but everything else is worked out.

    I'm going to be in Seattle (Gig Harbor, actually) for a few days. Ideally, Thursday the 24th would
    be a good time to ride (my host has to work). I'd need to rent a bike, and I'd probably need
    transportation too, because I can't rent a car :(

    Starting Monday, I'll also be right near Portland, OR (or in the city - I've got three houses to hop
    around). I'm probably going to be in the area for 3 or 4 nights, I'm not 100% sure yet. Anybody up
    for a ride there, with the same deal as above?

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Oops - thats "RIDE" in seattle.

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I've almost got the trip set up. Still need to buy tickets, but everything else is
    > worked out.
    >
    > I'm going to be in Seattle (Gig Harbor, actually) for a few days.
    Ideally,
    > Thursday the 24th would be a good time to ride (my host has to work). I'd need to rent a bike, and
    > I'd probably need transportation too, because I can't rent a car :(
    >
    > Starting Monday, I'll also be right near Portland, OR (or in the city -
    I've
    > got three houses to hop around). I'm probably going to be in the area for
    3
    > or 4 nights, I'm not 100% sure yet. Anybody up for a ride there, with the same deal as above?
    >
    > Jon Bond

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I've almost got the trip set up. Still need to buy tickets, but everything else is
    > worked out.
    >
    > I'm going to be in Seattle (Gig Harbor, actually) for a few days.
    Ideally,
    > Thursday the 24th would be a good time to ride (my host has to work). I'd need to rent a bike, and
    > I'd probably need transportation too, because I can't rent a car :(
    >
    > Starting Monday, I'll also be right near Portland, OR (or in the city -
    I've
    > got three houses to hop around). I'm probably going to be in the area for
    3
    > or 4 nights, I'm not 100% sure yet. Anybody up for a ride there, with the same deal as above?
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Jon Bond! omg omg omg!

    Well it's a coincidence or something... but I was planning to take a trip up there during that same
    week! (It's too darned hot here in July) I was scoping out a few trails near Redmond (about 12 miles
    from Seattle, ATCF). Planning to mail one of my bikes up there, then mail it back. I haven't bought
    tickets yet, either... but I hope it works out so we can ride together. I mean, I'm not sponsored or
    anything... but we could probably still have a good time.

    What do you say?

    -John Morgan

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WSxHa.73540$%[email protected]...

    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I've almost got the trip set up. Still need to buy tickets, but everything else is
    > > worked out.
    > >
    > > I'm going to be in Seattle (Gig Harbor, actually) for a few days.
    > Ideally,
    > > Thursday the 24th would be a good time to ride (my host has to work).
    I'd
    > > need to rent a bike, and I'd probably need transportation too, because I can't rent a car :(
    > >
    > > Starting Monday, I'll also be right near Portland, OR (or in the city -
    > I've
    > > got three houses to hop around). I'm probably going to be in the area
    for
    > 3
    > > or 4 nights, I'm not 100% sure yet. Anybody up for a ride there, with
    the
    > > same deal as above?
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >

    > Jon Bond! omg omg omg!
    >
    > Well it's a coincidence or something... but I was planning to take a trip
    up
    > there during that same week! (It's too darned hot here in July) I was scoping out a few trails
    > near Redmond (about 12 miles from Seattle, ATCF). Planning to mail one of my bikes up there, then
    > mail it back. I haven't bought tickets yet, either... but I hope it works out so we can ride
    > together. I mean, I'm not sponsored or anything... but we could probably still have a good time.
    >
    > What do you say?
    >
    > -John Morgan

    I don't know if I can ride with a rider who isn't sponsored... because chances are you're going to
    be faster than me anyway ;)

    Hey, works for me, as long as you don't mind toting me and my bike around. I'm probably going to get
    there either monday 21st or tuesday the 22nd, and I'm going up to vancouver on the 25th. If that
    works for you, I'm totally up for it. I'll find somewhere to rent a bike - I can probably steal a
    car for an hour or get a ride to the shop to pick up the bike, but I don't want to steal a car for
    the full time of the ride.

    I've heard good things about "green mountain" nearby, but you'd be providing transportation, so its
    totally your choice. ;)

    Jon Bond

  5. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > I don't know if I can ride with a rider who isn't sponsored... because chances are you're going to
    > be faster than me anyway ;)
    >
    > Hey, works for me, as long as you don't mind toting me and my bike around. I'm probably going to
    > get there either monday 21st or tuesday the 22nd,
    and
    > I'm going up to vancouver on the 25th. If that works for you, I'm totally up for it. I'll find
    > somewhere to rent a bike - I can probably steal a
    car
    > for an hour or get a ride to the shop to pick up the bike, but I don't
    want
    > to steal a car for the full time of the ride.
    >
    > I've heard good things about "green mountain" nearby, but you'd be
    providing
    > transportation, so its totally your choice. ;)
    >
    > Jon Bond

    ROFL! Sponsorship or no, you're still a good guy. I don't care HOW much money Shimano is
    losing on you...

    yeah... I'll push to get my trip scheduled for the week of the 20th. With any luck it might line up.

