Tightening front derailleur on Carbon frame

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by MY02_STi, Jun 11, 2006.

1. MY02_STi

MY02_STi New Member

Can anyone tell me how tight the bolt on a seat post clamp on Shimano Dura Ace front derailleur should be for a carbon frame. I've just checked mine (trying to locate an annoying 'ticking' sound) and the bolt seemed not nearly tight enough but the derailleur hasn't moved at all.

Any suggestions :confused:

Tags:

2. kleng

kleng New Member

Hi

Unless you have a braze on FD hanger, you need to be careful overtightening anything that wraps around a carbon tube, a lot of manufacturers have a maximum tightening torque to prevent tube damage.
    You could put a thin rubber shim around the tube where the bracket FD bracket wraps around, this should allow you to stop the movement without having to tighten it too much.

I'd take is back to the place you got it from and get them to check it out, they usually have torque wrenches to get everything right.

Have you checked your pedals, I found mine were a bit loose and this contributed to a creaking/ticking sound.

3. tetsuryuu

tetsuryuu New Member

Not 100% sure, but I don't think you should be using a clamp on carbon; it's too easy to crush (just the thought gives me the heebie-jeebies). There's not a braze-on mount for it?

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Uhm, no. People use CF seatposts all the time w/out crushing them. Same for CF handlebars. What makes you think a clamp on FD is any different?

5. fauxpas

fauxpas New Member

Are the cf seat post or lower seat tubes hollow or solid?

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Anything that is a tube is hollow. Seatposts are tubes with a clamp chucked on top.

7. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

There is a good method on torquing clamps on carbon tubes without the aid of a torque wrench or fear of overtightening and compromising the tube. Simply tighten the clamp with the allen (or sometimes torx) bolt just enuf. Then use a one finger force to push the allen key about about an inch from the bend till you cant push no more. I use this method on my carbon handlebars, carbon steerer and carbon seatpost with no issues.

8. tetsuryuu

tetsuryuu New Member

CF seatposts and bars are designed to clamped onto; many CF seattubes are not designed to take force in that direction and will crush if you try to clamp them, hence the need for a braze on. If the frame is designed to take a clamp-on FD, then great; I was trying to make sure he wasn't installing his FD in such a way that might cause a frame failure.

9. MY02_STi

MY02_STi New Member

That's about how much I (re) tightened it ;)

10. MY02_STi

MY02_STi New Member

The frame is a Pinarello Paris Carbon :cool: :D :cool: :D and its mean't to have a clamp for the FD

11. d9veNI

d9veNI New Member

Many years later and I have just bought a Paris Frame second-hand and so was searching out threads with info, just like this one. So firstly folks, thanks for the info. Secondly Tetsuryuu .... how on earth do you think that a carbon frame without a braze on is intended to have the FD attached if not by clamp?? If the frame had a braze on then MY02 would hardly be asking this question. Your replyy and then further "explanation" make utterly no sense. So thanks to everyone else but Tetsuryuu when you don't know what you are talking about, best to say nothing, you aren't helping.

12. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Eight years later, Tetsuryuu probably sees the error in his advice.

13. tetsuryuu

tetsuryuu New Member

Well you certainly showed me by dredging up an 8-year-old post, going to the trouble of creating an account for yourself, and then in your first post specifically thanking everyone except for me; you are truly a model citizen of the Internet. Not knowing OP's level of skill when it comes to bike repair, I was simply trying to make sure that he knew what he was doing before he started putting a compressive load on a carbon tube; it's an expensive mistake that I have seen others make in the past. OP clearly understood my message, as they said that the frame was meant to have a clamp on derailleur, complete with smiley emoji; I'm not sure why you had such a difficult time with it. A pointer for you since you're new here, though: maybe next time keep your negativity to yourself, and you wont come across so poorly.

14. tetsuryuu

tetsuryuu New Member

See also: http://xkcd.com/386/

15. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]