tight pedal install on old crank

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Trying to install some SPD pedals in a Zeus 2000 crank that is probably 30 years old. Any pedal I
    try goes in about half way, after which turning it any further becomes very difficult. Is it
    possible that these cranks used something other than 9/16" 20 tpi? Of note is that the same thing
    happens if I try to thread the pedal from the inside of the crank, goes half way, so the threads on
    the inside seem to be in good shape.

    Assuming they should be 9/16" x 20 tpi - would it be wise to have an LBS chase out the threads or
    just crank away and hope for the best? I could probably get them on but I'm wary of doing damage.

    Thanks,

    Kyle

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:s7%[email protected]...
    > Trying to install some SPD pedals in a Zeus 2000 crank that is probably 30 years old. Any pedal I
    > try goes in about half way, after which turning it any further becomes very difficult. Is it
    > possible that these cranks used something other than 9/16" 20 tpi? Of note is that the same thing
    > happens if I try to thread the pedal from the inside of the crank, goes half way, so the threads
    > on the inside seem to be in good shape.
    >
    > Assuming they should be 9/16" x 20 tpi - would it be wise to have an LBS chase out the threads or
    > just crank away and hope for the best? I could probably get them on but I'm wary of doing damage.

    Look on the inside of the crank for the thread markings. If your crank came with a Zeus or other
    Spanish bicycle it will be metric. Cranks supplied with Raleighs were BSC. Aftermarket US cranks
    were all BSC.

    Whether your threads are metric or damaged or corroded, the solution is the same - pass a 9/16" tap
    through them.. Any competent LBS will be able to do that promptly and cheaply. The maximal material
    you'll remove is only 0.013 inches - miniscule.

  3. In article <s7%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Trying to install some SPD pedals in a Zeus 2000 crank that is probably 30 years old. Any pedal I
    > try goes in about half way, after which turning it any further becomes very difficult. Is it
    > possible that these cranks used something other than 9/16" 20 tpi

    Could be French threaded.

    14mm x 1.25mm if I remember correctly, or about 8.8/16ths x 20.32 tpi.

    --
    [email protected] is Joshua Putnam <http://www.phred.org/~josh/> Updated Infrared Photography Books
    List: <http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/irbooks.html

  4. kbh-<< Trying to install some SPD pedals in a Zeus 2000 crank that is probably 30 years old. Any
    pedal I try goes in about half way, after which turning it any further becomes very difficult. Is it
    possible that these cranks used something other than 9/16" 20 tpi?

    Not unusual...run a clean tap thru the pedal holes, remember the left one is left threaded.