Time Bonuses: Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by hemplands, Apr 28, 2004.

1. hemplands

hemplands New Member

Isn't it about time that they did something about the time bonus collected at the end of the stage of the TdF. Surely if a rider is capable of winning the stage he should do it on merit and not be handed out free seconds.

The Vuelta seems to run perfectly well without this system and seems to produce much better results and the best rider wins.

Tags:

2. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Right on! This is a dumb idea and it leads to dumb tactics. I don't understand how this has anything to do with winning the stage on merit though. It does cause things like the Mayo-Ullrich situation last year - Mayo should have been able to sprint for a podium spot without taking away bonus seconds from Jan.

Another rule that needs updating is the 1-second of daylight rule for pack finishers - it too leads to negative riding when riders brake before the line to cause a time split when there shouldn't be one.

3. lazysegall

lazysegall New Member

In my view the time bonuses are great. First, it makes the early flat stages really exciting. Even after the opening prologue the sprinters are looking for Yellow. If no bonuses then no yellow for sprinters unless the prologue was elimintated.

Second, I want to see people race for second, third ect. Especially when there may have been a solo breakaway by a non gc threat.

Third, time bonuses show us who of the gc threats was the strongest on the day. If there were two evely matched gc threats they might never put gaps into each other. Nonetheless, one might have been the stronger rider. Think Rebellin and Boogerd (not tours, but Rebellin was the stronger rider). Thus even if one of the riders had won 4 stages while the other none. The less strong rider. Could win because of a two second TT advantage. This also keeps winning the stage a big priority not just putting in time, by other odd methods.

4. leif_ericson

leif_ericson New Member

I don't think that stage finish position should be relevant in amount of time given.

I mean, lets say the GC contenders battle it out on a mountaintop finish. The guy who wins the battle will get more time if there wasn't a breakaway ahead, even if that breakaway wasn't relevant to the GC riders at all.

I really can't stand the static time bonuses and limits... 20 seconds for winning... that 20 seconds could mean nothing or everything, depending on how the race goes, and how the weather is... etc.. Just like the 2:30 rule in the TTT. That is too static, when 2:30 could mean everything or nothing in the TTT, depending on the weather. Its really stupid.