Tights over or under riding shorts?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gs, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Gs

    Gs Guest

    The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights underneath their riding
    shorts. I almost always wear my tight over my riding shorts for one simple reason: if I get too warm
    during or after the ride, I can easily slip them off. Try that with your tights on under your
    shorts! I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts, except for those who
    wear shorts for a team and with to display their colors. Any thoughts?

    Tags:

  2. GS wrote:
    > The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights underneath their riding
    > shorts. I almost always wear my tight over my riding shorts for one simple reason: if I get too
    > warm during or after the ride, I can easily slip them off. Try that with your tights on under your
    > shorts! I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts, except for those
    > who wear shorts for a team and with to display their colors. Any thoughts?

    Are you sure you haven't just seen people with legwarmers. I've never seen anybody with tights under
    the shorts but a pair of legwarmers may look like that.

    --
    Perre

  3. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights underneath their riding
    > shorts. I almost always wear my tight over my riding shorts for one simple reason: if I get too
    > warm during or after the ride, I can easily slip them off. Try that with your tights on under your
    > shorts! I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts, except for those
    > who wear shorts for a team and with to display their colors. Any thoughts?

    Depends on the design of the tights. I have a pair of UnderArmor tights, which I wear under the
    shorts because they're designed and styled like underwear (long-johns). You're correct about not
    being easy to take them off; if I think I might want to take them off, I use a pair of warmup pants
    over the shorts.

  4. [email protected] wrote:

    > The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights underneath their riding
    > shorts. I almost always wear my tight over my riding shorts for one simple reason: if I get too
    > warm during or after the ride, I can easily slip them off. Try that with your tights on under your
    > shorts! I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts, except for those
    > who wear shorts for a team and with to display their colors. Any thoughts?

    Your experience differs from mine -- I can only recall cyclists with tights over shorts, not the
    reverse. Another reason to do it this way: it's the shorts that have the absorbent padding, so it
    makes more sense to have this next to your skin.

    The folks I ride with tend to be more practical than fashionable, though. Perhaps the more stylin'
    people like to have their trendy shorts visible, whether they're on a team or not.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent. -- Walt Kelly

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "GS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights underneath their riding
    > shorts. I almost always wear my tight over my riding shorts for one simple reason: if I get too
    > warm during or after the ride, I can easily slip them off. Try that with your tights on under your
    > shorts! I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts,

    Almost 100% of the riders I see (including me) wear tights over shorts (I'm guessing they have
    shorts under, I do). I've never removed my tights while riding, if the weather is marginal for
    tights, I'll wear leg warmers.

  6. Gs

    Gs Guest

    Yeah, I'm sure. I know the difference between legwarmers and tights. I use both myself.

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > GS wrote:
    > > The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights underneath their riding
    > > shorts. I almost always wear my tight over my riding shorts for one simple reason: if I get too
    > > warm during or after the ride, I can easily slip them off. Try that with your tights on under
    > > your shorts! I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts, except for
    > > those who wear shorts for a team and with to display their colors. Any thoughts?
    >
    > Are you sure you haven't just seen people with legwarmers. I've never seen anybody with tights
    > under the shorts but a pair of legwarmers may look
    like
    > that.
    >
    > --
    > Perre
    >
    > You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "GS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights underneath their riding
    > shorts. I almost always wear my tight over my
    riding
    > shorts for one simple reason: if I get too warm during or after the ride,
    > can easily slip them off. Try that with your tights on under your shorts! I can't think of any
    > good reason to put the tights on under the shorts, except for those who wear shorts for a team and
    > with to display their colors. Any thoughts?

    I've seen both ways and both seem to have their pluses and minuses.

    If you wear them under the shorts the crotch doesn't catch on the nose of the saddle (though I was
    going to say on the nose of brian trdina didn't you?) and hop you forward like a sling shot when you
    sit down after standing up a hill.

    If you wear them over the shorts you don't have to wash them every time you use them.

  8. On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:56:25 -0700, GS wrote:

    > The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights underneath their
    > riding shorts.

