Tight 180 turn

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mark U., Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Mark U.

    Mark U. Guest

    In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast turn around the pylon at the
    turnaround?

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Mark U. <[email protected]> wrote:
    : In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast turn around the pylon at
    : the turnaround?

    : Mark

    Practice making the turn. Take a racing line. There's probably any number of ways of getting around
    smoothly and safely, ie, no one correct technique.

    I like to position myself on the bike with my weight to the inside while the bike is held
    more upright. I also use my shoulders and hips to actually pull the bike through the corner.
    Give it a try.

    Keeping your body low and butt back on the seat seems to help get through 180s fast too.

    I recommend trying different things to find out what works for you. Practice with good tyres (plenty
    of grip) and maybe, for safety, hit the corner unclipped so that you have a chance of getting a foot
    down if the bike does step out on you. Also, do this in a place where you don't have to worry about
    traffic; perhaps in a closed cark park.

    Hope this helps, cheerz, Lynzz

  3. Go slightly past the cone, then make a single curving 130 degree or so turn, not a semi-circle.

    < < < < < <
    _____________
    - _ Cone-> OF -_ _____________________)

    Hope the illustration is clear enough.

    Practice. Practice the turn and practice waiting to the last minute to slam on your brakes. Practice
    the fastest speed you can safely make the turnaround. Figure out what gear you need to jump out of
    the turn in.

    Before the race, go to the turnaround and scout it out. It all adds up to free time.

    "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:vf4n12q[email protected]...
    > In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
    turn
    > around the pylon at the turnaround?
    >
    > Mark

  4. Xzzy

    Xzzy Guest

    "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
    turn
    > around the pylon at the turnaround?
    >
    > Mark

    my 2 cents about road TTs starts and turnarounds.

    1. the few seconds spent in the start or the turnaround will not win the race, but blasting out of
    the start or turnaround can cause you to slow down for a while to recover from that effort and
    that can cause you to lose. So get up to race pace quickly, but not too quickly. What does this
    'quick' thing mean - practice a couple of short TTs to dial in your proper launch speed.

    2. TTs are usually held on open roads = keep your head up and watch for traffic, again the start and
    turnaround are only a few to several seconds in the whole TT, unless the TT is VERY short,
    properly getting up to speed in a TT is not the win or lose problem to be solved.

    3. VERY "Late braking" allows you a few 10ths extra time for coasting and thus recovery (but maybe
    not on specialized TT bikes that do not corner well)

    4. In bicycle racing, in my road experience, the best line through a turn is the line that (1)
    minimizes the time spent on the approaching straightaway, (2) maximizes the amount of momentum
    you carry through the turn = least effort to get back up to speed, and (3) given that sometimes
    bad things can happen, proactively prevent problems.

    John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

  5. "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
    turn
    > around the pylon at the turnaround?
    >
    > Mark

    Bunny hop, 360 degrees spin. More cyclist need to practice bmx move. Don't taco wheel on descend,
    you must learn to lean and control center of gravity. Best way.

    Taiko

  6. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
    turn
    > around the pylon at the turnaround?
    >
    > Mark

    No. The best thing I have found is to take time & make sure you get round safely. I have seen people
    try to turn fast & end up in a ditch (I tried not to laugh). If you slow down you will lose less
    than 5 seconds. You can make that back up elsewhere.

    Stan Cox

  7. J999w

    J999w Guest

    >Go slightly past the cone, then make a single curving 130 degree or so turn, not a semi-circle.
    >
    >< < < < < <
    >_____________
    > - _ Cone-> OF -_ _____________________)
    >> > > > > > > > > >

    >Hope the illustration is clear enough.

    Yup, this is the way that will give you the best exit speed out of the turn. If you were in a race
    car and had to do this turn, this is the way you'd be taught to do it. Enter slow, exit FAST to get
    you to top speed the quickest.

    jw milwaukee

  8. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On 20 Jun 2003 02:14:34 GMT, Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mark U. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >: In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast turn around the pylon at
    >: the turnaround?
    >
    >: Mark
    >
    >Practice making the turn. Take a racing line. There's probably any number of ways of getting around
    >smoothly and safely, ie, no one correct technique.

    I smell road rash.

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  9. Bunnyhop 180

    "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
    turn
    > around the pylon at the turnaround?
    >
    > Mark

  10. So a 360 so he ends up going straight? You've never ridden a bmx bike, or any bike for that matter.

    Go put your rollerblades on.

    Rope

    "Taikimo Njumbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
    > turn
    > > around the pylon at the turnaround?
    > >
    > > Mark
    > >

    > Bunny hop, 360 degrees spin. More cyclist need to practice bmx move.
    Don't
    > taco wheel on descend, you must learn to lean and control center of
    gravity.
    > Best way.
    >

    > Taiko

  11. Andrew Karre

    Andrew Karre Guest

    "Taikimo Njumbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
    > turn
    > > around the pylon at the turnaround?
    > >
    > > Mark
    > >

    > Bunny hop, 360 degrees spin. More cyclist need to practice bmx move. Don't taco wheel on descend,
    > you must learn to lean and control center of gravity. Best way.
    >

    > Taiko

    Hmm. A 360 degree spin on a TT bike, while quite impressive, would probably be for nought,
    considering a turnaround is 180 degrees. Perhaps this is what holds BMXers back in TTs.

    AK