Tights vs. Sweatpants

jpwkeeper

Jul 25, 2004
When it gets cold, I currently use a pair of close-fitting very inexpensive sweat pants over cycling shorts (cotton/Polyester blend). They're close enough that I don't have to bind them to keep them out of the chain. I wore them all last winter, but my coldest ride was 35F.

I'm not...entirely satisfied. My legs don't really feel all that cold, but even with the sweats I'll get cramps, especially in my calves, after about 9 miles, and they generally don't like to release.

It also feels like I'm dragging a boat anchor behind me, but that might not be due to the sweats, that might just be the larger cross-section plus the added air density.

Are tights better than sweats? If so, how much and in what ways?

They don't get waterlogged, they add a degree of compression, and they can depending on the material and thicknes be specific to certain temperature ranges (I have a thinner pair that go over shorts but find my calf length leg warmers get used more than these, and I have a glorious brushed pair of mavic tights with shammy that are good down to around 25-30F). And of lesser importance for casual riding are skin tight so more aero, somewhat more relevant in early season cold weather races.

Originally Posted by jpwkeeper .

When it gets cold, I currently use a pair of close-fitting very inexpensive sweat pants over cycling shorts (cotton/Polyester blend). They're close enough that I don't have to bind them to keep them out of the chain. I wore them all last winter, but my coldest ride was 35F.

I'm not...entirely satisfied. My legs don't really feel all that cold, but even with the sweats I'll get cramps, especially in my calves, after about 9 miles, and they generally don't like to release.

It also feels like I'm dragging a boat anchor behind me, but that might not be due to the sweats, that might just be the larger cross-section plus the added air density.

Are tights better than sweats? If so, how much and in what ways?
I think that is the main reason why cyclist wear tights. sweatpants tend to balloon when cycling creating more air resistance. also they can be cut by the large chainwheel when they are flapping around too much.

My gym is about 6 miles from home and I use my road bike to get there. I used to wear tracksuit pants on the way and it was cut around the ankle by the blade (and it was a relatively tight pant not a really loose one). not sure if others have that issue too.

I had a pair of cycling tights once but didn't care for them as they didn't want to stay in place. Other people don't have the issue. Now, I've got leg warmers, bib knickers (come down to calf), and bib tights. Sometimes I wear the leg warmers just with my bib shorts (most common use), and sometimes, if it's really cold, I'll wear them underneath my bib knickers or even bib tights. I would think that sweatpants would feel like they were in the way on the bike and that they wouldn't move so well with the rider. My stuff moves with me, doesn't feel confining or like it's holding me back.

I did 20 miles today in sub 20's. I wore regular cycling shorts, on top of which wore thermal underpants (long john's), finally covered them with a regular set of unpadded tights. My legs were fine throughout the ride, though my male member did get a bit cold.

The colder it gets, the more thin layers I add. Simple and cheap leg warmers work pretty well for chilly short rides. You can also double up on tights. The biggest problem with adding too many form fitting layers, besides the amount of laundry, is that it can get kind of tight around the knees.

In really cold weather (-10 and below) I may resort to looser fitting things like sweatpants or windpants - but that is mostly to keep other extremities happy.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]"I did 20 miles today in sub 20's."[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]You're making me cold just reading that! The coldest I've been in this Fall has been right below freezing and it's back into the 50°-55° range now.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I prefer tights just to keep a minimum of material in contact with the seat and thighs...less rubbing. Anything that keeps you warm and works...works.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]For really cold rides in the 20°'s, I wear two pair of tights...a light pair and a heavier material tight with wind panels over those.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]"[/COLOR]In really cold weather (-10 and below)..."

I bow to your superior Minn. ability to handle winter! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif +10° is about as cold as I've ventured into and it was painful! I would need electric socks and gloves and a snowmobile suit with a full-face helmet to cycle in -10°.

Ordered an inexpensive pair of un-padded tights from Nashbar today. Gonna give it a try. I figure worst case scenario I can use them as a base layer under the sweats if they're not quite warm enough.

I also figure that if they make me look like I'm headed to dance class I can throw a pair of regular shorts over top of them (that's what I do now with my cycling shorts, as without them it feels suspiciously like I'm out exercising in my underwear, which, I guess I kind of am). I don't know why that bothers me, but I can't argue that it does.

At any rate, hopefully next week I can report back for a first-hand comparison between the two.

Nashbar's "Mansfield" tights? Yeah, they are dirt cheap and I use them down into the low thirties over shorts and the mid-twenties under a pair of wind-front tights. Decent material, decent workmanship, decent warmth...if those are what you ordered. They run long, but what a great price. Good stuff IMO.

I recently bought a pair of the Cannondale tights Nashbar was blowing out for $20. Great material, but sewn up from about 50 panels of little pieces parts. The flat seams came apart almost immediately in four or five areas and I had to get out the Singer and over-sew the bad spots. Too bad, because the compression is good and the material is heavy enough to yield decent warmth and looks to be durable. The fit is also excellent. Made in Morocco.

