Time for Liggett to go!

Ashley.S.Olsen said:
phil anderson was favorite in 1983. he was australian.
He was good ashley but not that good. Mix in a burger or something.... get some lbs. ON or shut the **** up. :)

Grater said:
Also to all the australian's here, I've had enough of our media and the bias they are giving to Evans. It's Evans this and Evans that. All they worry about in news reports in the morning is that Evans is sitting 4th, Evans finished in 20th or what have you. There's more riders than Evans in the race.
That's just typical Australian media.

eg: The morning type shows (non sporting, in fact non anything :rolleyes: ) etc.
They refer to Evans in this sort of manner. Evans placed 9th overall in the Tour De France is off to a slow start.
The majority of the media have no idea how sport works.

It's like watching the Olympics, all we get to see is Aussie's perform. The media over rate many of them or pile on gold medal expectations on the more favoured. If they do medal we will see the performance ad infinitum rather than seeing other interesting events etc.
The media love a winner and play them to death until they lose, then it's crucifixion time.

If Evans comes second, just see how the media headline it. "Evans loses tour" A shame they can't differentiate the difference. Sensationalism, that's all they want.

What I'm getting at is the general media are a bunch of uninformed tools & life commentators. They have no idea.
It's not Evans fault the way the general media are.

edit:fixed up some typo's

Trev_S said:
That's just typical Australian media.

eg: The morning type shows (non sporting, in fact non anything :rolleyes: ) etc.
They refer to Evans in this sort of manner. Evans placed 9th overall in the Tour De France is off to a slow start.
The majority of the media have no idea how sport works.

It's like watching the Olympics, all we get to see is Aussie's perform. The media over rate many of them or pile on gold medal expectations on the more favoured. If they do medal we will see the performance ad infinitum rather than seeing other interesting events etc.
The media love a winner and play them to death until they loose, then it's crucification time.

If Evans comes second, just see how the media headline it. "Evans looses tour" A shame they can't differentiate the difference. Sensationalism, that's all they want.

What I'm getting at is the general media are a bunch of uninformed tools & life commentators. They have no idea.
It's not Evans fault the way the general media are.
That's true!

Grater said:
After last night I've had enough of this guys commentary. He is over the hill. He gets confused by riders and it's starting to get a bit embarassing for him. Last night in particular confusing Cavendish with Ciolek. Calling Cavendish's name first heading to the line then saying Ciolek has won it. Little things like that suggest that he is getting rusty. Last year also when Gerdemenn won the stage he was saying 'Gerdemenns'

Also to all the australian's here, I've had enough of our media and the bias they are giving to Evans. It's Evans this and Evans that. All they worry about in news reports in the morning is that Evans is sitting 4th, Evans finished in 20th or what have you. There's more riders than Evans in the race.

Hopefully he doesn't win the tour! The media coverage will be unbearable. He's like Jana Rawlingson - all about them and noone else.
you can tell them apart.

Cav sprints a little like Petacchi, very low, even more forward, straight line, does not move the bike.

Ciolek looks a little more like Boonen, bobbing, and muscling his bike left and right.

And Cav is the only rider in the peloton who can sprint from 270 metres, false flat, headwind, Freire in his slipstream, and win easily.

Classic1 could have called that sprint in sillhouette knowing the riders' style and technniques.

thunder said:
you can tell them apart.

Cav sprints a little like Petacchi, very low, even more forward, straight line, does not move the bike.

Ciolek looks a little more like Boonen, bobbing, and muscling his bike left and right.

And Cav is the only rider in the peloton who can sprint from 270 metres, false flat, headwind, Freire in his slipstream, and win easily.

Classic1 could have called that sprint in sillhouette knowing the riders' style and technniques.
Yep!

I reckon I would be a good race caller. But I know me, I'd be bias towards Columbia ! :D

Grater said:
Yep!

I reckon I would be a good race caller. But I know me, I'd be bias towards Columbia ! :D
No way... you're one of the most unbiased cycling fans in here Grates... :D

I think you had one non-Columbia guy in your picks a few nights ago... :p

Crankyfeet said:

I reckon a Crankyfeet and Grater commentary team would be on the money

Crankyfeet said:

Haha. Last night I had one.

thunder said:
you can tell them apart.

No I couldn't have. I fell asleep.

thunder said:
I reckon a Crankyfeet and Grater commentary team would be on the money
I think you made your point.

Phil is good.

