Tight Hamstrings

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
I've been fit for my bike and have logged many km's since the last fit. Generally I'm very comfortable on the bike and I experience little to no discomfort or tightness during the ride. However, I do from time to time get really tight hamstrings days after a ride. I was wondering if the cause of the tightness could be my seat height? Would a slightly higher seat solve this? From my fitting I did go a little lower than recommended, as it was a big increase over my previous set-up.

Thanks.

Check your seat and raise it if need be. Hamstrings really need a good stretch onece in a while and i try and do stretch's twice a week.

stretch after EVERY ride, and also before - should solve your problem without stuffing about with the fit of your bike.
your hamstrings will tighten simply because your leg is never fully extended while you ride, which is what creates the tightness.
stretch them.

I only noticed that I had tight hamstrings, when my back started hurting badly. A simple test of my flexibility by trying to touch my toes, showed a dramatic decrease in my flexibility.

I have taken a rest from cycling, and started to do stretching excercises daily now. Hopefully that helps in my back pain.

just don't stretch your hamstrings by reaching for your toes (unless you're sitting) as it will make your lower back worse.
consult a physio or chiro if your back is giving you trouble.

it was a seated stretch. The reason why I suspected that it could be the riding that was straining my back, is that my back hurt after riding, and the pain went away with rest.

Daily activities didnt seem to stress it.

would suggest that there may be something amiss with your body position if it's hurting your back. maybe get your fit checked?

Archibald said:
stretch after EVERY ride, and also before - should solve your problem without stuffing about with the fit of your bike.
your hamstrings will tighten simply because your leg is never fully extended while you ride, which is what creates the tightness.
stretch them.

I usually stretch before the ride; once on each side for 30 seconds, then after the ride I'm twice at 30 seconds a side. Is this enough? See below for problems in stretching hamstrings...

Today I went to my physio as from time to time I have some tingling in my left heel, which he believes is linked to a nerve being compressed from a tight muscle below my calf (not the calf though, can't think of the name). When I have this, I find it difficult to stretch my (left) hamstring as most positions aggrivate the tingling. This all started with some pelvic thing which earlier led to achilles tendonitis. Point is...this is all linked and pisses me off, but only from time to time. I think after this visit I'll be good for a while.

noonievut said:
I usually stretch before the ride; once on each side for 30 seconds, then after the ride I'm twice at 30 seconds a side. Is this enough? See below for problems in stretching hamstrings...

Today I went to my physio as from time to time I have some tingling in my left heel, which he believes is linked to a nerve being compressed from a tight muscle below my calf (not the calf though, can't think of the name). When I have this, I find it difficult to stretch my (left) hamstring as most positions aggrivate the tingling. This all started with some pelvic thing which earlier led to achilles tendonitis. Point is...this is all linked and pisses me off, but only from time to time. I think after this visit I'll be good for a while.
Personally i wouldn't stretch at all before a ride, especially static stretches. Just do a progressive warm-up on the bike.

NJK said:
Personally i wouldn't stretch at all before a ride, especially static stretches. Just do a progressive warm-up on the bike.

I've seen this argued many times here. I'm fine not stretching, would actually prefer it because of time, but I would have to think that I should try not stretching on a short ride. If I'm riding a 100km on Saturday, not sure if changing my routine will be a good idea. Thoughts?

Also - would you stop after 30 mins or an hour and stretch? Or just wait until the end and do a really good stretch? I find it a little difficult when riding in general to stop and do this because of environment.

I have a 4-day 500km charity ride in a couple of months and want to have a solid routine worked out before hand...

May I also suggest doing a full body stretch in addition to your legs. This can do wonders for your overall fitness.

There's one stretch I learned in pilates that works really well. Lie on your back and put your knees together, then bend them so they're off the floor, facing the ceiling. With both legs still together, twist your legs so that your right knee is touching the ground. Then spread your arms out and twist your upper body in the opposite direction until you feel your whole torso stretching. Repeat with the other side.

Try to do this for even 30 seconds and you'll feel a big difference. I do this before any kind of exercise, be it biking, my martial arts class, or hiking, and it helps me out a lot. You may find it benefits your legs too.

noonievut said:
not too much benefit in 30seconds. a relaxed minute should be sufficient though.
there's much said about stretching or not before a ride.
it is preferrable to stretch after your first 5-10mins (warm up) on the bike when your muscles are warming up.
but definately stretch afterwards.