Time for Ullrich to come out fighting

foxvi

Aug 23, 2004
I think it is time for Jan Ullrich and his legal team to come out fighting as the past few days have been very confusing even for this case. Basso and others are free to race but the JU media hounding continues with help from the Swiss Federation, UCI and some of the german media and Franke (and I am sure TMobile are behind this as well). I think he needs to get on German or Swiss TV and give an interview to give him the opportunity to establish exactly what is happening and ask publically, what are the Swiss Federation saying - are they opening a case or is the case not opening and is he free to apply for a licence? If they are opening a case on what evidence, as we all know the Spanish papers are not admissible in any investigation at the moment and when will it happen. What is happening with the fraud case from Bonn and when will they have any firm conclusions?

So far nothing has been proved from the endless media stories, and there are no positive doping tests. I think he has a right to ask these questions so he can get on with his life, start training again and get himself a team for next year.

foxvi said:
I think it is time for Jan Ullrich and his legal team to come out fighting as the past few days have been very confusing even for this case. Basso and others are free to race but the JU media hounding continues with help from the Swiss Federation, UCI and some of the german media and Franke (and I am sure TMobile are behind this as well). I think he needs to get on German or Swiss TV and give an interview to give him the opportunity to establish exactly what is happening and ask publically, what are the Swiss Federation saying - are they opening a case or is the case not opening and is he free to apply for a licence? If they are opening a case on what evidence, as we all know the Spanish papers are not admissible in any investigation at the moment and when will it happen. What is happening with the fraud case from Bonn and when will they have any firm conclusions?

So far nothing has been proved from the endless media stories, and there are no positive doping tests. I think he has a right to ask these questions so he can get on with his life, start training again and get himself a team for next year.
It will be a big loss for cycling if those riders will come back. There is circumstantial evidence against them. Why to contact dope doctor? It is clear they have done it. These are the facts that come from investigation by legal authorities. However, it is had to disqualify them because of procedure but it will be a loss to cycling anyway.

guncha said:
It will be a big loss for cycling if those riders will come back. There is circumstantial evidence against them. Why to contact dope doctor? It is clear they have done it. These are the facts that come from investigation by legal authorities. However, it is had to disqualify them because of procedure but it will be a loss to cycling anyway.

Damn,I hope if I am ever accused of a crime and you are not on the jury. You would give me the death penalty for speeding.

guncha said:

So in your opinion citcumstantial evidence is equal to guilty. Which part of the world do you come from again?

tomkay said:
So in your opinion citcumstantial evidence is equal to guilty. Which part of the world do you come from again?
I am not a lawyer but I don't believe they will be disqualified. The question I raised was how to prove a guilt of someone that hasn't been tested positive (current testing methods in ineffective) but it is clear that he has cooperated with a dope doctor.

It will harm cycling if they will continue to race. I would even support announcements of the race organizers that teams with OP riders in start list won't be allowed to participate. In this case teams would think whether it is appropriate to sign an agreement with OP riders.

I am highly interested in DNA analysis.

IMO, there has been no evidence at all ,just rumor and that is not enough as anyone can start a rumor.

jhuskey said:
Damn,I hope if I am ever accused of a crime and you are not on the jury. You would give me the death penalty for speeding.
A good reason to abolish the death penalty.:rolleyes:

guncha said:
I am not a lawyer but I don't believe they will be disqualified. The question I raised was how to prove a guilt of someone that hasn't been tested positive (current testing methods in ineffective) but it is clear that he has cooperated with a dope doctor.

It will harm cycling if they will continue to race. I would even support announcements of the race organizers that teams with OP riders in start list won't be allowed to participate. In this case teams would think whether it is appropriate to sign an agreement with OP riders.

I am highly interested in DNA analysis.
Can I ask how, as you say 'it is clear that he has cooperated with a dope doctor,? Look forward to your answer.

But back to my main point, and I have spent the whole afternoon thinking about this and how sad is that - its not my problem. But I am so mad at the treatment JU is having to take and I do think he and his team need to take on the UCI, media etc publically now as I think if they dont this will just rumble on as they want it to.

The statement on Jan's website (Saturday) was pretty clear. Rudy Pevenage will appear in a German Talkshow (TV) on October 30. Things are starting to move...(slowly but..)

foxvi said:

cyclingheroes said:
The statement on Jan's website (Saturday) was pretty clear. Rudy Pevenage will appear in a German Talkshow (TV) on October 30. Things are starting to move...(slowly but..)
I agree the statement on JU's website is clear and I do feel some of the german press (and one english journo in cyclingnews weekly) are starting to questioning the farce that JU finds himself in - its just how to get out of it. And are we sure Rudy is the right guy to put forward?

