Time AXS crankset or Campagnolo Chorus/Record?

Claus Assmann

Guest
Which one is "better" (manufacturing quality, durability, weight)?
I'm considering buying a Time VXS or VXRS Ulteam (any comments on
the relative merits of those?), and I'm currently going through the
lists of parts that need to be added to get a complete bike
(suggestions welcome).

Claus Assmann wrote:
> Which one is "better" (manufacturing quality, durability, weight)?
> I'm considering buying a Time VXS or VXRS Ulteam (any comments on
> the relative merits of those?), and I'm currently going through the
> lists of parts that need to be added to get a complete bike
> (suggestions welcome).

if the choice is only campy or time, i'd go campy. the random
orientation of their fiber lay-up is a very good system. campy also
seem to have taken to heart the persistent reliability problems they had
with their old super record era crank breakages and have been very
diligent about fatigue testing since then.

Claus Assmann (no-copies-please) wrote:
> Which one is "better" (manufacturing quality, durability, weight)?
> I'm considering buying a Time VXS or VXRS Ulteam (any comments on
> the relative merits of those?), and I'm currently going through the
> lists of parts that need to be added to get a complete bike
> (suggestions welcome).

Campagnolo..made better, better chainrings, much better BB. Hollow arms
for Record, same chainrings and BB Record->Chorus

jim beam wrote:

> if the choice is only campy or time, i'd go campy. the random

Well, the bike will be equipped with Campagnolo components
(Chorus or Record). I only asked about Time because that's
listed on some websites as optional component and it claims
to weigh "much" less than the Campa part(s).

What would you suggest as other option(s)?

> orientation of their fiber lay-up is a very good system. campy also
> seem to have taken to heart the persistent reliability problems they had
> with their old super record era crank breakages and have been very
> diligent about fatigue testing since then.

As also another poster was strongly in favor of Campagnolo
(thanks for the article!), that seems to be the way to go.
Thanks for the feedback!

Claus Assmann no-copies-please wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
> > if the choice is only campy or time, i'd go campy. the random

> Well, the bike will be equipped with Campagnolo components
> (Chorus or Record). I only asked about Time because that's
> listed on some websites as optional component and it claims
> to weigh "much" less than the Campa part(s).

I'm guessing their weight claim is compared to the aluminum Record
crank and separate square taper bottom bracket. Not compared to the
carbon Record crank and square taper bottom bracket. Or the supposedly
even lighter and newer carbon fiber integrated ultra torque Record
crank and built in bottom bracket thing with the hole through the
middle.

On 2007-01-09 18:00:41 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> said:

> Claus Assmann (no-copies-please) wrote:
>> Which one is "better" (manufacturing quality, durability, weight)?
>> I'm considering buying a Time VXS or VXRS Ulteam (any comments on
>> the relative merits of those?), and I'm currently going through the
>> lists of parts that need to be added to get a complete bike
>> (suggestions welcome).

> Campagnolo..made better, better chainrings, much better BB. Hollow arms
> for Record, same chainrings and BB Record->Chorus

I just got a Time VXS translink with Campy Record ultratorque
(compact crank). I couldn't be happier (although my bank
account could.)

Arthur Ogus wrote:

> I just got a Time VXS translink with Campy Record ultratorque

Sounds like a nice bike...

Question: why not the VXRS? Based on this:

> (compact crank). I couldn't be happier (although my bank
> account could.)

I guess it's wasn't worth the extra money?

On 2007-01-12 15:09:30 -0800, Claus Assmann
<ca+sendmail(no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> said:

> Arthur Ogus wrote:
>
>> I just got a Time VXS translink with Campy Record ultratorque

> Sounds like a nice bike...
>
> Question: why not the VXRS? Based on this:
>
>> (compact crank). I couldn't be happier (although my bank
>> account could.)

> I guess it's wasn't worth the extra money?

The VXRS costs more than $1,000 more than the VXS.
The VXS is the cheapest one with this model fork.
Also, it is touted as the smoothest ride, which is more important to me
than light weight.

Arthur Ogus wrote:
> On 2007-01-12 15:09:30 -0800, Claus Assmann
> <ca+sendmail(no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> said:
>
> > Arthur Ogus wrote:
> >
> >> I just got a Time VXS translink with Campy Record ultratorque

> > Sounds like a nice bike...
> >
> > Question: why not the VXRS? Based on this:
> >
> >> (compact crank). I couldn't be happier (although my bank
> >> account could.)

> > I guess it's wasn't worth the extra money?

> The VXRS costs more than $1,000 more than the VXS.
> The VXS is the cheapest one with this model fork.
> Also, it is touted as the smoothest ride, which is more important to me
> than light weight.

If ya want smooth and a great design..get the Campag one. Not sure what
you thuink you are getting with a non Campag crank.
Weight differences on a multi KG 'package of bike and rider' is lost in
the noise.