Time Equipe cleats!! (Help!)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Padded Paddler, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Maybe somebody can help. I've got a set of Time Equipe Pro Titan[ium] Mag[nesium] pedals from circa
    1996. I don't, however, have cleats. Time says they don't stock them anymore. It seems kinda weird
    to me since a cleat seems to be an item that wears out and these pedals were pretty pricey (~$300.)

    I know they're old but 1996 doesn't seem like it was THAT long ago. Then again, I'm getting old and
    music that sounds current to me is winding up on "retro" stations...

    Any idea where else I could look or if there was a reasonable substitute somebody could suggest
    (yeah, right!), I would appreciate it!

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    try any bike shop. QBP should still have them in stock

    David

    "padded paddler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Maybe somebody can help. I've got a set of Time Equipe Pro
    Titan[ium]
    > Mag[nesium] pedals from circa 1996. I don't, however, have cleats. Time says they don't stock
    > them anymore. It seems kinda weird to me since a cleat seems to be an item that wears out and
    > these pedals
    were
    > pretty pricey (~$300.)
    >
    > I know they're old but 1996 doesn't seem like it was THAT long ago. Then again, I'm getting old
    > and music that sounds current to me is winding up on "retro" stations...
    >
    > Any idea where else I could look or if there was a reasonable substitute somebody could suggest
    > (yeah, right!), I would appreciate it!
    >
    > TIA

  3. Cyclpsycho

    Cyclpsycho Guest

    Try Colorado Cyclist @ www.coloradocyclist.com

  4. > Maybe somebody can help. I've got a set of Time Equipe Pro Titan[ium] Mag[nesium] pedals from
    > circa 1996. I don't, however, have cleats. Time says they don't stock them anymore. It seems kinda
    > weird to me since a cleat seems to be an item that wears out and these pedals were pretty pricey
    > (~$300.)
    >
    > I know they're old but 1996 doesn't seem like it was THAT long ago. Then again, I'm getting old
    > and music that sounds current to me is winding up on "retro" stations...

    Something's amiss here. The cleats are most certainly available. In fact, I believe they still sell
    pedals that use the same cleat. What Time *did* discontinue, some time ago (probably early 90s), was
    the cleat designed for their original shoe. The front piece was the same, but the rear had a
    peculiar shape to it (where it mated with the shoe).

    "padded paddler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Maybe somebody can help. I've got a set of Time Equipe Pro Titan[ium] Mag[nesium] pedals from
    > circa 1996. I don't, however, have cleats. Time says they don't stock them anymore. It seems kinda
    > weird to me since a cleat seems to be an item that wears out and these pedals were pretty pricey
    > (~$300.)
    >
    > I know they're old but 1996 doesn't seem like it was THAT long ago. Then again, I'm getting old
    > and music that sounds current to me is winding up on "retro" stations...
    >
    > Any idea where else I could look or if there was a reasonable substitute somebody could suggest
    > (yeah, right!), I would appreciate it!
    >
    > TIA

  5. David

    David Guest

    wrong. Time no longer sells there equipe model. I believe model year 2003 they switched over to the
    Time Impact pedal system, which a drastic redesign, by my point of view. With this redesign, their
    cleats have also changed, including one huge factor, from the 4 bolt pattern to a 3 bolt look
    pattern, so if you have their old TBT soled shoes like mine (circa 1998) you have to buy an adapter
    to use with their new pedals. hmmm sucks, I'll stick with my old time equipe mag pedals, they work
    well enough.

    David

    > > Maybe somebody can help. I've got a set of Time Equipe Pro
    Titan[ium]
    > > Mag[nesium] pedals from circa 1996. I don't, however, have cleats. Time says they don't stock
    > > them anymore. It seems kinda weird to
    me
    > > since a cleat seems to be an item that wears out and these pedals
    were
    > > pretty pricey (~$300.)
    > >
    > > I know they're old but 1996 doesn't seem like it was THAT long
    ago.
    > > Then again, I'm getting old and music that sounds current to me is winding up on "retro"
    > > stations...
    >
    > Something's amiss here. The cleats are most certainly available.
    In fact,
    > I believe they still sell pedals that use the same cleat. What Time
    *did*
    > discontinue, some time ago (probably early 90s), was the cleat
    designed for
    > their original shoe. The front piece was the same, but the rear had
    > peculiar shape to it (where it mated with the shoe).

    > "padded paddler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Maybe somebody can help. I've got a set of Time Equipe Pro
    Titan[ium]
    > > Mag[nesium] pedals from circa 1996. I don't, however, have cleats. Time says they don't stock
    > > them anymore. It seems kinda weird to
    me
    > > since a cleat seems to be an item that wears out and these pedals
    were
    > > pretty pricey (~$300.)
    > >
    > > I know they're old but 1996 doesn't seem like it was THAT long
    ago.
    > > Then again, I'm getting old and music that sounds current to me is winding up on "retro"
    > > stations...
    > >
    > > Any idea where else I could look or if there was a reasonable substitute somebody could suggest
    > > (yeah, right!), I would
    appreciate
    > > it!
    > >
    > > TIA

  6. > wrong. Time no longer sells there equipe model. I believe model year 2003 they switched over to
    > the Time Impact pedal system, which a drastic redesign, by my point of view. With this redesign,
    > their cleats have also changed, including one huge factor, from the 4 bolt pattern to a 3 bolt
    > look pattern, so if you have their old TBT soled shoes like mine (circa 1998) you have to buy an
    > adapter to use with their new pedals. hmmm sucks, I'll stick with my old time equipe mag pedals,
    > they work well enough.
    >
    > David

    David: There are still enough Time "old style" pedals in the marketplace that I don't think you'll
    have to worry about your shoes outlasting them.

    I was aware of the changeover to the new three-bolt pedal system, but didn't realize they'd actually
    completely discontinued the old style. Things change. Glad I don't have any inventory of shoes
    optimized for the old-style pedals!

  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Excel Sports is out. LBSs out as well.

    [email protected] (padded paddler) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Maybe somebody can help. I've got a set of Time Equipe Pro Titan[ium] Mag[nesium] pedals from
    > circa 1996. I don't, however, have cleats. Time says they don't stock them anymore. It seems kinda
    > weird to me since a cleat seems to be an item that wears out and these pedals were pretty pricey
    > (~$300.)
    >
    > I know they're old but 1996 doesn't seem like it was THAT long ago. Then again, I'm getting old
    > and music that sounds current to me is winding up on "retro" stations...
    >
    > Any idea where else I could look or if there was a reasonable substitute somebody could suggest
    > (yeah, right!), I would appreciate it!
    >
    > TIA

  8. David

    David Guest

    my recommendation, which I am taking myself, is buy as many as you think you will need before you
    change setups, so I bought 2 sets.

    David

    "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Excel Sports is out. LBSs out as well.
    >

    > [email protected] (padded paddler) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Maybe somebody can help. I've got a set of Time Equipe Pro
    Titan[ium]
    > > Mag[nesium] pedals from circa 1996. I don't, however, have cleats. Time says they don't stock
    > > them anymore. It seems kinda weird to
    me
    > > since a cleat seems to be an item that wears out and these pedals
    were
    > > pretty pricey (~$300.)
    > >
    > > I know they're old but 1996 doesn't seem like it was THAT long
    ago.
    > > Then again, I'm getting old and music that sounds current to me is winding up on "retro"
    > > stations...
    > >
    > > Any idea where else I could look or if there was a reasonable substitute somebody could suggest
    > > (yeah, right!), I would
    appreciate
    > > it!
    > >
    > > TIA