Time for Liggett to go!

Grater

Jan 30, 2006
After last night I've had enough of this guys commentary. He is over the hill. He gets confused by riders and it's starting to get a bit embarassing for him. Last night in particular confusing Cavendish with Ciolek. Calling Cavendish's name first heading to the line then saying Ciolek has won it. Little things like that suggest that he is getting rusty. Last year also when Gerdemenn won the stage he was saying 'Gerdemenns'

Also to all the australian's here, I've had enough of our media and the bias they are giving to Evans. It's Evans this and Evans that. All they worry about in news reports in the morning is that Evans is sitting 4th, Evans finished in 20th or what have you. There's more riders than Evans in the race.

Hopefully he doesn't win the tour! The media coverage will be unbearable. He's like Jana Rawlingson - all about them and noone else.

Grater said:
After last night I've had enough of this guys commentary. He is over the hill. He gets confused by riders and it's starting to get a bit embarassing for him. Last night in particular confusing Cavendish with Ciolek. Calling Cavendish's name first heading to the line then saying Ciolek has won it. Little things like that suggest that he is getting rusty. Last year also when Gerdemenn won the stage he was saying 'Gerdemenns'

Also to all the australian's here, I've had enough of our media and the bias they are giving to Evans. It's Evans this and Evans that. All they worry about in news reports in the morning is that Evans is sitting 4th, Evans finished in 20th or what have you. There's more riders than Evans in the race.

Hopefully he doesn't win the tour! The media coverage will be unbearable. He's like Jana Rawlingson - all about them and noone else.
Most offensive comment of all time. The only person on planet Earth who is a bigger media **** than Jana is Madonna. Take that back or Cadel will kick you in the nuts.

classic1 said:
Most offensive comment of all time. The only person on planet Earth who is a bigger media **** than Jana is Madonna. Take that back or Cadel will kick you in the nuts.

He he he.

Ah Phil - the Murray Walker of cycling...bless him.

And force him into retirement.

Grater said:

Come on Grates. If Evans wins the TdF it will be almost like Australia II winning the America's Cup. You can't blame them for hyping it up.

Agreed on Phil though. His heart's in the right place... despite him being part of the omerta.... but he's incompetent. The only upside is that it is getting comical. Last year I thought it was funny how T-M corrected them about Gerdemann's first name being pronounced "Leenus", not "Lye-nus"... so they apologized on TV... then proceeded to continue calling him "Lye-nus".

Idjots...
confused0058.gif

Grater said:

Evans is hyped because it's the first time in the tours history there's been an Australian favourite. And argue it as we may cycling as a sport in competition terms has a rather small public following compared to sports such as AFL Cricket etc. If the media started going on about Valverde or kirchen and the likes people alot of people would have no idea who there talking about. And it is clear that the media themselves have no concept of the tour, how it's raced tactics etc.

As for Phill Ligget I agree, his commentating is getting sloppy, it almost seems as if he's realised the tour starts in a couple of weeks and thought **** I better learn riders names etc. He seems un prepared

Ashley.S.Olsen said:
phil anderson was favorite in 1983. he was australian.
Favorite ahead of Pascal Simon, Van Impe and Fignon? Not arguing... just curious.

edit - I see Hinault didn't start due to injury.

Hinault didn't ride in 83 because he was injured, and yes, Anderson was one of the favourites that year.

Fignon was almost unknown in 83. A day in the pink jersey in the Giro, a stage in the Vuelta and that was about it. Don't forget he was only 22-23yo when he won his first tour

classic1 said:
Hinault didn't ride in 83 because he was injured, and yes, Anderson was one of the favourites that year.

Fignon was almost unknown in 83. A day in the pink jersey in the Giro, a stage in the Vuelta and that was about it. Don't forget he was only 22-23yo when he won his first tour
He was on Hinault's team so it was understandable that he hadn't had a chance to shine until Hinault's injury... and he was only 22 like you say. (Hinault switched to a different team in 84 but Fignon won again - wiki)

I was trying to get a list of the big names and favorites for that year. I see that Anderson had won the white jersey in 82 and had held the Yellow Jersey for 9 days. He won the Amstel Gold that spring in 83, and had picked up a 2nd in the Tour de Romandie, and a third in the L-B-L.

I remember watching him on TV in the early 80's... but never knew he was the TdF race favorite in 83.

Crankyfeet said:
He was on Hinault's team so it was understandable that he hadn't had a chance to shine until Hinault's injury... and he was only 22 like you say. (Hinault switched to a different team in 84 but Fignon won again - wiki)

I was trying to get a list of the big names and favorites for that year. I see that Anderson had won the white jersey in 82 and had held the Yellow Jersey for 9 days. He won the Amstel Gold that spring in 83, and had picked up a 2nd in the Tour de Romandie, and a third in the L-B-L.

