Tightening components on carbon bike

michelito

Mar 4, 2004
I just got my new bike: Kuota Kredo, which comes with all carbon components (a really really nice bike!)

When they fitted me, I was surprised that they did not use a torque wrench to tighten the screws on bar, stem and saddle post. One of the guys actually said that these should be "tihgtened to the max".

Am I worrying for nothing in thinking that they might actually have used too much force? If they did, would it show immediately, or would it develop micro-fissures in the carbon that would take time to become visible?

Thanks!

Originally posted by michelito
I just got my new bike: Kuota Kredo, which comes with all carbon components (a really really nice bike!)

When they fitted me, I was surprised that they did not use a torque wrench to tighten the screws on bar, stem and saddle post. One of the guys actually said that these should be "tihgtened to the max".

Am I worrying for nothing in thinking that they might actually have used too much force? If they did, would it show immediately, or would it develop micro-fissures in the carbon that would take time to become visible?

Thanks!

I would be more concerned with the comment than with the actual torque. Many mechanics know by feel the proper torque... but if it were my bicycle I would want to know the specifications and see them being followed:

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/torque.shtml>

Can you get your hands on a calibrated torque wrench to check?
You will also need the proper size bits to fit the fasteners involved. Carbon fiber may take some time to show cracks.