    Are there any locals who would like to show us around? I've never been there before, but the weather
    looks beautiful. Last year I went to Colorado... absolutely amazing trails there, but the weather
    was only 10 degrees cooler than here... making it just under 100 degrees the entire trip.

    -John Morgan

  6. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BgyHa.73593$%[email protected]...
    > > I don't know if I can ride with a rider who isn't sponsored... because chances are you're going
    > > to be faster than me anyway ;)
    > >
    > > Hey, works for me, as long as you don't mind toting me and my bike
    around.
    > > I'm probably going to get there either monday 21st or tuesday the 22nd,
    > and
    > > I'm going up to vancouver on the 25th. If that works for you, I'm
    totally
    > > up for it. I'll find somewhere to rent a bike - I can probably steal a
    > car
    > > for an hour or get a ride to the shop to pick up the bike, but I don't
    > want
    > > to steal a car for the full time of the ride.
    > >
    > > I've heard good things about "green mountain" nearby, but you'd be
    > providing
    > > transportation, so its totally your choice. ;)
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >
    > ROFL! Sponsorship or no, you're still a good guy. I don't care HOW much money Shimano is losing
    > on you...

    Heh, Tufts Cycling isn't THAT good - we still pay for parts, its just cheaper ;)

    > yeah... I'll push to get my trip scheduled for the week of the 20th. With any luck it might
    > line up.

    Score.

    > Are there any locals who would like to show us around? I've never been there before, but the
    > weather looks beautiful. Last year I went to Colorado... absolutely amazing trails there, but the
    > weather was only 10 degrees cooler than here... making it just under 100 degrees the entire trip.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    We might even got some of that famous rain. As if I haven't had enough already here in New England!

    Jon Bond

  7. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Jon Bond wrote:

    > We might even got some of that famous rain. As if I haven't had enough already here in New
    > England!
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Funny that would leave the east coast during the rainiest season to go to of all places....
    Seattle!!! and it's probably drier there!!!!

    Jimbo...I'm all washed out!!!(san)

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    John Morgan thoughtfully penned:
    > Are there any locals who would like to show us around? I've never been there before, but the
    > weather looks beautiful. Last year I went to Colorado... absolutely amazing trails there, but the
    > weather was only 10 degrees cooler than here... making it just under 100 degrees the entire trip.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    That would be Cameron, or BB in Portland.

    Penny

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    jimbo(san) thoughtfully penned:
    > Jon Bond wrote:
    >

    >> We might even got some of that famous rain. As if I haven't had enough already here in New
    >> England!
    >>
    >> Jon Bond
    >
    > Funny that would leave the east coast during the rainiest season to go to of all places....
    > Seattle!!! and it's probably drier there!!!!

    It's misty a lot and drizzley, but not "rainy".

    The sun comes out once in a while, everyone takes the day off.

    penny

  10. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well, I've almost got the trip set up. Still need to buy tickets, but everything else is
    > worked out.
    >
    > I'm going to be in Seattle (Gig Harbor, actually) for a few days. Ideally, Thursday the 24th would
    > be a good time to ride (my host has to work). I'd need to rent a bike, and I'd probably need
    > transportation too, because I can't rent a car :(
    >
    > Starting Monday, I'll also be right near Portland, OR (or in the city - I've got three houses to
    > hop around). I'm probably going to be in the area for 3 or 4 nights, I'm not 100% sure yet.
    > Anybody up for a ride there, with the same deal as above?
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Commander, Plz keep the ng in the loop as to your riding schedule. I'll be in central WA probably
    the 23rd on for 4 to 6 days, and could drive up to something around Snoqualmie Pass, Mt. St. Helens,
    Mt. Rainier, Leavenworth, etc. to hook up with the homies for some riding.

    I'd also be willing to meet you n Blaine around the Columbia Gorge if that works out.

    Sounds like you might not want to drive more than an hour+ to these spots, but hey, it's worth
    thinking about.

