Time Impact S Frustrations

yetiboy99

Aug 28, 2004
Hello All,

I'm a long time mountain biker that has raced both Cross Country and Downhill on occasion. I finally made a leap to the road biking scene here recently and I'm really enjoying it. I built up a Cinelli Unica with an Ultegra gruppo and the bike is fantastic, with the exception of the Time Impact S pedals I purchased used (very low miles on them though). I have used the Time ATAC mt bike pedals over the past five years and I absolutely love them. I assumed I would have the same experience with the Time road pedals...I was VERY wrong. Is it just me or are these one of the harder pedals on the market to engage consistently? I figured after my first ride with them that I just had to get use to them, but after five rides I still was having issues engaging these pedals. I finally threw in the towel today and picked up a set of '04 Shimano Ultegra pedals. While I haven't ridden with them yet, they already feel MUCH better than the Times as far as engagement goes when I tested them out just now.

Bottom line question in all of this...Have others experienced the same frustrations with the Time Impact line of pedals or is my particular case just unusual?

yetiboy99 said:
Bottom line question in all of this...Have others experienced the same frustrations with the Time Impact line of pedals or is my particular case just unusual?

Absolutely! You made the right decision by going to the Shimanos. I can't remember the last time I saw a roadie with Time pedals -- now you know why.

I have Time Impact S Pedals on my Specialized Roubaix Pro. I've never had a problem clipping in or out - very positive engagement, just press down and "click" your in.

I found them moderately difficult to click into, but that is not why I replaced them with Speedplays.

yetiboy99 said:

Yup. Difficult to clip in with left foot. Then when the float is set so that my left foot is in a comfortable position, too easy to clip out. Replaced with Chorus ProFit Plus. Problem solved. Mine will be joining yours on eBay soon. :(

Triodelover said:
Yup. Difficult to clip in with left foot. Then when the float is set so that my left foot is in a comfortable position, too easy to clip out. Replaced with Chorus ProFit Plus. Problem solved. Mine will be joining yours on eBay soon. :(
Yup. Terrible pedal.

Triodelover said:
Easy now. I gotta find somebody to take the freakin' things off my hands. ;)
Don't worry -- there are millions of eBay buyers who have never even heard of this forum. They'll buy 'em and love 'em just they got a good deal!

I've had few problems with my Time Impact S pedals. They were difficult to clip into for the first ride or two, so I set them at maximum tension/minimum float, snapped the shoes in, and left them for a few days. After backing off the tension, the problem was solved.

I also had great luck with my Time ATAC's and bought the Impacts due to brand loyalty. After fighting with Shimano SPD-R's for a season and a half, I didn't feel like giving Shimano another chance. The Time pedals were a drastic improvement.