Tights vs. Sweatpants

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"Guess I need to head back to Nashbar and do some more shopping."

For base layers, Walmart is your economical friend. "Starter" long sleeve compression FTW.
Now that's a good tip, especially since the long sleeve base layers on the websites are kind of expensive. Me and my daughter will head by there after work and have a peek.

OK. I got a long sleeve starter compression shirt from Walmart. Do I wear it in place of the T-Shirt, under the sweat shirt and windbreaker? Or is it warm enough to take the place of the sweatshirt as well (doesn't seem like it)?

Wear the "Starter" brand DriStar fabric base layer against your skin.

For cool rides, I wear one layer of the lighter grey long-sleeve T-shirt/crew neck style under a long sleeve poly-pro/lycra jersey. For colder rides, one layer of the black, heavier fabric DriStar long sleeve with the mock turtle neck under a jersey.

For even colder rides, I use two layers of the black "Starter" shirts with maybe a long sleeve wool jersey over them...and a fourth layer long sleeve poly jersey over those if the wind is strong or the thermometer is dropping. Or if I just want a hi-vis color for late afternoon rides.

I find even the most breathable jackets to be hot/sweaty during long or repeated climbs and my area of Ohio requires constant climbing/descending. So I reserve the heavier jacket layer for only the coldest days as the constant heat-up-and-sweat-climbing and chill-down-descending cycle sucks and the climbs come too fast for constant zipping/unzipping...kinda have to dress for a happy medium point.

Everyone's body, climate, riding style and terrain are different, so layer according to what keeps you comfortably warm and dry. The Wallyworld stuff is so inexpensive you can build up a collection of enough base layers to have a constantly clean/dry light and heavier shirts ready to ride in. It may not have the name cache of Santini, DeMarchi or Voler, but in my opinion it works just as well and the fit/cut is plenty comfortable in the riding position (rotated sleeves are something I've never really noticed while riding in a stretch fabric compression fit shirt).

Cotton isn't a bad choice for some types of cycling...as long as you don't soak it with sweat it's OK. The newer poly fabrics used with layering and some venting do work better when it's very cold or the effort is higher. Do not discount wool. It's a great material for the easier rides that don't soak your upper layers. If you can buy it cheap or afford retail pricing...it's worth adding to the winter arsenal.

OK, that was a blonde moment.

The reason I was confused was because the shirt I bought didn't seem very warm. Turns out I was shopping one rack too far over.

I returned it yesterday because, despite being XL, it was just too tight in the arms and bagged at the armpits as a result (and I don't have big arms). When I grabbed another one without realizing I was at a different rack, I immediately noticed it was MUCH heavier and was marked as Therma-Star. This one seems much warmer, so today I'm going out wearing just that and a windbreaker, no sweatshirt, to see how that does me (still gloves, hat and ear-muffs though). Forecast at ride time is 45 with 9Mph wind, so it'll be a good test.

Originally Posted by maydog .

45? That is short sleeves weather.
Not around here it's not, and I actually like it cold (I keep my house at 68). We live on the jet-stream, so the weather swings wildly. Just as soon as you get used to the cold, it gets warm again and all of your cold endurance is shot to hell. Today was 41. Monday it's going to be in the low 60s. I may not ride just to avoid that a bit.

On the upshot, that Starter long-sleeve starter shirt (I got the Therma-guard one) from Walmart was the tip of the week. I wore that, a sweatshirt and a windbreaker, and I had to keep unzipping the windbreaker to get air. I probably could have done without the sweatshirt honestly. My legs were chilly; I'd put the tights maybe 5 degrees better than the sweats though. Didn't cramp till I was almost done.

jpwkeeper said:
Not around here it's not, and I actually like it cold (I keep my house at 68).  We live on the jet-stream, so the weather swings wildly.  Just as soon as you get used to the cold, it gets warm again and all of your cold endurance is shot to hell.  Today was 41.  Monday it's going to be in the low 60s.  I may not ride just to avoid that a bit. On the upshot, that Starter long-sleeve starter shirt (I got the Therma-guard one) from Walmart was the tip of the week.  I wore that, a sweatshirt and a windbreaker, and I had to keep unzipping the windbreaker to get air.  I probably could have done without the sweatshirt honestly.  My legs were chilly; I'd put the tights maybe 5 degrees better than the sweats though.  Didn't cramp till I was almost done.
You want to avoid the 60's bit or the 40's bit? Was the sweatshirt cotton?

