Tight fitting stem is it ok.

atlantis

Sep 19, 2010
Hi !

I have replaced my stem on my Fuji Rubaix , swapped from a 90 mm to a 70 mm Pz racing stem. The bike has an alloy steerer with a carbon fork.

My new stem seems to be a tight fit, and not a slide down. I applied some grease and checked for burrs. The stock stem is smooth on installation.

Is this a matter of concern ?
Am i damaging anything.

rgds

atlantis said:
Hi !

I have replaced my stem on my Fuji Rubaix , swapped from a 90 mm to a 70 mm Pz racing stem. The bike has an alloy steerer with a carbon fork.

My new stem seems to be a tight fit, and not a slide down. I applied some grease and checked for burrs. The stock stem is smooth on installation.

Is this a matter of concern ?
Am i damaging anything.

rgds
It's highly unlikely that you are damaging or have damaged your aluminum steerer, but no one can say for sure without pictures. Some stem steerer clamps are a bit tight out of the box.

Actually the stem does move but with a little pressure from my hand, its not super tight just tight to the feel. I can rotate and move it up and down but yes with a base pressure and its not free like the stock stem.

atlantis said:
Actually the stem does move but with a little pressure from my hand, its not super tight just tight to the feel. I can rotate and move it up and down but yes with a base pressure and its not free like the stock stem.
That's perfectly fine.

Actually I have 2 more bikes with cromoly or steel steerer and fork, I have had no issues with those. Is there a remote possibility that the alloy steerer is slightly expanded because of the starnut.

atlantis said:
Actually I have 2 more bikes with cromoly or steel steerer and fork, I have had no issues with those. Is there a remote possibility that the alloy steerer is slightly expanded because of the starnut.
Yes, especially since that is what the starnut is designed to do.