Tightening jockey wheel bolts?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bb, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. Bb

    Bb Guest

    Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike (MTB
    with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from home, one
    of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one jockey-wheel.

    I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other than
    getting a singlespeed)

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike (MTB
    > with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from home,
    > one of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one jockey-wheel.
    >
    > I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    > turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other
    > than getting a singlespeed)

    Are you sure you didn't lose something? (A small bearing or sleeve or...???) My only experience
    w/j-wheels was years ago, when I bought blue ones (Carmichaels?) for my infamous pimped-out
    Catamount. Seemed to me like the bolts tightened normally (in my case, over-tight is norm :) and the
    wheels just kept on a-turnin'.

    Bill "oh, God, now I'm gonna go check my freaking jockey wheels; it's on your head, Bauer!" S.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, BB <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike (MTB
    >with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from home, one
    >of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one jockey-wheel.
    >
    >I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    >turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other
    >than getting a singlespeed)

    No if it binds when you tighten it then something is wrong, probably you are missing part of the
    jockey wheel's bushing assembly.

    --Paul

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike
    > > (MTB with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from
    > > home, one of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one
    > > jockey-wheel.
    > >
    > > I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    > > turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other
    > > than getting a singlespeed)
    >
    > Are you sure you didn't lose something? (A small bearing or sleeve or...???) My only experience
    > w/j-wheels was years ago, when I bought blue ones (Carmichaels?) for my infamous pimped-out
    > Catamount. Seemed to me like the bolts tightened normally (in my case, over-tight is norm :) and
    > the wheels just kept on a-turnin'.
    >
    > Bill "oh, God, now I'm gonna go check my freaking jockey wheels; it's on your head, Bauer!" S.

    Curious, either my news server dropped Blane's post, or it is an old thread that i simply missed.

    But i'm with Bill here. i checked my el-cheepo's and they had a sleeve inside a bushing. they were
    quite snug and the jockey turned with ease.

    If all else, try some lock tight when you get the bolts tightened just enough. should at least keep
    it in place.

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  5. Bildom

    Bildom Guest

    Use locktite on the threads and you don't need to crank it down that tight. "BB"
    > Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike (MTB
    > with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from home,
    > one of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one jockey-wheel.
    >
    > I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    > turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other
    > than getting a singlespeed)
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  6. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike (MTB
    > with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from home,
    > one of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one jockey-wheel.
    >
    > I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    > turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other
    > than getting a singlespeed)
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

    Your observation that you can't tighten the j-wheel bolt down too much lest it stop turning is not
    correct. At least, that's not the designed behaviour. The steel sleeve that forms the bearing in the
    j-wheel along with the two cover plates at each end should prevent the bolt from binding against the
    j-wheel itself. That is you tighten up the plates against the bearing sleeve but the wheel should
    still have some float. I suspect you either have mismatched wheels/parts or they are assembled
    incorrectly.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  7. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't turn...but if you don't tighten them down,
    apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? >>

    Loctite?

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike (MTB
    > with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from home,
    > one of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one jockey-wheel.
    >
    > I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    > turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other
    > than getting a singlespeed)

    Huh? If they turn with difficulty when you tighten the bolt, you left something out or assembled it
    improperly. It is a good idea to lube pulleys ( anything will do, oil or grease) but do indeed
    tighten the bolt well!

  9. BB wrote:
    > Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike (MTB
    > with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from home,
    > one of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one jockey-wheel.
    >
    > I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    > turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other
    > than getting a singlespeed)

    Actually, you _can_ tighten them down "much", limited only by the risk of stripping the threads.

    When yours fell out, you must have lost the metal bushing that goes in the middle! Either that or
    you have a seal out of position.

    Sheldon "Time For New Pulleys" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------+
    | There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. | But there is no evidence of any sort
    | against it. | Soon enough you will know, so why fret about it? | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  10. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike (MTB
    > with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from home,
    > one of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one jockey-wheel.
    >
    > I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    > turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other
    > than getting a singlespeed)

    I think Zinn is wrong (as he is so often). You can tighten down the wheels in a rear derailer, if
    you don't they'll fall off. I commonly tighten all mine when they're new, since one fell off a bike
    of mine on the first ride.

  11. << A couple miles from home, one of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get
    home on one jockey-wheel. << but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off.
    Any advice? (other than getting a singlespeed)

    The design of pulleys allow the bolts to be tight w/o the pulleys binding. Something is amiss..Also
    take any rubber o-seals outta the pulleys, like the ones in many shimano ones, that will help them
    not falling off(A shimano tech tip directly from Wayne S.)

  12. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 28 Apr 2003 00:03:01 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike (MTB
    >with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from home, one
    >of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one jockey-wheel.
    >
    >I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    >turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other
    >than getting a singlespeed)

    There's something really wrong if tightening the bolts causes the wheels to not turn. You don't say
    what kind of derailleur you have, but most have a sleeve on which the wheel spins. This sleeve is
    wider than the wheel, so you should be able to tighten the bolts to the point of stripping and the
    wheel/sleeve friction should be unaffected.

    My only other thought is that perhaps you still have the rubber seals and have them installed in the
    wheel's grooves backwards, so that the outer washer's rims instead of riding in the seal's grooves
    press firmly against the rubber, binding the wheel.

    I throw these seals away, as they cause (IMHO) undue drag. I regularly disassemble, clean, and oil
    my jockey wheels so excluding dirt isn't a big problem.

  13. Ray Heindl

    Ray Heindl Guest

    BB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Finally a day without rain, but its way to wet to ride trails here. I took the semi-road bike (MTB
    > with roadworthy tires) on a trip to the library (roads, paved paths). A couple miles from home,
    > one of the jockey wheels fell off. I jury-rigged the derailleur to get home on one jockey-wheel.
    >
    > I sought wisdom from Zinn, but no luck. You can't tighten them down much, or the j-wheel won't
    > turn...but if you don't tighten them down, apparently the bolt can fall off. Any advice? (other
    > than getting a singlespeed)

    There should be a bushing that's a bit longer than the thickness of the jockey wheel, so when you
    tighten the screw it clamps the sides of the derailleur cage against the bushing, rather than
    against the jockey wheel. Maybe your bushings aren't matched to your jockey wheels, in which case
    replacing either or both should do the trick. Could the cage be bent so it hits the wheel before
    bearing on the bushing?

    As a last resort, there's always Loctite.

    --
    Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)

  14. Stu

    Stu Guest

    l have the same problem l just use a little loctite