Every pair of non-skin-tight pants I have ever worn while biking has at some point come in contact with the chain and thus gotten stained by black gook. In worse cases, the pants have gotten stuck in the drive train and ripped. At the same time, I feel fairly ridiculous walking around in tights during those occasional extended off-bike forays; but the same thing could be said of the rest of my cycling clothes.

I have found I get more chaffing in the groin when I where my tights under my bike shorts so I wear them on top even if it is a fashion fopa. I have a pair of Under Armor tights which I don't think were intended solely for biking.

Originally Posted by jpwkeeper .
I'm not...entirely satisfied. My legs don't really feel all that cold, but even with the sweats I'll get cramps, especially in my calves, after about 9 miles, and they generally don't like to release.
Interesting, you get more cramps in the cold than in the heat? It's exactly the opposite for me.

Originally Posted by gudujarlson .

Interesting, you get more cramps in the cold than in the heat? It's exactly the opposite for me.
I find it's easier to forget to drink when it's cold or when it's raining. Then again overdrinking H2O can just as easily lead to cramps as the blood salt levels become heavily diluted, ultimately what leads to water toxicity. JPW, your cramps may be from something else entirely, but my frequently occuring calf cramping during high intensity workouts pretty much dissappeared completely once I started using a salt suppliment like Nuun tablets.

Originally Posted by danfoz .
I find it's easier to forget to drink when it's cold or when it's raining.
My take on that is that you don't need to drink as much when its cold.

I was reminded of one drawback of tights in cold weather on Monday... Coldmember. I stopped by the gym on my commute home from work to swim and do a spinning workout. Alone in the dark and cold, I find it hard to do intense workouts. I left the gym about 7:30pm for the 10 mile trek home. I was wearing biking shorts under thermal underwear under tights, a few baselayer shirts and a light jacket, balaclava, thermal socks under neoprene socks in cycling sandals under booties, clear safety glasses and mittens. The wind shifted to a headwind, temperature had dropped several degrees to 10f and most of my clothes were damp for the ride to the gym. Usually in these temps I would have worn a visor attached to my helmet or goggles, a respirator/breath box of some sort, snow boots and covered the area between my waist and upper thigh better. I had not anticipated the temperature drop and I paid for it. The hour long class wore me out, my legs were trashed before heading out. Getting to my bike there was already frost on the seat. Starting out I knew I was in trouble - but what was I to do, call the wife? Halfway into the ride, I felt like I had a bad case of brain freeze and my feet were getting cold. The situation deteriorated by the minute. I made it home in about 45 minutes, feeling the effects of the cold but not quite aware of how bad it was. Getting out of the pedals, my feet felt like lifeless blocks of ice and legs felt numb. Coming in the door, my daughter asked if I was OK. I could only manage a raspy quiet "yes" as my throat was cold. Peeling off the layers, I could feel that my sinuses were cold, saw that my toes were bloodless white and noticed my member was without feeling. I went to the shower assess the situation and warm up. Indeed the appendage had an unhealthy color was as cold as ice to the touch. The warming process was painful, I considered drugs or a trip to the doctor for a few minutes. In the end, everything recovered. Usually I wear shorts over my tights in really cold temps. Now I remember why. The legs stay warmer because there is a good flow and the muscles are active, whereas tights can restrict flow to the unutilized area making it that much more susceptible to the cold.

Originally Posted by maydog .

