Tie and solder: any alternatives to DT pre-tinned wire?

On 2005-11-14 16:14:30 -0500, [email protected] said:

>>> You didn't say why you want to undertake this tedious chore. I
>>> hope you are aware that measurements were made on hand built wheels
>>> furnished by Wheelsmith before and after tying and soldering to
>>> prove that there was no possible structural effect from this
>>> process.

>>> John Starley invented cross laced spoking on high wheelers so that
>>> he could tie spokes at crossing points to prevent them from causing
>>> a header when they broke. That was the initial purpose of cross
>>> lacing spokes, so that they could be tied together. Shortly after
>>> that Renold showed Starley his bicycle chain and the chain driven
>>> bicycle of today was born.

>>> Wheel builders were furious that he made tying spokes unnecessary
>>> so they began using wire and soldering them to convince people that
>>> this made their wheels "stronger" without showing the need for that
>>> strength or how it could affect durability. They got so good a
>>> telling these fables that 100 years passed without a real challenge
>>> to the concept. It was pure faith... "why would they lie to me?"
>>> Well, in fact the art was so old that the purveyors believed it
>>> themselves.

>>> I assure you that there is nothing to it, except that replacing a
>>> broken spoke becomes more difficult. I've seen it done back when
>>> this was a common practice.

>> My reason is pure vanity - I think it looks cool. I ride vintage
>> racing bikes and it adds yet a little aesthetics to the bike.

> Well that's a valid cause. I believe old track bicycles look best
> with high flange (Racelite/Airlite) hubs, 28 or 32 thin spokes tied
> and soldered, looking as though the really lived in those days.

The British FB Airlite hubs, classic.

> Of
> course, inch pitch block chain is also an important piece of
> nostalgia.
>
> http://derbyking.com/Detail/?n=131
>
> I recall how Jack Disney, our local monster sprinter, insisted that
> track sprinters were too strong for 3/32 road chain and that only a
> 3/16 by inch pitch block chain could reliably transmit the power. All
> his wheels were tied and soldered.
>
> His 15 degree droop nosed steel bar stems with bars that curved down
> from the clamp with no "tops" to them, they being only designed for
> riding on the drops. Ah yes, the old classics.

This must have been something extra for sure! I will search the web for
a picture of a handle bar like this.

Thanks for the info about the Wippermann chain. It is the first time I
hear about it.

mike

On 2005-11-14 17:41:45 -0500, "B Paton" <[email protected]> said:

> I think i recall someone posting a link to a bee-keeping supply house for
> this purpose last year..might be worth searching the archives. This is what
> Gerd Shranen started with and the DT is modelled after it.
> Blake

Thanks for the tip, I will sure try and find the info.
mike

On 2005-11-14 12:03:07 -0500, "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> said:

> "mike anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I am looking for an alternative to DT Proline pre-tinned wire.
>>
>> I would like to try tying and soldering for practice. I know

> that DT
>> sells wire and solder, but it is pricey. Are there suitable

> items
>> available? I would like to find an alternative that is as easy

> to yank
>> as the DT wire. I will use the knot-free method.
>>
>> I know the question of tie and solder have been discussed many

> times. I
>> am just looking for a more economical pre-tinned wire

> regardless if the
>> method is useful or not.
>>
>> Any help would be most appreciated,

> If you are just doing it for soldering practice, I would suggest
> building a little 6 watt tube amp and doing point to point
> wiring. At least you will end up with something fun to listen
> to.

Thanks for the tip :)

> But if you must tie and solder wheels, scavenge some old T.V.
> twin lead and strip out the copper wire. Use that, and then buy
> some silver bearing solder -- like they use for stainless steel
> and food service equipment. It will be sold with appropriate
> liquid flux at your local welding store. This type of solder
> will polish up, and your little ties-and-solders will look like
> jewelry. You will need a really high wattage soldering iron. I
> used to use a propane torch. I gave this up years ago, though -- and
> not because of the Book or the haranguing I received from
> Jobst. I just have so many other things to do, and it did not
> seem to make much of a difference, if any. -- Jay Beattie.

This was an interesting way. To make it sparkle like jewelry sounds
very attractive indeed.

One reason for finding something similar to DT wire is that it should
preferably be easy to yank off. When visiting my local hardware store
they had a plain 0,4mm wire that was impossible to yank off by hand.