Though I did have fun imagining Thunder Ventura as our on-the-ground expert. We would have trouble getting thunder to do the post race interviews as he will probably be trying to pull the hair of the podium girls to get their attention... :p

OAR8 said:
He was good ashley but not that good. Mix in a burger or something.... get some lbs. ON or shut the **** up. :)
You've got a great way with words!!

Did anyone hear his comment on top of the second last climb.

And this is Ciolek at the back putting in a good performance for Discovery!

I dont mind Phil, but what was up with him saying Sanchez's eyes were as sharp as nuts?

That is one american saying ive never heard :D

Grater said:
Did anyone hear his comment on top of the second last climb.

And this is Ciolek at the back putting in a good performance for Discovery!

Well, Bobke was referring to the Columbia riders as 'the blue train' today.

I am not sure Liggett is even paying attention to the race. I think he commentates on what he is seeing on the screen at that very moment without any thought to what is happening. Today, there was a long shot of Schumacher blowing up and going backwards out of the bunch. Fifteen minutes later Liggett had him trying to bridge accross to the leaders with Nibali.

Frigo's Luggage said:
I am not sure Liggett is even paying attention to the race. I think he commentates on what he is seeing on the screen at that very moment without any thought to what is happening. Today, there was a long shot of Schumacher blowing up and going backwards out of the bunch. Fifteen minutes later Liggett had him trying to bridge accross to the leaders with Nibali.
LOL!

I have never seen so many know-it-all babies. First, someone complains about the Versus coverage (which is the only coverage) and now we complain about the commentators. Someone is getting too old because they are calling the wrong rider in the midst of a crowded sprint at the line, get real. Phil Liggett is a wonderful ambassador for the sport of cycling and does a great job with his coverage. Everybody on the web is an authority, all you need is a computer and you can show just how smart you are. The monday morning quarterbacks are everywhere. I met Phil Liggett at the tour of Georgia three years ago and he took time with me and many other cycling fans to have photos taken and chat about the tour. Many people in his position don't have time for the folks and won't give you the time of day, but Phil Liggett knows how important the people are to the future of cycling and he took the time. Phil Liggett has a long history with covering cycling and I for one enjoy him and his comments. I don't see his coverage and ability diminishing in the least. If you listen to any live coverage you will catch mistakes from all the commentators... after all they are human. Give this guy a break and stop the constant complaining about everything. Some of you people have got to be the most critical and unhappy people on earth.

leerobbs said:
I have never seen so many know-it-all babies. First, someone complains about the Versus coverage (which is the only coverage) and now we complain about the commentators. Someone is getting too old because they are calling the wrong rider in the midst of a crowded sprint at the line, get real. Phil Liggett is a wonderful ambassador for the sport of cycling and does a great job with his coverage. Everybody on the web is an authority, all you need is a computer and you can show just how smart you are. The monday morning quarterbacks are everywhere. I met Phil Liggett at the tour of Georgia three years ago and he took time with me and many other cycling fans to have photos taken and chat about the tour. Many people in his position don't have time for the folks and won't give you the time of day, but Phil Liggett knows how important the people are to the future of cycling and he took the time. Phil Liggett has a long history with covering cycling and I for one enjoy him and his comments. I don't see his coverage and ability diminishing in the least. If you listen to any live coverage you will catch mistakes from all the commentators... after all they are human. Give this guy a break and stop the constant complaining about everything. Some of you people have got to be the most critical and unhappy people on earth.
Does that mean everyone who is a "nice guy" should be allowed to commentate (or do any job) incompetently and be protected from any criticism?

Nobody is attacking Phil Liggett's character here (despite the fact that he knows what's going on in the peloton regarding doping.... but spins a load of **** about "a few bad eggs" on air).

And the... "We went up to <insert adored celebrity here> and instead of him telling us that we were all a bunch of parasitic losers who were only interested in talking to him because he was a celebrity... he gave us his autograph and wished us well.... he's a really, really, nice person"... story figures.

leerobs... don't take this forum too seriously. It's not the editorial page of the Washington Post, or The Guardian. Maybe 300 people in the whole world have read this thread... and probably take it about as seriously as the comics page of a newspaper.

happy0144.gif

leerobbs said:
You are right. He is an ambassador. Pretty much a public relations shill. No wait. He is a salesman. Selling a load of **** to people that don't know any better. He is not a journalist. If Charles Manson was an English speaking bike rider at the Tour, Phil would swoon over him.

BTW. I've seen some Manson interviews and he uses cycling lingo. I wouldn't be surprised if the nutbag used to ride.