time for a one mile lap swim/workout structure

In article <[email protected]>, HelgiBriem_1 @hotmail.com says...

> >> Really? So a mile is 33 metres? I didn't know that ;-)
>
> >See other post, a brainfart. I missed out a little bit, like the first 63 lengths ;^)
>
> No probs. That's what Usenet is all about, anyway. Pedantically correcting other people's trivial
> errors and thereby reinforcing your sense of superiority.

True enough - half the groups out there nowadays amount to nothing more than spell-checking
alternatives.

- Al

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:08:26 +0000, diablo wrote:
>

> > of course, if oscarthegrouch is actually an american, it makes sense to carve it up into 2 25y
> > pools - then they can hold championship SC meets. with only a 50m, (assuming theres no warm down
> > facility) they can't.
> >
> > if hes not a yank however, then yeah, its a dumbass move.
> >

> Saving, of course, the oh-my-gosh-yards-while-kinda-dumb-are-really-fun-to-race factor. Personally
> I'd rather in favour of a 15m competition pool or, I dunno, a World Cup of Water Sliding tour or
> something. Only partly tongue in cheek.

I used to think I would rule the world if a 50m fly were ever a sanctioned event, but sadly I
discovered there were others out there that could writhe a pretty decent 50 fly (even if they fell
flat on their face for the 2nd 50 of a 100.) Now I'm convinced the 15m event will be my forte :)

- Al

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:09:51 -0800 (PST),
[email protected] (Steve Curtis) wrote:

>What's your problem?

Why do you think I have a problem?

>Because you either can't or don't want to swim a mile doesn't mean others may not want to.

My workout is usually 2000 to 2500 yards. I'm sure some people want to do at least a mile.

Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:00:20 -0800 (PST),
[email protected] (Steve Curtis) wrote:

> Fine, if that statement was meant to impress, it doesn't.

I know lots of people here do far more. I used to myself, before kids.

>The point is that posting a length count of 72 lengths per mile for a 25 yard pool lane is somewhat
>misleading for those who want to keep an accurate track of their distances for whatever reason and
>might be unaware of the inaccuracy of the listed length count posted by the staff.

Heh. The sign currently says: 18 lengths = 1/4 mile 36 lengths = 1/2 mile 72 lengths = 1 mile 1 lap
= 2 lengths

Imagine if it said:
17.6 lengths = 1/4 mile
18.2 lengths = 1/2 mile
19.4 lengths = 1 mile 1 lap = 2 lengths

You'd be happy, but there'd be a steady stream of people asking the lifeguards "How far is 0.6
lengths?", "Now, where do I start?" "How'm I supposed to swim 0.2 lengths," "Why can't I just swim
an even number?" etc.

>Like I said, the horse has been dead for awhile, it's time for the beating to cease.

Fine. Cease.

Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

yeah, i'm a yank and i suspect it's because official college meets are
competed at 25 yards? is that correct? i can tell you this, that on the
occasion they have it set up for the full 50m, for a 1:10 per freestyle lap

"diablo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KZn%[email protected]...

> of course, if oscarthegrouch is actually an american, it makes sense to carve it up into 2 25y
> pools - then they can hold championship SC meets. with only a 50m, (assuming theres no warm down
> facility) they can't.
>
> if hes not a yank however, then yeah, its a dumbass move.
>
> "m. w. smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:05:32 -0500, oscargrouch <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > agreed...why they take the pool i swim in, which is a perfectly good
50m
> > > X 25m, and carve it up into two 25 yard pools, is beyond me
> >
> > You wouldn't want to, of course, if you can run 25m lanes across it. But if it was 50m by only
> > 20m or something, then it makes sense to have a movable boom so you can split into two 25m pools
> > and double the number
of
> > training groups that can train simultaneously.
> >
> > martin
> >
> > --
> > If you are a US citizen, please use your constitutional right to vote, because we badly need a
> > new president.

> yeah, i'm a yank and i suspect it's because official college meets are competed at 25 yards? is
> that correct? i can tell you this, that on the occasion they have it set up for the full 50m, for
> a 1:10 per freestyle lap

I remember my first exposture to long course - a 50m fly when I was 8 years old. The guy next to
meet was steadily pulling away, but I ended up winning the heat because by the end he was doing
breastroke :).

- Al

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:39:03 +0000, Helgi Briem
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Go metric already.

Maybe we will. They used to claim that it cost too much to retool, but all our manufacturing is
moving to metric countries anyway.

Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:49:23 GMT, Donal Fagan <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:39:03 +0000, Helgi Briem <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Go metric already.
>
>Maybe we will. They used to claim that it cost too much to retool, but all our manufacturing is
>moving to metric countries anyway.

All US industry is already metric. You couldn't export anything if it wasn't. Your plane, train and
automobile factories were retooled years ago. A 302 CID engine is really a 5 litre engine.