Tight fork

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tbgibb, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    The problem is on an older C'dale road bike with a chromolly fork. It is quite tight. The front hub
    seems ok, it spins nicely (so I don't think I have too many bearings in it). The washers between the
    cones and lock nuts are thin and the lock nuts appear of normal size. Apart from filing the nuts or
    the inside faces of the dropouts down a little are there any ideas for making it possible for one
    person (my wife) to get the wheel in and out of the front fork?

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "TBGibb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The problem is on an older C'dale road bike with a chromolly fork. It is
    quite
    > tight. The front hub seems ok, it spins nicely (so I don't think I have
    too
    > many bearings in it). The washers between the cones and lock nuts are
    thin and
    > the lock nuts appear of normal size. Apart from filing the nuts or the
    inside
    > faces of the dropouts down a little are there any ideas for making it
    possible
    > for one person (my wife) to get the wheel in and out of the front fork?

    Consult a shop that routinely does alignments. They will have fixtures to correct the fork's width
    and check the other dimensions at the same time.