Tight fork

Tbgibb

Guest
The problem is on an older C'dale road bike with a chromolly fork. It is quite tight. The front hub
seems ok, it spins nicely (so I don't think I have too many bearings in it). The washers between the
cones and lock nuts are thin and the lock nuts appear of normal size. Apart from filing the nuts or
the inside faces of the dropouts down a little are there any ideas for making it possible for one
person (my wife) to get the wheel in and out of the front fork?

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

"TBGibb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The problem is on an older C'dale road bike with a chromolly fork. It is
quite
> tight. The front hub seems ok, it spins nicely (so I don't think I have
too
> many bearings in it). The washers between the cones and lock nuts are
thin and
> the lock nuts appear of normal size. Apart from filing the nuts or the
inside
> faces of the dropouts down a little are there any ideas for making it
possible
> for one person (my wife) to get the wheel in and out of the front fork?

Consult a shop that routinely does alignments. They will have fixtures to correct the fork's width
and check the other dimensions at the same time.