I remember watching him on TV in the early 80's... but never knew he was the TdF race favorite in 83.
he would have won in 83. he had to push pascal simon up the mountains. pascal had a broken collerbone. he was french and was in yellow. skippy had to push the french man up the hill.

Ashley.S.Olsen said:
he would have won in 83. he had to push pascal simon up the mountains. pascal had a broken collerbone. he was french and was in yellow. skippy had to push the french man up the hill.
So even though Simon was going to withdraw with a broken collarbone... Anderson still had to sacrifice his chances for Simon? Where were the other team mates?

I'm not arguing... I just find the story/account fascinating.

nah, I love Phil....in this age of over scrutiny of everything, its refreshing to hear a guy who loves the sport so much. I don't give a stuff if he farks up every second thing...love it...anyway, at 2am I can use the laugh!

Scotttri said:
Evans is hyped because it's the first time in the tours history there's been an Australian favourite. And argue it as we may cycling as a sport in competition terms has a rather small public following compared to sports such as AFL Cricket etc. If the media started going on about Valverde or kirchen and the likes people alot of people would have no idea who there talking about. And it is clear that the media themselves have no concept of the tour, how it's raced tactics etc.

As for Phill Ligget I agree, his commentating is getting sloppy, it almost seems as if he's realised the tour starts in a couple of weeks and thought **** I better learn riders names etc. He seems un prepared
Well even if it isn't the first time an Australian is the favourite....and thats if!!
It's still the first in recent times, and the sport is growing....even though not a huge sport in Australia, so why wouldnt the media talk it up, I mean **** over here in WA if an Eagles or Dockers player so much as farts it makes front page of the paper.

Crankyfeet said:
So even though Simon was going to withdraw with a broken collarbone... Anderson still had to sacrifice his chances for Simon? Where were the other team mates?

I'm not arguing... I just find the story/account fascinating.
there is a documentary made by an australian on the topic. phil tells the entire story. he doesnt hold back because he knows no one can understand English in the team other than peiper. yes they knew pascal was going to pull out. this was in the day when a french yellow shirt wearer for a few days was better than an australian tour winner. they sold many peugeot 504s that year. thats a car.

Ashley.S.Olsen said:
there is a documentary made by an australian on the topic. phil tells the entire story. he doesnt hold back because he knows no one can understand English in the team other than peiper. yes they knew pascal was going to pull out. this was in the day when a french yellow shirt wearer for a few days was better than an australian tour winner. they sold many peugeot 504s that year. thats a car.
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/resources/videos/video/PRD_29765_2632crx.aspx

Hitchy said:
nah, I love Phil....in this age of over scrutiny of everything, its refreshing to hear a guy who loves the sport so much. I don't give a stuff if he farks up every second thing...love it...anyway, at 2am I can use the laugh!
I agree...he's like a favorite old uncle that's gettin a little ditzy...though I have to say he does seem pretty confused this go 'round. As am I...I haven't had much time to follow things except for in bits and pieces, and he's got me even more mixed up. :rolleyes: (that and both american teams wearing the same damn colors)

It's hard to dislike the guy (except when he's making BS statements about the extent of doping)... He's like the patron voice of cycling.

Today I had to laugh when Efimkin broke off the front early on the climb and Phil was like... "I think we have the winner there... they won't catch him" and you had to chuckle. Maybe his job is to keep letting the fringe viewer think that the break is going to succeed to build up more suspense. He's always forecasting.... "I don't think they're going to catch him/them this time".... when they nearly always do. But it's not a problem. Maybe breaks used to succeed a lot more in the past.

Crankyfeet said:
It's hard to dislike the guy (except when he's making BS statements about the extent of doping)... He's like the patron voice of cycling.

Today I had to laugh when Efimkin broke off the front early on the climb and Phil was like... "I think we have the winner there... they won't catch him" and you had to chuckle. Maybe his job is to keep letting the fringe viewer think that the break is going to succeed to build up more suspense. He's always forecasting.... "I don't think they're going to catch him/them this time".... when they nearly always do.
Such a commentary will annoy the sh!t out of me. I'm so glad that I don't have to listen to such junk here.

Grater said:

Its no differant to what the Belgians do with Stijn Devolder in the media or any flemish rider thats on camera for that matter. Or what the Dutch coverage do with any Rabobank rider. Ok their general cycling coverage and knowledge is better than the aussie media but really, its not so differant.

The Dutch actually do a run down of all their country men each stage, even when on a flat stage, when they finish on the same time but yet are placed 160th or something.

Grater said:

I hope he wins and you will Shut the **** up already!