Tight fit tyre / rim combo advice

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Webber Daniel, May 10, 2003.

  1. Anybody got any advice how to mount a tight fitting tyre without using tyre levers and puncturing
    the tube. My thumbs are red raw and I still havn't managed it! It is a 20c tyre which probaly
    doesn't help things.

    MTIA

    Dan

    Tags:

  2. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes:

    >Anybody got any advice how to mount a tight fitting tyre without using tyre levers and puncturing
    >the tube. My thumbs are red raw and I still havn't managed it! It is a 20c tyre which probaly
    >doesn't help things.

    1. put the tire on as far as you can comfortably
    squeeze the beads together. This puts the beads in the center where the rim is usually just a
    little deeper.
    3. Continue squeezing the beads together and holding them there up towards the top. This will create
    just a little more slack.
    4. When you get towrd the top, and it doesn't simply slip on (it might) don't torture your thumbs by
    pushing on the bead, grab the body of the tire above that and pull it in the direction you want
    the tire to go in.
    5. You might have to start over at the bottom, it does take a little practice, but it DOES work.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  3. High pressure tires require a tight fit. One of the reasons I hang on to my box-channel rims. But
    the trick I use should work with any rim that has a deep enough center on the inside.

    Let all the air out of the tube, loosen the nut if it's a presta valve (and you have the nut), and
    push the valve up into the tire.

    Now squeeze the beads together and push them into the center of the rim as deep as they will go.
    Work your way around the tire this way, stuffing the beads of the tire into the rim.

    By the time you get to the other side of the circle, the remaining bit of tire should be sticking
    out enough that you can peel it off the rim.

    To remount the tire, simply reverse the process, then set the beads so they are even around the rim.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > Anybody got any advice how to mount a tight fitting tyre without using tyre levers and puncturing
    > the tube. My thumbs are red raw and I still havn't managed it! It is a 20c tyre which probaly
    > doesn't help things.

    Ensure the rim liner is appropriate. Inflate the tube slightly so it cannot catch under the lip of
    the tire. Lightly mist the inside of the rim with a spray wax. Place the edge of the rim across a
    table or workbench so you can press firmly using your entire arms and shoulders. Roll the tire's
    bead across the edge of the rim with your entire hand, grasping the tire and rim with your whole
    hand and pressing firmly with the heel of your hand while rolling the tire's edge up and over.

    End at the valve. The tire needs to be in the smallest (center) part of the rim everywhere except
    where you are lifting the edge. The tire cannot fall to the center where the valve is in the way, so
    end at the valve.

    those things should be helpful. In extreme cases ( Michelin on HED) use of a VAR tire lever is
    required. Normal tire levers are destructive when used to prise a tire over a rim.

  5. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > High pressure tires require a tight fit.

    [Lots of good advice snipped]

    Why do high pressure tires require a tight fit? I thought the hook held the tire pressure, not the
    tight fit?

  6. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Sat, 10 May 2003 19:36:36 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Anybody got any advice how to mount a tight fitting tyre without using tyre levers and puncturing
    >the tube. My thumbs are red raw and I still havn't managed it! It is a 20c tyre which probaly
    >doesn't help things.

    I use mostly Michelin foldables, 700x20, and I long ago gave up on the notion that I could install a
    tire without levers. Levers and punctures do not automatically go hand-in-hand.