I was reminded of one drawback of tights in cold weather on Monday... Coldmember.
I stopped by the gym on my commute home from work to swim and do a spinning workout. Alone in the dark and cold, I find it hard to do intense workouts. I left the gym about 7:30pm for the 10 mile trek home. I was wearing biking shorts under thermal underwear under tights, a few baselayer shirts and a light jacket, balaclava, thermal socks under neoprene socks in cycling sandals under booties, clear safety glasses and mittens. The temperature had dropped several degrees to about 10f and most of my clothes were damp for the ride to the gym.
Usually in these temps I would have worn a visor attached to my helmet or goggles, a respirator/breath box of some sort, snow boots and covered the area between my waist and upper thigh better. I had not anticipated the temperature drop and I paid for it.
The hour long class wore me out, my legs were trashed before heading out. Getting to my bike there was already frost on the seat. Starting out I knew I was in trouble - but what was I to do, call the wife?
Halfway into the ride, I felt like I had a bad case of brain freeze and my feet were getting cold. The situation deteriorated by the minute. I made it home in about 45 minutes, feeling the effects of the cold but not quite aware of how bad it was.
Getting out of the pedals, my feet felt like lifeless blocks of ice and legs felt numb. Coming in the door, my daughter asked if I was OK. I could only manage a raspy quiet "yes" as my throat was cold. Peeling off the layers, I could feel that my sinuses were cold, saw that my toes were bloodless white and noticed my member was without feeling. I went to the shower assess the situation and warm up. Indeed the appendage was as cold as ice to the touch.
The warming process was painful, I considered drugs or a trip to the doctor for a few minutes. In the end, everything recovered.
Usually I wear shorts over my tights in really cold temps. Now I remember why. The legs stay warmer because there is a good flow and the muscles are active, whereas tights can restrict flow to the unutilized area making it that much more susceptible to the cold.
Funny story. I live in Minnesota also and have never experienced this. I have however had many very very cold experiences. I've managed to avoid serious frostbite luckily. One time I was pretty sure I had frostbitten my feet because they became swollen and painful after rewarming them.

It seems to always take one really cold day or one really hot day each year to reteach me how to prepare. Every year I have a cold experience like yours and also a sunburn experience. I had my cold experience just the other night when it was a mere 27F and windy.

maydog said:
II could feel that my sinuses were cold, saw that my toes were bloodless white and noticed my member was without feeling. I went to the shower assess the situation and warm up. Indeed the appendage had an unhealthy color was as cold as ice to the touch.
I saw that Austin Powers movie: "Cold Member". Here's a pic of the Red Hot Chili Peppers outside of Minneapolis in winter wearing socks to prevent that very problem:

Originally Posted by gudujarlson .

Yeah, that's always been the case too, especially in the calves. Even hanging out in a cold pool for a while will start giving me cramp issues.

I actually end up drinking about the same amount, not so much cause of thirst like when it's hotter but because I need to wash the gunk out of my throat from sinus drainage. That and the fact that the cramps came yesterday at around the 50 minute mark, which was way too early to be dehydration.

Originally Posted by alienator .

You want to avoid the 60's bit or the 40's bit?
Was the sweatshirt cotton?
Really more of a joke, saying avoiding the 60s so I can stay used to the cold.

Yes, it's cotton. But not having cotton at the skin layer made a huge difference as it was 3 degrees cooler and I was actually overheating a tad. If I ride today I might skip the sweatshirt entirely and just try the windbreaker and compression shirt.

I'll say this has been quite an education in cycling clothing.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

I find it's easier to forget to drink when it's cold or when it's raining. Then again overdrinking H2O can just as easily lead to cramps as the blood salt levels become heavily diluted, ultimately what leads to water toxicity. JPW, your cramps may be from something else entirely, but my frequently occuring calf cramping during high intensity workouts pretty much dissappeared completely once I started using a salt suppliment like Nuun tablets.
I've always considered that it might be something else, but I actually pretty much proved it was the cold earlier this month. We had our usual bizarre weather swing, so we had a 45 degree day on Thursday, rode and got cramps at around the 7-8 mile mark. Monday it was 68 and FREAKING gorgeous outside (T-shirt and shorts ride), and since I got to work an hour early that day went for a personal record 24 mile ride. No cramps. By Wednesday it was colder again, around upper 40s. Once again, cramps at around the 7-8 mile mark.

The colder rides were actually a bit less demanding than the 24 mile one was terrain wise.