tighten 105 brakes.

Callistus Valer

Guest
I can't seem to tighten the 105 brake calipers on both the
carbon fork and carbon seat stay. You can move it with your
hand, if you push slightly hard on one side. What's the
solution? It's not stripped or anything, a new bike. Maybe
not enough crud in there yet.

jazzy-<< I can't seem to tighten the 105 brake calipers on
both the carbon fork and carbon seat stay. You can move it
with your hand, if you push slightly hard on one side.
What's the solution? >><BR><BR>

More washers onto the bolt first or a shorter brake nut that
secures it to the frameset.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

> More washers onto the bolt first or a shorter brake nut
> that secures it to
the
> frameset.
>
> Peter Chisholm

-------
thanks, I'll try that.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jazzy-<< I can't seem to tighten the 105 brake calipers on
> both the carbon fork and carbon seat stay. You can move it
> with your hand, if you push slightly hard on one side.
> What's the solution? >><BR><BR>
>
> More washers onto the bolt first or a shorter brake nut
> that secures it to the frameset.

It can sometimes be quicker and cheaper to buy new
brakes than to try to find recessed-head Allen bolts for
brake mounting.

The last time I wanted one the only place that stocked such
bolts wanted a minimum order of 500. Shimano don't seem to
sell them as spare parts (surprise, surprise).
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I can't seem to tighten the 105 brake calipers on both
> the carbon fork and carbon seat stay. You can move it
> with your hand, if you push slightly hard on one side.
> What's the solution? It's not stripped or anything, a
> new bike. Maybe not enough crud in there yet.

Add a small washer to the front. I could be you are
bottoming out on the threads.
-------------------
Alex

>>jazzy-<< I can't seem to tighten the 105 brake calipers on
>>both the carbon fork and carbon seat stay. You can move it
>>with your hand, if you push slightly hard on one side.
>>What's the solution? >><BR><BR>

Peter Chisholm suggested:

>>More washers onto the bolt first or a shorter brake nut
>>that secures it to the frameset.

Sometimes it helps to circumcize the mounting bolt with
a hacksaw.

Mark South wrote:

> It can sometimes be quicker and cheaper to buy new brakes
> than to try to find recessed-head Allen bolts for brake
> mounting.
>
> The last time I wanted one the only place that stocked
> such bolts wanted a minimum order of 500. Shimano don't
> seem to sell them as spare parts (surprise, surprise).

See: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Cat-
egory=1673

Sheldon "Goyische Mohel?" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| This message has been sent to you using recycled
| electrons | exclusively. Please do not discard them
| after use, | send them along and help conserve these
| irreplaceable | sub-atomic resources for future
| generations. |
------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find
parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

> >>jazzy-<< I can't seem to tighten the 105 brake calipers
> >>on both the carbon fork and carbon seat stay. You can
> >>move it with your hand, if you push
slightly
> >>hard on one side. What's the solution? >><BR><BR>
>
> Peter Chisholm suggested:
>
> >>More washers onto the bolt first or a shorter brake nut
> >>that secures it to
the
> >>frameset.
> >
> Sometimes it helps to circumcize the mounting bolt with a
> hacksaw.

Most people would prefer not to hear the words "circumsize"
and "hacksaw" in the same sentence.

> Mark South wrote:
>
> > It can sometimes be quicker and cheaper to buy new
> > brakes than to try to
find
> > recessed-head Allen bolts for brake mounting.
> >
> > The last time I wanted one the only place that stocked
> > such bolts wanted a minimum order of 500. Shimano don't
> > seem to sell them as spare parts
(surprise,
> > surprise).
>
> See: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Cat-
> egory=1673

That's cool. Of course, by the time Visa had performed the
currency conversion, postage to the UK had been added, and
UK Customs & Excise had performed an additional excision on
my wallet, it would have worked out cheaper to buy a new
brakeset :-(
--
"To ... just not care that there are naked triathletes
running across your lawn, that's just a waste of

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> YGBSM....

You're Gonna Be Surprised, Man?!?

Bill "acro numb" S.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> mark-<< It can sometimes be quicker and cheaper to buy new
> brakes than to try to find recessed-head Allen bolts for
> brake mounting. >><BR><BR>
>
> YGBSM....We have a variety of lengths plus a grinder.

I'm not in Boulder :)
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen