tight pedal install on old crank

Kbh

Guest
Trying to install some SPD pedals in a Zeus 2000 crank that is probably 30 years old. Any pedal I
try goes in about half way, after which turning it any further becomes very difficult. Is it
possible that these cranks used something other than 9/16" 20 tpi? Of note is that the same thing
happens if I try to thread the pedal from the inside of the crank, goes half way, so the threads on
the inside seem to be in good shape.

Assuming they should be 9/16" x 20 tpi - would it be wise to have an LBS chase out the threads or
just crank away and hope for the best? I could probably get them on but I'm wary of doing damage.

Thanks,

Kyle

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:s7%ra.684308$F1.89698@sccrnsc04...
> Trying to install some SPD pedals in a Zeus 2000 crank that is probably 30 years old. Any pedal I
> try goes in about half way, after which turning it any further becomes very difficult. Is it
> possible that these cranks used something other than 9/16" 20 tpi? Of note is that the same thing
> happens if I try to thread the pedal from the inside of the crank, goes half way, so the threads
> on the inside seem to be in good shape.
>
> Assuming they should be 9/16" x 20 tpi - would it be wise to have an LBS chase out the threads or
> just crank away and hope for the best? I could probably get them on but I'm wary of doing damage.

Look on the inside of the crank for the thread markings. If your crank came with a Zeus or other
Spanish bicycle it will be metric. Cranks supplied with Raleighs were BSC. Aftermarket US cranks
were all BSC.

Whether your threads are metric or damaged or corroded, the solution is the same - pass a 9/16" tap
through them.. Any competent LBS will be able to do that promptly and cheaply. The maximal material
you'll remove is only 0.013 inches - miniscule.

In article <s7%ra.684308$F1.89698@sccrnsc04>, [email protected] says...
> Trying to install some SPD pedals in a Zeus 2000 crank that is probably 30 years old. Any pedal I
> try goes in about half way, after which turning it any further becomes very difficult. Is it
> possible that these cranks used something other than 9/16" 20 tpi

Could be French threaded.

14mm x 1.25mm if I remember correctly, or about 8.8/16ths x 20.32 tpi.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam <http://www.phred.org/~josh/> Updated Infrared Photography Books
List: <http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/irbooks.html

kbh-<< Trying to install some SPD pedals in a Zeus 2000 crank that is probably 30 years old. Any
pedal I try goes in about half way, after which turning it any further becomes very difficult. Is it
possible that these cranks used something other than 9/16" 20 tpi?

Not unusual...run a clean tap thru the pedal holes, remember the left one is left threaded.