I would think that sweatpants would feel like they were in the way on the bike and that they wouldn't move so well with the rider.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Nashbar's "Mansfield" tights? Yeah, they are dirt cheap and I use them down into the low thirties over shorts and the mid-twenties under a pair of wind-front tights. Decent material, decent workmanship, decent warmth...if those are what you ordered. They run long, but what a great price. Good stuff IMO.

I recently bought a pair of the Cannondale tights Nashbar was blowing out for $20. Great material, but sewn up from about 50 panels of little pieces parts. The flat seams came apart almost immediately in four or five areas and I had to get out the Singer and over-sew the bad spots. Too bad, because the compression is good and the material is heavy enough to yield decent warmth and looks to be durable. The fit is also excellent. Made in Morocco.
Yep, those are the ones. Yes, they run long, but with a 34 inseam, so do I. It seemed like at least half of the reviewers were 5'11" or taller. I spent a long time staring at that commit button before clicking it, so hearing your endorsement makes me feel much better. They should be here on the 24th.

Originally Posted by alexasthoma .

I would think that sweatpants would feel like they were in the way on the bike and that they wouldn't move so well with the rider.
Maybe. Honestly I can only compare them to bare legs.

I plan on doing a full comparison in this thread, likely early next week, assuming the tights I ordered are OK and it's nice and chillly next week (Right now the high should be 50, which would put it at around 43-45 at cycling time, so a near perfect apples-to-apples test).

"...so hearing your endorsement makes me feel much better."

Last winter those were my favorite Dec./Jan./Feb. tights. They are laying in my race bag right now only because it has not yet been cold enough to need more warmth than my light tights give (and my light tight offer better compression).

For the price, the pad or no-pad Mansfields are the best deal in tights since I bought a bunch of close out wool Protogs for $20/pair.

So the tights came in. They are,well,ah...tight.

I'm 6'2", 230lb, with a 34 inseam. I wear 38 pants, but if they made them I'd probably wear 37 (38 is baggy, 36 is too snug). I have oddly large calves as well (and always have, don't know why).

For the Manfield tights, I ordered a Large/Long. I haven't ridden with them yet, but I was able to get them on. I'm hoping they stretch a bit over time. I should have ordered a Large not Long though; Bob wasn't kidding when he said they run long. No biggie, though, cuffing them is not a problem even with the zipper. I might have gotten away with XL; if these don't loosen up I might get those next time.

They seem fairly warm and they definitely feel less restrictive than the sweats. Planning on trying them out tomorrow; it should be around 45 degrees at riding time so I'll have a very good apples-apples comparison to report.

"Bob wasn't kidding when he said they run long."

Heheh! I'n only 6' 1" and I made the mistake of ordering the Large-TALL size. Oops!

Yeah, I can cuff mine to the inside (skinny ankles!) or just let them 'drag' inside the shoe covers.

First ride with the tights. 50 degrees, breezy.

They're definitely lighter than the sweats, and less restrictive (which is saying something since I thought the sweats weren't overly restrictive either). I thought my legs felt cool, about as cool as with the sweats, but in retrospect I don't know if that's an accurate indicator, as it wasn't really consistent, which could mean that I noticed the coolness at skin level because my legs may have actually been warmer overall, sharpening the contrast. These supposedly wick as well, which might make it seem cooler than it really is. I was never uncomfortable from the waist down though.

More to the point, my calves didn't cramp, and we rode .5Mph faster than the last time (at 45 degrees). No intervals this time, though, just straight riding.

Wednesday might be a better test than today. So far so good, though.

I still feel...less than masculine though. I might just have to get over that. Who knows, at this rate I might just wear bike shorts in the spring without another pair of shorts on top of them.

I could probably get quite a bit of my speed back if I got leaner up top, clothing wise. I'm wearing a T-Shirt, loose sweatshirt, and a windbreaker over top (and my upper body still gets chilly, but then again that sweatshirt has so many holes it whistles without the windbreaker). Let's just say cars are riding behind me to save fuel. So that might be my next step.

I still feel...less than masculine though. I might just have to get over that. Who knows, at this rate I might just wear bike shorts in the spring without another pair of shorts on top of them.
I avoid the masculinuity problem by making my boyfriend pretend he's the wife. That's a joke. I'm single at the moment.

jpw, on cooler days that t-shirt may be the kiss of doom, especially if any stops. Even a relatively inexpensive 'wicking' base layer, long or short sleeve, will put you way ahead of the game.

danfoz said:
jpw, on cooler days that t-shirt may be the kiss of doom, especially if any stops.
Yup. Cotton is about the worst fabric to wear in winter when exercising or exerting yourself a lot. It's got zero insulating value when wet and keeps all that moisture right next to the skin where it does a lovely of job of taking the wearer from comfortable to cold to......

That is an interesting observation, Alien and Danfoz. My shirt today was soaking ringing wet, my sweatshirt was pretty damp as well, yet I was chilly pretty much the entire time.

Not sure why I'm more focused on being cold this winter. Last winter I just sucked it up.

Guess I need to head back to Nashbar and do some more shopping.

Guess I need to head back to Nashbar and do some more shopping.
That's the spirit! We'll make a sissy out of you yet.

"Guess I need to head back to Nashbar and do some more shopping."

For base layers, Walmart is your economical friend. "Starter" long sleeve compression FTW.