Time for physiological adaptations

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Eric Lambi, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Eric Lambi

    Eric Lambi Guest

    Hello rec.bicycles.racing,

    I have read in several places that it takes 7+ days for the
    physiological adaptations from a hard training session to
    manifest themselves. I was curious if those with an exercise
    physiology background could verify that this is the case? I
    presume it is actually different for each individual, but am
    curious if there is any basis in fact for this 7+ day claim.

    Thanks,

    Eric Lambi eric.lambi_AT_lmscae.com (replace _AT_ with @)

    Tags:

  2. Eric Lambi wrote:

    > Hello rec.bicycles.racing,
    >
    > I have read in several places that it takes 7+ days for
    > the physiological adaptations from a hard training session
    > to manifest themselves. I was curious if those with an
    > exercise physiology background could verify that this is
    > the case? I presume it is actually different for each
    > individual, but am curious if there is any basis in fact
    > for this 7+ day claim.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eric Lambi eric.lambi_AT_lmscae.com (replace _AT_ with @)

    I have no exercise physiology background, per se.
    But there are several processes going on during a
    hard training session, and it seems simplistic to
    think they all go on during a fixed schedule. For
    instance, there is doubtless some tissue damage
    during a hard training schedule. The amount of
    damage, it seems to me, would depend upon many
    variable of the training session, such as duration
    and relative degree of aerobic/anaerobic activity.
    High resistance training would seem to have a
    greater risk of muscle damage which would go on for
    some time. Anabolic processes go on too, though I
    wouldn't assume that muscle hypertrophy of different
    muscles procedes at the same pace. There are changes
    going on in the oxygen-carrying capacity of the
    blood going on. I would also guess that the rate of
    this adaptation could be altered by nutritional
    status, rest, massage, and all kinds of
    imponderables. Now, maybe someone who knows what
    they're talking about will comment. ;-)

    Steve

  3. J999w

    J999w Guest

    I would think it depends upon what you're asking the body
    to change. Build new muscle? new mitochondria? Learn new
    motor paths to fire muscles? Sequester fluids to increase
    plasma volume?

    A week? Yeah ... sounds good to me!

    jw milwaukee (Lots of ex phys classes while in nursing
    school, now ICU RN).