Tight 180 turn

Mark U.

Guest
In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast turn around the pylon at the
turnaround?

Mark

Mark U. <[email protected]> wrote:
: In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast turn around the pylon at
: the turnaround?

: Mark

Practice making the turn. Take a racing line. There's probably any number of ways of getting around
smoothly and safely, ie, no one correct technique.

I like to position myself on the bike with my weight to the inside while the bike is held
more upright. I also use my shoulders and hips to actually pull the bike through the corner.
Give it a try.

Keeping your body low and butt back on the seat seems to help get through 180s fast too.

I recommend trying different things to find out what works for you. Practice with good tyres (plenty
of grip) and maybe, for safety, hit the corner unclipped so that you have a chance of getting a foot
down if the bike does step out on you. Also, do this in a place where you don't have to worry about
traffic; perhaps in a closed cark park.

Hope this helps, cheerz, Lynzz

Go slightly past the cone, then make a single curving 130 degree or so turn, not a semi-circle.

< < < < < <
_____________
- _ Cone-> OF -_ _____________________)

Hope the illustration is clear enough.

Practice. Practice the turn and practice waiting to the last minute to slam on your brakes. Practice
the fastest speed you can safely make the turnaround. Figure out what gear you need to jump out of
the turn in.

Before the race, go to the turnaround and scout it out. It all adds up to free time.

"Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
turn
> around the pylon at the turnaround?
>
> Mark

"Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
turn
> around the pylon at the turnaround?
>
> Mark

my 2 cents about road TTs starts and turnarounds.

1. the few seconds spent in the start or the turnaround will not win the race, but blasting out of
the start or turnaround can cause you to slow down for a while to recover from that effort and
that can cause you to lose. So get up to race pace quickly, but not too quickly. What does this
'quick' thing mean - practice a couple of short TTs to dial in your proper launch speed.

2. TTs are usually held on open roads = keep your head up and watch for traffic, again the start and
turnaround are only a few to several seconds in the whole TT, unless the TT is VERY short,
properly getting up to speed in a TT is not the win or lose problem to be solved.

3. VERY "Late braking" allows you a few 10ths extra time for coasting and thus recovery (but maybe
not on specialized TT bikes that do not corner well)

4. In bicycle racing, in my road experience, the best line through a turn is the line that (1)
minimizes the time spent on the approaching straightaway, (2) maximizes the amount of momentum
you carry through the turn = least effort to get back up to speed, and (3) given that sometimes
bad things can happen, proactively prevent problems.

John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

"Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
turn
> around the pylon at the turnaround?
>
> Mark

Bunny hop, 360 degrees spin. More cyclist need to practice bmx move. Don't taco wheel on descend,
you must learn to lean and control center of gravity. Best way.

Taiko

"Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
turn
> around the pylon at the turnaround?
>
> Mark

No. The best thing I have found is to take time & make sure you get round safely. I have seen people
try to turn fast & end up in a ditch (I tried not to laugh). If you slow down you will lose less
than 5 seconds. You can make that back up elsewhere.

Stan Cox

>Go slightly past the cone, then make a single curving 130 degree or so turn, not a semi-circle.
>
>< < < < < <
>_____________
> - _ Cone-> OF -_ _____________________)
>> > > > > > > > > >

>Hope the illustration is clear enough.

Yup, this is the way that will give you the best exit speed out of the turn. If you were in a race
car and had to do this turn, this is the way you'd be taught to do it. Enter slow, exit FAST to get
you to top speed the quickest.

jw milwaukee

On 20 Jun 2003 02:14:34 GMT, Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark U. <[email protected]> wrote:
>: In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast turn around the pylon at
>: the turnaround?
>
>: Mark
>
>Practice making the turn. Take a racing line. There's probably any number of ways of getting around
>smoothly and safely, ie, no one correct technique.

I smell road rash.

Lindsay
----------------------------
"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke

So a 360 so he ends up going straight? You've never ridden a bmx bike, or any bike for that matter.

Go put your rollerblades on.

Rope

"Taikimo Njumbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sfxIa.39713$Fa6.30052@sccrnsc02...

> "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
> turn
> > around the pylon at the turnaround?
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Bunny hop, 360 degrees spin. More cyclist need to practice bmx move.
Don't
> taco wheel on descend, you must learn to lean and control center of
gravity.
> Best way.
>

> Taiko

"Taikimo Njumbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<sfxIa.39713$Fa6.30052@sccrnsc02>...
> "Mark U." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > In an out-and-back time trial, is there a good technique to make a fast
> turn
> > around the pylon at the turnaround?
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Bunny hop, 360 degrees spin. More cyclist need to practice bmx move. Don't taco wheel on descend,
> you must learn to lean and control center of gravity. Best way.
>

> Taiko

Hmm. A 360 degree spin on a TT bike, while quite impressive, would probably be for nought,
considering a turnaround is 180 degrees. Perhaps this is what holds BMXers back in TTs.

AK