Maybe Jan is waiting to see 2007 Tour de France route. And then, if it's worth to bother (if he think's it's good for him), he'll try to clear his name, if not - he'll maybe retire.
Just another one siily possibility.

foxvi said:
And are we sure Rudy is the right guy to put forward?
hmm no... not sure, we will have to wait and see what he has to say...

@andrija: even if he retires he will want to clear his name.

cyclingheroes said:
Off course.
Just thinking of time when he'll start and how intensive his defence will be.

cyclingheroes said:

Even if he doesn't race he still wants to be in the cycling industry and needs a good name.
If he retires it will only be from racing ,not cycling.

guncha said:

I agree completely. It will certainly be a tremendous loss for cycling when the Operation Puerto riders start to race again. I understand from a procedural point of view why it may not be possible to ban these riders, but the circumstantial evidence seems initially compelling. Fans tolerance for the bad behavior of their heroes saddens me. We need to clean up our sport -- not excuse the ones we like just because we like them.

For me, the truly sad thing about the OP affair is the contempt with which the implicated riders feel free to treat their fans. Basso and Ullrich have not bothered now and will most likely not choose to explain how Dr. Fuentes was involved in their training and possibly doping. They have not spoken out against doping. They have not volunteered DNA tests to prove their innocence. They have not called for stricter controls.

Cycling is sport, not a court of law. I'm a law student and I'm certainly sympathetic to everyone throwing about ideas about presumption of innocence. But these legal concepts apply to court rooms, not to climbs in the Alps. Cheaters are winning in cycling and honest riders are losing. About this there can be no doubt. The culture of doping is so ingrained into the culture of professional cycling that riders no longer feel a need to deal with serious accusations in a forthright and honest manner. Instead they denigrate the officials and technicians who try to keep the sport clean.

It's not how it should be and we as fans shouldn' let them do it.

cyclingheroes said:

I guess if it is anyone and not JU himself, which I would think would be best, Rudy is the next best option. Confident as well I guess considering the media link over the alleged SMS to the 'doctor' at the Giro.

I know you german tv watchers will let us know how it goes!

foxvi said:
I guess if it is anyone and not JU himself, which I would think would be best, Rudy is the next best option. Confident as well I guess considering the media link over the alleged SMS to the 'doctor' at the Giro.

I know you german tv watchers will let us know how it goes!
Yes i will, i hope i will be at home so i can save it on my hard disk.

Another intresting point is that the CPA (riders organisation) is demanding to get rid of the code of conduct (or.. conduit).

Their president (Moser) said in the Gazzetta dello Sport (Sunday's print edition) that he thinks the best thing to do is get new elections at the UCI....

cyclingheroes said:
Yes i will, i hope i will be at home so i can save it on my hard disk.

Another intresting point is that the CPA (riders organisation) is demanding to get rid of the code of conduct (or.. conduit).

Their president (Moser) said in the Gazzetta dello Sport (Sunday's print edition) that he thinks the best thing to do is get new elections at the UCI....
Could not agree more with Moser on UCI elections!!

Off topic : CH - I have just voted on Welt.de !

foxvi said:
Could not agree more with Moser on UCI elections!!

Off topic : CH - I have just voted on Welt.de !
Off topic:

welt.de:

Wer ist Ihrer Meinung nach der größte deutsche Sportler der vergangenen 15 Jahre?

poll_score.gif
17.1 % Boris Becker
poll_score.gif
2.6 % Sven Hannawald
poll_score.gif
1.6 % Henry Maske
poll_score.gif
7.6 % Dirk Nowitzki
poll_score.gif
51.3 % Michael Schumacher
poll_score.gif
19.7 % Jan Ullrich

cyclingheroes said:
Off topic:

welt.de:

Wer ist Ihrer Meinung nach der größte deutsche Sportler der vergangenen 15 Jahre?

poll_score.gif
17.1 % Boris Becker
poll_score.gif
2.6 % Sven Hannawald
poll_score.gif
1.6 % Henry Maske
poll_score.gif
7.6 % Dirk Nowitzki
poll_score.gif
51.3 % Michael Schumacher
poll_score.gif
19.7 % Jan Ullrich
I feeling a bit 'fiesty' today! About on hour ago Ulle was at 7% and Ulle fans have been voting in their droves..... dont you just love this internet world.

Ulle fans vote on welt.de - lets catch Schumi!!