About soldering iron; my idea is to find one on 100 watt. I assume this
will be good enough ...

Thanks again,
mike

On 2005-11-13 23:05:44 -0500, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> said:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 02:42:45 -0500, mike anderson wrote:
>
>> I know the question of tie and solder have been discussed many times. I
>> am just looking for a more economical pre-tinned wire regardless if the
>> method is useful or not.

> You don't need a pre-tinned wire. Why do you think you do?

It would help to avoid annealing.

On 2005-11-13 22:56:46 -0500, Werehatrack <[email protected]> said:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 02:42:45 -0500, mike anderson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for an alternative to DT Proline pre-tinned wire.

> Try an arts and crafts supply store, or look for tinned magnet wire at
> an electronics supply house. It really doesn't have to be steel wire,
> you know; the tying and soldering has no structural effect on the
> wheel, so use whatever you want.
>
>> I would like to try tying and soldering for practice.

> I'll assume that this is essentially an academic exercise; why not
> pursue it on something where the downside (making it hard to replace a
> spoke) isn't a factor?
>
>> I know that DT sells wire and solder, but it is pricey. Are there
>> suitable items available? I would like to find an alternative that is
>> as easy to yank as the DT wire. I will use the knot-free method.

> Having never dealt with the DT, I have no comparison to provide, but
> from experience in other fields, if the solder adheres properly, you
> should not be able to easily strip the joint without applying heat
> unless the wire guage is fairly large and the solder coverage is
> scant. If it's possible to do so with small-guage wire, then you had
> a cold joint, and didn't get a good bond anyway...in which case, what
> was the point? If the guage of the wire is large and the solder is
> applie sparingly, it's often possible to unwind the joint without
> heating even with ordinary copper wire (from about 20AWG up, at least)
> as long as a tip is accessible to grab with pliers. For what you
> propose to do, then, I see no reason not to simply use some 20 or 18
> guage bare copper. It takes the solder as readily as you're likely to
> want. Tinned copper is widely available, however, and is even easier
> to deal with for this. "Beekeepers wire", which is tinned iron, is
> available at many farm and ranch supply houses, and would work just as
> well. Small-guage electric fencing wire might also work; it's
> available from the same places.

Copper wire would be just as fine. 20 gauge (0,81mm) sound a bit thick
though. DT wire is 0,4mm.

>> I know the question of tie and solder have been discussed many times. I
>> am just looking for a more economical pre-tinned wire regardless if the
>> method is useful or not.

> As noted, there are sources for tinned small-guage wire outside the
> world of bikes. Bike suppliers have largely discontinued supplying it
> because there is effectively no demand for it anymore...with good
> reason. If you're just trying to recreate a museum piece, though, the
> materials can be had readily enough with a little poking around.

Thank you very much, excellent tips!
mike

mike anderson wrote:
> > '....now lessee, how long before
> > Jobst........SECOND POST!!!
> >
> > Way to stay predictable Jobst!!

> Embarrassing. You have done more than your share in here - although far
> from what Mr. Brandt has achieved - do not spoil it by acting like a
> bully.
>
> mike anderson

Lets not lose our sense of humor there Mike...it's all about 'toys'
afterall...

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I recall how Jack Disney, our local monster sprinter, insisted that
> > track sprinters were too strong for 3/32 road chain and that only a
> > 3/16 by inch pitch block chain could reliably transmit the power. All
> > his wheels were tied and soldered.

> ah, the old jobstian ad hominem with a paralleled but irrelevant nugget
> of truth to bait away from the point of contention.

Could you point out the ad hominen element of argument that you see in JB's
post?

Because I must have missed it.

Your post, on the other hand...

On 2005-11-15 08:39:02 -0500, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> said:

> mike anderson wrote:
>>> '....now lessee, how long before
>>> Jobst........SECOND POST!!!
>>>
>>> Way to stay predictable Jobst!!

>> Embarrassing. You have done more than your share in here - although far
>> from what Mr. Brandt has achieved - do not spoil it by acting like a
>> bully.
>>
>> mike anderson

> Lets not lose our sense of humor there Mike...it's all about 'toys'
> afterall...

