Tight throat. Struggle to breath.

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by MichaelB, Apr 10, 2006.

1. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

This year I have really felt that my throat chokes me when I'm breathing heavily. I really noticed it a few months ago now when I had a cold and thought it was down to this. Now I just feel like my throat is closing over and it even feels like it gets worse after a few minutes of riding (by that when I stop it feels a bit better but comes back quickly). It reminds me of asthma which is something I have never suffered from.

When I am riding I am constantly coughing to try and clear my throat but it never happens. Its really annoying me now :(

Also I always have a lot of phlegm when riding. Is this normal?

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

It could just be allergies or it could be many things. Thyroid nodules can put pressure on the windpipe if they are position to do so.
    They are normally harmless and common but can be uncomfortable.
    Of course I am not suggesting that is what you have just saying that there are several possibilities.
    Asthma is another possibility. I would get it checked out as breathing does get to be habit forming.

3. dm69

dm69 New Member

Helmet strap too tight? Heart rate monitor strap too tight? dont laugh i have experienced this for about a week in March before I finally realised why i was struggling so much lately on my rides :p .

4. SBSpartan

SBSpartan New Member

Could be pollen this time of year.

5. retrograde

retrograde New Member

Pursuiter's cough?

Happen's to me occasionally after a series of really hard training days, particularly if the air is dry, still and seemingly more polluted than normal.

6. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

Thanks guys (and gals?). I might think about seeing the doctor after doing a search for Pursuiter's Cough. I'm starting to look like a hypercondriac. I've already been the doctors 3 time this year. Its getting like once a month. :eek:

7. trekbikerchick

trekbikerchick New Member

Sounds like exercise-induced asthma to me. I'm not a doctor, but I have asthma and your symptoms sound quite familiar.

I would go to your doctor and discuss it with him or her. It's really controllable with the proper meds. I was cycling for awhile before I was diagnosed and I started performing a lot better when I began treatment. If oxygen isn't getting in your lungs properly, it certainly can't fuel your muscles.

Here's a pretty comprehensive overview.
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/exercise-induced_asthma/article_em.htm#Exercise-Induced%20Asthma%20Overview

See your doctor and good luck.