    Paladin

  11. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Well, I've almost got the trip set up. Still need to buy tickets, but everything else is
    > > worked out.
    > >
    > > I'm going to be in Seattle (Gig Harbor, actually) for a few days.
    Ideally,
    > > Thursday the 24th would be a good time to ride (my host has to work).
    I'd
    > > need to rent a bike, and I'd probably need transportation too, because I can't rent a car :(
    > >
    > > Starting Monday, I'll also be right near Portland, OR (or in the city -
    I've
    > > got three houses to hop around). I'm probably going to be in the area
    for 3
    > > or 4 nights, I'm not 100% sure yet. Anybody up for a ride there, with
    the
    > > same deal as above?
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >
    > Commander, Plz keep the ng in the loop as to your riding schedule. I'll be in central WA probably
    > the 23rd on for 4 to 6 days, and could drive up to something around Snoqualmie Pass, Mt. St.
    > Helens, Mt. Rainier, Leavenworth, etc. to hook up with the homies for some riding.
    >
    > I'd also be willing to meet you n Blaine around the Columbia Gorge if that works out.
    >
    > Sounds like you might not want to drive more than an hour+ to these spots, but hey, it's worth
    > thinking about.
    >
    > Paladin

    Will do. The main problem of me driving more than an hour to anywhere is that I don't have a car.
    I'd rent one, but you need to be 25. Stupid rules if you ask me, because I know tons of older
    drivers who are way less cautious than me (I'm generally a pretty safe driver - stop for yellows, no
    tickets, no accidents, etc). Oh well.

    So basically, if I can get a ride, I'll go wherever. I'm actually staying fairly close to Tacoma
    (see http://tinyurl.com/eja7 for an ideaof my approximate location), so mount rainier isn't too far
    away, and I'm sure there are a bunch more nearby too.

    Let me know! I'm probably going to get there on the 21st, so from the 22nd through the 24th, I'm
    good to go. Possibly in the morning of the 25th, but no guarantee there. The 24th would be ideal.

    Jon Bond

  12. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > jimbo(san) thoughtfully penned:
    > > Jon Bond wrote:
    > >

    > >> We might even got some of that famous rain. As if I haven't had enough already here in New
    > >> England!
    > >>
    > >> Jon Bond
    > >
    > > Funny that would leave the east coast during the rainiest season to go to of all places....
    > > Seattle!!! and it's probably drier there!!!!
    > >

    > It's misty a lot and drizzley, but not "rainy".
    >
    > The sun comes out once in a while, everyone takes the day off.
    >
    > penny

    I lived in Seattle for a year in 7th grade. After 6 mos there, I asked this Seattle-native kid on a
    bmx bike if it *ever* stopped raining. "How would I know, I'm only 10 years old?"

    Paladin

  13. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On 11 Jul 2003 16:56:58 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sorry I'm a little late in this thread; I've been out of the country for awhile.

    Welcome Back! I hope the trip was as nice you where planning on it being.

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  14. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:02:06 GMT, Bill Porter wrote:
    > On 11 Jul 2003 16:56:58 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry I'm a little late in this thread; I've been out of the country for awhile.
    >
    > Welcome Back! I hope the trip was as nice you where planning on it being.

    It was fantastic! Didn't really run into rain, which was my main worry. And the full effects of food
    poising didn't kick in until yesterday (doh!).

  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry I'm a little late in this thread; I've been out of the country for awhile.
    >
    > Jon Bond wrote:
    >
    > > So basically, if I can get a ride, I'll go wherever. I'm actually
    staying
    > > fairly close to Tacoma (see http://tinyurl.com/eja7 for an ideaof my approximate location), so
    > > mount rainier isn't too far away, and I'm sure there are a bunch more nearby too.
    >
    > There's bound to be something in the Olympic National Park, which is close to Gig Harbor. Not sure
    > what's allowed there, though.
    >
    > Mt St Helens is in between Gig Harbor & Portland, and could be a really interesting ride. I'd be
    > inclined to join you there, and could provide an (older) Marin hardtail (and a ride from Woodland
    > on I-5). Its too far away from Gig to be a reasonable daytrip, though.
    >
    > I'm in Portland, and I'm on sabbatical (sort of an extended vacation) until the 4th of August. How
    > much free time do you have?
    >
    > Warning: I'm 44 and haven't been riding nearly as much this year as Paladin (who's equally
    > ancient) :)
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

    I am even more late on this thread, but Jon email me direct for plenty of stuff near you. There are
    day options of Gibbs, Tahuya up north, followed by Mt Galbraith near Bellingham (lots of new clear
    cut but big big area), South and east flanks of Mt St Helens are 3 hours away and can be done in a
    day no problem. Capital Forest is about 30 miles south....Stella futher, but I haven't ridden that
    one. Like I said, email me if you want some directions or ideas.

    I am going to ride a couple of new routes for me this week in Wenatchee (2 hours from seattle)
    and East St Helens, 3 hours from Seattle. These are 1-2 hours closer from Portland. Of course
    from Portland, you have other options in the Columbia Gorge, McKenzie river (to be ridden this
    summer) etc etc

    Bob