    Yeah? No one I ride with does. Most tights don't have a chamois, but shorts do. Put the chamois
    against your skin, and the tights on the outside.

    > I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts, except for those who wear
    > shorts for a team and with to display their colors.

    Used to be, old wool tights had poor elastic and were badly cut, and would fall down unless held up
    by your shorts. Really. But most of those tights should be full of moth-holes by now.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can assure _`\(,_ | you that mine
    are all greater. -- A. Einstein (_)/ (_) |

  9. David L. Johnson wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:19:35 +0000, Per Elmsäter wrote:
    >
    >> Are you sure you haven't just seen people with legwarmers. I've never seen anybody with tights
    >> under the shorts but a pair of legwarmers may look like that.
    >
    > Modern tights are the best excuse to throw away those annoying legwarmers. They never have, and
    > never will, stay up where they belong. We used to safety-pin them to the shorts to get them to
    > stay put. RPITA. Tights are so much better. I have a selection of weights to work for any range of
    > temperature when I can't wear shorts alone.

    Try Briko legwarmers. I've never had any problems with those, nor their armwarmers.

    --
    Perre

  11. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    David L. Johnson wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:19:35 +0000, Per Elmsäter wrote:
    >
    >> Are you sure you haven't just seen people with legwarmers. I've never seen anybody with tights
    >> under the shorts but a pair of legwarmers may look like that.
    >
    > Modern tights are the best excuse to throw away those annoying legwarmers. They never have, and
    > never will, stay up where they belong. We used to safety-pin them to the shorts to get them to
    > stay put. RPITA. Tights are so much better. I have a selection of weights to work for any range of
    > temperature when I can't wear shorts alone.

    I don't understand tights without chamois to begin with, unless you want to be able to strip down to
    shorts. But why? Most cycling garments have a wide enough comfort range so that's not necessary. My
    most used garment is probably my knickers -- which are perfect from about 50-70F, and fine for short
    periods colder (or warmer) than that.

    Some places have huge temperature swings within a few hours, but that's not the norm. Usually it's
    more like 20 degrees (F), well within the comfort range of most garments.

    So I don't see what the big deal is with all this layering and re-layering. I do understand leg
    warmers for one reason -- they cost like $20, and will do the trick if you can't afford another $75
    pair of knickers or tights.

    I will only buy tights with chamois. Unfortunately they're hard to find, and if you're new to the
    sport you might not know they exist -- especially if your LBS is mute about anything they don't
    happen to have in stock.

    Matt O.

  12. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't understand tights without chamois to begin with, unless you want to be able to strip down
    > to shorts. But why? Most cycling garments have a wide enough comfort range so that's not
    > necessary. My most used garment is probably my knickers -- which are perfect from about 50-70F,
    > and fine for short periods colder (or warmer) than that.

    I've had many occasions where I was in doubt about whether to wear shorts or tights based on the
    temperature. Padded shorts plus unpadded tights solves the problem.

    I have only one pair of padded tights and I find the fit isn't as comfortable as with shorts.
    So even when I know it's too cold for shorts alone, I usually wear shorts and the unpadded
    tights. YMMV.

    Art Harris

  13. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I don't understand tights without chamois to begin with, unless you want to
    be
    > able to strip down to shorts. But why?

    I never remove tights while riding, but I really don't understand tights with pads. It's hard enough
    to find a pair of shorts that have a pad & fit that I like, I don't want to go through all that just
    for tights. I have 3-4 pairs of tights in different weights and lengths (some are knicker length).

  14. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Peter Cole wrote:

    > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> I don't understand tights without chamois to begin with, unless you want to be able to strip down
    >> to shorts. But why?
    >
    > I never remove tights while riding, but I really don't understand tights with pads. It's hard
    > enough to find a pair of shorts that have a pad & fit that I like, I don't want to go through all
    > that just for tights. I have 3-4 pairs of tights in different weights and lengths (some are
    > knicker length).

    I do too, but they all have pads. I'm a pretty standard size and proportion, so most fit me fine. I
    do understand the fit issues, though. However, if you have shorts that fit, the corresponding tights
    from the same company usually fit too. And bibs usually solve most other fit problems, but then
    you're really kicking the price up.

