Time for a new speed bike, advice needed.

steuspeed

Feb 24, 2007
This is my first post here. It looks like a good place. I have pretty much worn out my 2001 Specialized Sirrus Comp. Mavic rims are gone. Drive train totally worn out and BB is starting to click on the right pedal stroke. I commute about 3+ miles. I hit one short cut about 75 yrds down a railroad gravel trail. My riding is lots of stop n' go with some cobble and old exposed railroad tracks all in downtown Portland. The Sirrus works pretty well. I like the flat bar so I can pull up over curbs and pot holes. I can see high over cars when going through intersections. The cost of refurbish is near new bike dollars so I am on the hunt for a replacement. I want 2 ring gearing. I am never on the granny gears anymore. I want the speed with more comfort. I tested a few bikes last summer. Kona Dr Dew (beautiful, but heavy and more light trail suited) , 2005 Felt SR71 (fast and light, but no longer available with flat bar) and Specialized with carbon fork/stays (It didn't feel like $1600.00 improvment over what I have).

I saw the new Trek 7.6 FX this week. It got me excited again. I like the whole package Bontager everything, alloy frame and carbon fork at just under 1K. A little research lead me to Cannondale Raod Warrior 1000. No dealer is stocking this bike, so I tested the 500. Same frame/fork, but much lower components. The hand made USA frame has my attention. The ride was very nice over the worst roads nearby. I seemed a bit streched out, which could be adjusted with fitment? The sales guy said that Cannondale frames were long? I think the Trek is Taiwan. Fit was great, but some jarring to the hands on the test ride. Anther choice is the 2006 Bianchi Alfana. Not sure if this is Italian or Tiawan frame. Looks like tighter geometry. Dealer would have to ship from Cali.

I guess my thought is that I want a better frame/fork with the right drivetrain for my needs. Other components I can change or upgrade more easily. Any comments regarding these bikes and their frames especially the Cannondale would be appreciated.

steuspeed said:
Thanks for the tip. I'll check into the CRX line.
I suspect that if you test ride it, you'll give it a miss. In my experience Giants are just far too flexy in the bottom bracket.

Haven't tried any of this years CRXs, but the Trek 7.6 FX is a fantastic ride.

Agreed on the Trek. Keep in mind that you can get a rough ride from any bike on a test ride if the fit isn't quite right and you've got your arms locked out.

On the other hand, I put a carbon bar on my 7.7FX and it made the perfect amount of difference to smooth out that last little bit of the ride. YMMV of course but I love mine, and it has held up very well to quite a bit of trail and city commute riding.