Tight headset?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Matt J, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Matt J

    Matt J Guest

    I've got a Specialized Hardrock whose headset I replaced a few months back, and I haven't ridden it
    much since. It's got a threadless FSA job (Orbit II?) with sealed bearings on each end. I've got it
    tightened enough to keep it from being loose (haha), you know, to keep it from rattling when you
    hold the front brake and jiggle the bars back and forth. However, whenever I turn it past about 35
    degrees to either side, it tightens up. Why would this be? Anything I can do? I don't really notice
    it when riding, but the handling isn't perfect. Thanks! Matt

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Matt J wrote:

    > I've got a Specialized Hardrock whose headset I replaced a few months back, and I haven't ridden
    > it much since. It's got a threadless FSA job (Orbit II?) with sealed bearings on each end. I've
    > got it tightened enough to keep it from being loose (haha), you know, to keep it from rattling
    > when you hold the front brake and jiggle the bars back and forth. However, whenever I turn it past
    > about 35 degrees to either side, it tightens up. Why would this be? Anything I can do? I don't
    > really notice it when riding, but the handling isn't perfect.

    Did you have the head tube prepped (reamed and faced) when you had the new headset installed?
    Chances are the races are slightly crooked; prepping the head tube helps them seat properly in
    alignment.

    --

    -John ([email protected])

  3. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Could be your head tube is not faced properly and the cups are out of alignment. You can have this
    fixed by a shop with a facing tool, or, if you can live with it and it doesn't destroy your headset
    too quickly, just leave
    it. You probably won't be turning past 35 degrees much and will probably hardly notice while
    riding. Facing the head tube will probably be a $30-$50 job when all is said and done and they
    do all the work. Probably $10-$20 if you bring them the frame with the headset already removed.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "Matt J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a Specialized Hardrock whose headset I replaced a few months back, and I haven't ridden
    > it much since. It's got a threadless FSA job (Orbit II?) with sealed bearings on each end. I've
    > got it tightened enough to keep it from being loose (haha), you know, to keep it from rattling
    > when you hold the front brake and jiggle the bars back and forth. However, whenever I turn it past
    > about 35 degrees to either side, it tightens up. Why would this be? Anything I can do? I don't
    > really notice it when riding, but the handling isn't perfect. Thanks! Matt

  4. Matt J

    Matt J Guest

    John Thompson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Matt J wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a Specialized Hardrock whose headset I replaced a few months back, and I haven't ridden
    > > it much since. It's got a threadless FSA job (Orbit II?) with sealed bearings on each end. I've
    > > got it tightened enough to keep it from being loose (haha), you know, to keep it from rattling
    > > when you hold the front brake and jiggle the bars back and forth. However, whenever I turn it
    > > past about 35 degrees to either side, it tightens up. Why would this be? Anything I can do? I
    > > don't really notice it when riding, but the handling isn't perfect.
    >
    > Did you have the head tube prepped (reamed and faced) when you had the new headset installed?
    > Chances are the races are slightly crooked; prepping the head tube helps them seat properly in
    > alignment.

    I honestly don't know whether they faced the head tube. I took it in and picked it up a day later, I
    think... I don't recall it costing much - they just charged me for "headset installation," which may
    not have included facing. However, when I brought in a BB to be installed on another bike, they did
    face it (the instructions said to). Don't know - maybe I'll take it in and see how much it would be.
    I don't have the tools for taking it out, so that would be up to them... Matt