    Matt O.

  15. "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I don't understand tights without chamois to begin with, unless you want
    to be
    > able to strip down to shorts.

    So you can wear them x-c skiing, too. Of course, the last time I wore my thermal tights x-c
    skiing, I did a low-speed but still flailingly spectacular wipe-out that caused them to rip up
    the center seam. I probably could have worn them for several more years cycling before that would
    have happened.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky

    Home of the meditative cyclist:

    Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
    My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

    "To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
    was you."

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > David L. Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:19:35 +0000, Per Elmsäter wrote:

    > > Modern tights are the best excuse to throw away those annoying legwarmers. They never have, and
    > > never will, stay up where they belong. We used to safety-pin them to the shorts to get them to
    > > stay put. RPITA. Tights are so much better. I have a selection of weights to work for any range
    > > of temperature when I can't wear shorts alone.

    My Trek leg warmers, when used with my ordinary cycling shorts, don't fall down. You need to make
    sure there's enough overlap to keep everything in place, but it's not hard.

    > Some places have huge temperature swings within a few hours, but that's not the norm. Usually it's
    > more like 20 degrees (F), well within the comfort range of most garments.
    >
    > So I don't see what the big deal is with all this layering and re-layering. I do understand leg
    > warmers for one reason -- they cost like $20, and will do the trick if you can't afford another
    > $75 pair of knickers or tights.

    The other nice thing about leg warmers is that they don't get very dirty during normal use (unless
    you're a nut and go play in the mud with your mountain bike, like me). Because of that, one pair of
    leg warmers and multiple pairs of shorts is as good as multiple pairs of shorts and tights.

    My entire lower-body bike wardrobe consists of a pair of cycling shorts, a pair of mountain bike
    shorts (baggy synthetic shorts with zip-up pockets and a liner), leg warmers, and Activa Stormfront
    fleece tights with rain-shell fronts and no chamois. The tights are incredibly warm: they are
    probably too warm above 10C (but I run cold-blooded, often wearing a jersey, arm warmers, and a neck
    tube when I know it will be dry and above 5 C)

    I wear the tights over the cycling shorts, or sometimes on my short commute with a pair of boxer-
    briefs instead.

    The plan for this year is to buy a set of bib shorts for racing and some really warm booties. I'm
    tired of cold feet.

  17. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:06:10 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't understand tights without chamois to begin with, unless you want to be able to strip down
    >to shorts. But why? Most cycling garments have a wide enough comfort range so that's not necessary.
    >My most used garment is probably my knickers -- which are perfect from about 50-70F, and fine for
    >short periods colder (or warmer) than that.

    I do I have 5 pairs of shorts but I only need one pair of tights over them. if they had chamois i
    would need 5 pair.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
    toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  18. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:56:25 -0700, GS wrote:
    >
    > > The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights underneath their riding
    > > shorts.
    >
    > Yeah? No one I ride with does. Most tights don't have a chamois, but shorts do. Put the chamois
    > against your skin, and the tights on the outside.
    >
    > > I can't think of any good reason to put the tights on under the shorts, except for those who
    > > wear shorts for a team and with to display their colors.
    >
    > Used to be, old wool tights had poor elastic and were badly cut, and would fall down unless held
    > up by your shorts. Really. But most of those tights should be full of moth-holes by now.

    Well I wear mine under my shorts. Of course they aren't really tights. They are polypropylene long
    johns, and would look like undies if I wore em over my shorts. But what the hey! Keep Stylin' Bernie

  19. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > I don't understand tights without chamois to begin with, unless you want
    > to be
    > > able to strip down to shorts.

    > So you can wear them x-c skiing, too.

    Ah, another good point that I forgot to mention. I wear my unpadded tights for jogging.

    Art Harris

  20. On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:56:25 -0700, "GS" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The vast majority of riders that I see when it's cold wear their tights underneath their
    >riding shorts.

    Are you sure? You may be seeing leg warmers tucked inside the shorts. This would look just like
    shorts over tights.

    Barry