If your intention was humorous than I am sorry for my remark.
mike

jtaylor wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>>I recall how Jack Disney, our local monster sprinter, insisted that
>>>track sprinters were too strong for 3/32 road chain and that only a
>>>3/16 by inch pitch block chain could reliably transmit the power. All
>>>his wheels were tied and soldered.

>>ah, the old jobstian ad hominem with a paralleled but irrelevant nugget
>>of truth to bait away from the point of contention.

> Could you point out the ad hominen element of argument that you see in JB's
> post?
>
> Because I must have missed it.

look up what it means. jobst points out that the old inch pitch chain
argument is bunk, and tries to use that, with the fact that an inch
pitch advocate also has t&s spokes, to use the former to associate the
latter with similar status. but it's a logical fallacy. if you miss
that you are either falling for jobst's expertise and many years of
practice, /or/ you're taking that position just for the sake of
contradiction, regardless of accuracy.

> Your post, on the other hand...

qed.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jtaylor wrote:
> > "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >>ah, the old jobstian ad hominem with a paralleled but irrelevant nugget
> >>of truth to bait away from the point of contention.

> > Could you point out the ad hominen element of argument that you see in

JB's
> > post?
> >
> > Because I must have missed it.

> look up what it means. jobst points out that the old inch pitch chain
> argument is bunk, and tries to use that, with the fact that an inch
> pitch advocate also has t&s spokes, to use the former to associate the
> latter with similar status. but it's a logical fallacy. if you miss
> that you are either falling for jobst's expertise and many years of
> practice, /or/ you're taking that position just for the sake of
> contradiction, regardless of accuracy.
>

> > Your post, on the other hand...

An "ad hominem" argument is an unwarranted attack on the character of the
person making an opposing argument, one which fails to address the issues
raised. Would you please point out where in JB's post he was attacking a
person's character, who that person was, and in what way it was unwarranted.

jtaylor wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>jtaylor wrote:
>>
>>>"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Could you point out the ad hominen element of argument that you see in

> JB's
>
>>>post?
>>>
>>>Because I must have missed it.

>>look up what it means. jobst points out that the old inch pitch chain
>>argument is bunk, and tries to use that, with the fact that an inch
>>pitch advocate also has t&s spokes, to use the former to associate the
>>latter with similar status. but it's a logical fallacy. if you miss
>>that you are either falling for jobst's expertise and many years of
>>practice, /or/ you're taking that position just for the sake of
>>contradiction, regardless of accuracy.
>>

>>>Your post, on the other hand...

>>qed

> An "ad hominem" argument is an unwarranted attack on the character of the
> person making an opposing argument, one which fails to address the issues
> raised. Would you please point out where in JB's post he was attacking a
> person's character, who that person was, and in what way it was unwarranted.

you missed the bit about ad hominem as logical fallacy. if of course
you ignore his derogatory comments about disney.

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:02:57 -0800, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

>jtaylor wrote:
>> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>ah, the old jobstian ad hominem with a paralleled but irrelevant nugget
>>>of truth to bait away from the point of contention.

>> Could you point out the ad hominen element of argument that you see in JB's
>> post?
>>
>> Because I must have missed it.

>look up what it means. jobst points out that the old inch pitch chain
>argument is bunk, and tries to use that, with the fact that an inch
>pitch advocate also has t&s spokes, to use the former to associate the
>latter with similar status. but it's a logical fallacy. if you miss
>that you are either falling for jobst's expertise and many years of
>practice, /or/ you're taking that position just for the sake of
>contradiction, regardless of accuracy.

Nope. When Jobst goes ad hominem it doesn't need you to explain what happened.

Even Jobst is allowed to chat and relate anecdotes without presumption of
sinister motive.

Ron

jtaylor wrote:
>>>"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

> An "ad hominem" argument is an unwarranted attack on the character of the
> person making an opposing argument, one which fails to address the issues
> raised. Would you please point out where in JB's post he was attacking a
> person's character, who that person was, and in what way it was unwarranted.

Jobst's ad hominem was very subtle. You have to understand this: it is
commonly accepted that no track sprinter is too strong for 3/32" chain.
Since Jack Disney believed otherwise, his technical credibility is
undermined. The implied reasoning goes like this: "Jack was wrong about
chains. Jack doesn't know jack." In a technical arena, an attack on
technical competence is tantamount to an attack on character.

jim beam's ad hominems are generally less subtle.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu