time for a one mile lap swim/workout structure

In article <[email protected]>, HelgiBriem_1 @hotmail.com says...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:26:32 GMT, Brian D <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> >I swim every Saturday in a 36.67 yard pool, 48 lengths is exactly a mile. There are also
> >> >27½yard pools around, 64 lengths will be exactly a mile in those. A 25m pool is about 8 metres
> >> >short of a mile.
> >>
> >> Really? So a mile is 33 metres? I didn't know that ;-)
>
> >See other post, a brainfart. I missed out a little bit, like the first 63 lengths ;^)
>
> No probs. That's what Usenet is all about, anyway. Pedantically correcting other people's trivial
> errors and thereby reinforcing your sense of superiority.

True enough - half the groups out there nowadays amount to nothing more than spell-checking
alternatives.

- Al

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:08:26 +0000, diablo wrote:
>
>
> > of course, if oscarthegrouch is actually an american, it makes sense to carve it up into 2 25y
> > pools - then they can hold championship SC meets. with only a 50m, (assuming theres no warm down
> > facility) they can't.
> >
> > if hes not a yank however, then yeah, its a dumbass move.
> >
> >
> Saving, of course, the oh-my-gosh-yards-while-kinda-dumb-are-really-fun-to-race factor. Personally
> I'd rather in favour of a 15m competition pool or, I dunno, a World Cup of Water Sliding tour or
> something. Only partly tongue in cheek.

I used to think I would rule the world if a 50m fly were ever a sanctioned event, but sadly I
discovered there were others out there that could writhe a pretty decent 50 fly (even if they fell
flat on their face for the 2nd 50 of a 100.) Now I'm convinced the 15m event will be my forte :)

- Al

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:09:51 -0800 (PST),
[email protected] (Steve Curtis) wrote:

>What's your problem?

Why do you think I have a problem?

>Because you either can't or don't want to swim a mile doesn't mean others may not want to.

My workout is usually 2000 to 2500 yards. I'm sure some people want to do at least a mile.

Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:00:20 -0800 (PST),
[email protected] (Steve Curtis) wrote:

> Fine, if that statement was meant to impress, it doesn't.

I know lots of people here do far more. I used to myself, before kids.

>The point is that posting a length count of 72 lengths per mile for a 25 yard pool lane is somewhat
>misleading for those who want to keep an accurate track of their distances for whatever reason and
>might be unaware of the inaccuracy of the listed length count posted by the staff.

Heh. The sign currently says: 18 lengths = 1/4 mile 36 lengths = 1/2 mile 72 lengths = 1 mile 1 lap
= 2 lengths

Imagine if it said:
17.6 lengths = 1/4 mile
18.2 lengths = 1/2 mile
19.4 lengths = 1 mile 1 lap = 2 lengths

You'd be happy, but there'd be a steady stream of people asking the lifeguards "How far is 0.6
lengths?", "Now, where do I start?" "How'm I supposed to swim 0.2 lengths," "Why can't I just swim
an even number?" etc.

>Like I said, the horse has been dead for awhile, it's time for the beating to cease.

Fine. Cease.

yeah, i'm a yank and i suspect it's because official college meets are
competed at 25 yards? is that correct? i can tell you this, that on the
occasion they have it set up for the full 50m, for a 1:10 per freestyle lap

"diablo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KZn%[email protected]...
>
> of course, if oscarthegrouch is actually an american, it makes sense to carve it up into 2 25y
> pools - then they can hold championship SC meets. with only a 50m, (assuming theres no warm down
> facility) they can't.
>
> if hes not a yank however, then yeah, its a dumbass move.
>
> "m. w. smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:05:32 -0500, oscargrouch <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > agreed...why they take the pool i swim in, which is a perfectly good
50m
> > > X 25m, and carve it up into two 25 yard pools, is beyond me
> >
> > You wouldn't want to, of course, if you can run 25m lanes across it. But if it was 50m by only
> > 20m or something, then it makes sense to have a movable boom so you can split into two 25m pools
> > and double the number
of
> > training groups that can train simultaneously.
> >
> > martin
> >
> > --
> > If you are a US citizen, please use your constitutional right to vote, because we badly need a
> > new president.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> yeah, i'm a yank and i suspect it's because official college meets are competed at 25 yards? is
> that correct? i can tell you this, that on the occasion they have it set up for the full 50m, for
> a 1:10 per freestyle lap

I remember my first exposture to long course - a 50m fly when I was 8 years old. The guy next to
meet was steadily pulling away, but I ended up winning the heat because by the end he was doing
breastroke :).

- Al

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:39:03 +0000, Helgi Briem
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Go metric already.

Maybe we will. They used to claim that it cost too much to retool, but all our manufacturing is
moving to metric countries anyway.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:49:23 GMT, Donal Fagan <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:39:03 +0000, Helgi Briem <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Go metric already.
>
>Maybe we will. They used to claim that it cost too much to retool, but all our manufacturing is
>moving to metric countries anyway.

All US industry is already metric. You couldn't export anything if it wasn't. Your plane, train and
automobile factories were retooled years ago. A 302 CID engine is really a 5 litre engine.