Tights

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by joetronic, Oct 19, 2005.

1. joetronic

joetronic New Member

At what temp do you all start wereing tights. this is my first winter cycling and i picked my first pair up form the LBS today. I was just wondering when you all start where ing them?

thanks
    Joe

Tags:

2. hillbasher

hillbasher New Member

OK. I will bite. How about " When it is more comfortable wearing them than not wearing them."

3. lumpy

lumpy New Member

As a general rule, I usually wear my tights if it's 60°f or below.

4. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Below 50F, I'm usually packing three layers up top and two pairs of gloves. My legs don't get cold enough for tights until about 40.

5. rule62

rule62 New Member

40's...or I start getting too hot after about a mile into my ride.

6. joetronic

joetronic New Member

Thanks. that's what I thought, when its more comfy to where them then not. At least they can be rolled up small and stored in a jersey pocket or whatever.

7. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

I hope that means you're planning on tights over shorts rather than padded tights. :eek: On long rides that start on cold mornings, I use a second bottle cage and some rubber bands to stash the extra layers as they come off.

8. Fradbut

Fradbut New Member

I start at about 15 deg's C, prefer to be too warm than cold as you can cool down on a bike but hard to warm up if cold.

9. capwater

capwater New Member

I'd say mid 40's. Until that level it's either regular bibs are might add in some knee warmers. They seem to be good for most cold rides as your legs stay pretty warm and the gap between sock top and warmer bottom is rather short, kinda like having a bit of a breeze blowing on that skin.

10. SilentShifter

SilentShifter New Member

I get cold very easily for some reason compared to everyone else here. When it drops below 60 the tights come on

11. joetronic

joetronic New Member

of course. I have paddless nike tights. Over shorts. Normaly my rides start out around 55ish, and end around high sixties this time of year. the second bottel cage is a good idea, I might need to try that.

12. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

It works pretty well as long as the roads are dry. If it's raining, your clothes are going to get blasted with dirt.

13. ghostpedal

ghostpedal New Member

Anything below 60 and I wear light weight tights, although I also consider the wind, as it has a drastic effect on how cold it actually feels. I switch to heavier tights if below 40.

14. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

16C and below : but you´ll often see the pros out in them at higher temps , do they know something we don´t ?

ps don´t forget the advantages that leg warmers have over tights when it´s not too cold .

15. road demon

road demon New Member

You have to protect your knees! Just thin layer of skin covering that blood starved knee joint is what protects you. Add a 15-25 mph wind to cyclingspeed and that alot of windchill even at 60/65 F.

For training rides, I normally do, if I get warm I can always remove the warmers while riding.

Right around 67 F I use knee warmers/arm warmers till maybe 50 F. I'll race with these too till 40 F.

Between 60-42 F I use full leg/arm warmers w/ a fabric vest, skull cap, and long fingers "dot' gloves. Either Pearl Izumi or Gioradana warmers work fine for me.

Below 42 F to 30 F I use some sort of windfront tight that covers the knee and quads (bellweather makes nice Versatech tight, that is very light to wear and excellent mobility).

Below 30 F to 10 F I use the Pearl Izumi Am-Fib tight, which keep me warm, but are not the best in terms of mobility. It is some sort of laminate fabric with a triple knee. Gore Windstopper fabric would be great for these temps, too.

16. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Can anyone else give me their input on the Pearl Izumi AmFib bib tights? Would they be too hot if I'm training/racing in North Carolina, Virginia, etc?

Or would the Nike Windfront bib tight be just fine?

Thanks

17. obxbes

obxbes Member

I do the same. Under 60 lightweight tights. Under 50 heavier weight.