time for a one mile lap swim/workout structure

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Skipthomp48, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Al

    Al Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, HelgiBriem_1 @hotmail.com says...

    > >> Really? So a mile is 33 metres? I didn't know that ;-)
    >
    > >See other post, a brainfart. I missed out a little bit, like the first 63 lengths ;^)
    >
    > No probs. That's what Usenet is all about, anyway. Pedantically correcting other people's trivial
    > errors and thereby reinforcing your sense of superiority.

    True enough - half the groups out there nowadays amount to nothing more than spell-checking
    alternatives.

    - Al

  2. Al

    Al Guest

    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:08:26 +0000, diablo wrote:
    >

    > > of course, if oscarthegrouch is actually an american, it makes sense to carve it up into 2 25y
    > > pools - then they can hold championship SC meets. with only a 50m, (assuming theres no warm down
    > > facility) they can't.
    > >
    > > if hes not a yank however, then yeah, its a dumbass move.
    > >

    > Saving, of course, the oh-my-gosh-yards-while-kinda-dumb-are-really-fun-to-race factor. Personally
    > I'd rather in favour of a 15m competition pool or, I dunno, a World Cup of Water Sliding tour or
    > something. Only partly tongue in cheek.

    I used to think I would rule the world if a 50m fly were ever a sanctioned event, but sadly I
    discovered there were others out there that could writhe a pretty decent 50 fly (even if they fell
    flat on their face for the 2nd 50 of a 100.) Now I'm convinced the 15m event will be my forte :)

    - Al

  3. Donal Fagan

    Donal Fagan Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:09:51 -0800 (PST),
    [email protected] (Steve Curtis) wrote:

    >What's your problem?

    Why do you think I have a problem?

    >Because you either can't or don't want to swim a mile doesn't mean others may not want to.

    My workout is usually 2000 to 2500 yards. I'm sure some people want to do at least a mile.

    Donal Fagan AIA [email protected]'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

  4. Donal Fagan

    Donal Fagan Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:00:20 -0800 (PST),
    [email protected] (Steve Curtis) wrote:

    > Fine, if that statement was meant to impress, it doesn't.

    I know lots of people here do far more. I used to myself, before kids.

    >The point is that posting a length count of 72 lengths per mile for a 25 yard pool lane is somewhat
    >misleading for those who want to keep an accurate track of their distances for whatever reason and
    >might be unaware of the inaccuracy of the listed length count posted by the staff.

    Heh. The sign currently says: 18 lengths = 1/4 mile 36 lengths = 1/2 mile 72 lengths = 1 mile 1 lap
    = 2 lengths

    Imagine if it said:
    17.6 lengths = 1/4 mile
    18.2 lengths = 1/2 mile
    19.4 lengths = 1 mile 1 lap = 2 lengths

    You'd be happy, but there'd be a steady stream of people asking the lifeguards "How far is 0.6
    lengths?", "Now, where do I start?" "How'm I supposed to swim 0.2 lengths," "Why can't I just swim
    an even number?" etc.

    >Like I said, the horse has been dead for awhile, it's time for the beating to cease.

    Fine. Cease.

    Donal Fagan AIA [email protected]'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

  5. Oscargrouch

    Oscargrouch Guest

    yeah, i'm a yank and i suspect it's because official college meets are
    competed at 25 yards? is that correct? i can tell you this, that on the
    occasion they have it set up for the full 50m, for a 1:10 per freestyle lap

    "diablo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KZn%[email protected]...

    > of course, if oscarthegrouch is actually an american, it makes sense to carve it up into 2 25y
    > pools - then they can hold championship SC meets. with only a 50m, (assuming theres no warm down
    > facility) they can't.
    >
    > if hes not a yank however, then yeah, its a dumbass move.
    >
    > "m. w. smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:05:32 -0500, oscargrouch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > agreed...why they take the pool i swim in, which is a perfectly good
    50m
    > > > X 25m, and carve it up into two 25 yard pools, is beyond me
    > >
    > > You wouldn't want to, of course, if you can run 25m lanes across it. But if it was 50m by only
    > > 20m or something, then it makes sense to have a movable boom so you can split into two 25m pools
    > > and double the number
    of
    > > training groups that can train simultaneously.
    > >
    > > martin
    > >
    > > --
    > > If you are a US citizen, please use your constitutional right to vote, because we badly need a
    > > new president.

  6. Al

    Al Guest

    > yeah, i'm a yank and i suspect it's because official college meets are competed at 25 yards? is
    > that correct? i can tell you this, that on the occasion they have it set up for the full 50m, for
    > a 1:10 per freestyle lap

    I remember my first exposture to long course - a 50m fly when I was 8 years old. The guy next to
    meet was steadily pulling away, but I ended up winning the heat because by the end he was doing
    breastroke :).

    - Al

  7. Donal Fagan

    Donal Fagan Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:39:03 +0000, Helgi Briem
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Go metric already.

    Maybe we will. They used to claim that it cost too much to retool, but all our manufacturing is
    moving to metric countries anyway.

    Donal Fagan AIA [email protected]'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

  8. Helgi Briem

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:49:23 GMT, Donal Fagan <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:39:03 +0000, Helgi Briem <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Go metric already.
    >
    >Maybe we will. They used to claim that it cost too much to retool, but all our manufacturing is
    >moving to metric countries anyway.

    All US industry is already metric. You couldn't export anything if it wasn't. Your plane, train and
    automobile factories were retooled years ago. A 302 CID engine is really a 5 litre engine.

  9. tReynolds

    tReynolds New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Hi, I suggest you to enroll in a swim lesson. There you will learn different customized swim workouts for triathlon and it will help you improve your technical proficiency, fitness level and ultimately swimming performance.