Time Impact S pedals v Speedplay

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by BomoSammo, Jun 3, 2005.

1. BomoSammo

BomoSammo New Member

Hi All,

I moved from SPDR's (difficult to get into) to Time Impact S pedals - largely because my LBS had a good deal on them.
    Since then I have been very happy and wouldn't be looking to change them - in fact they are now on all three of my bikes (roadie, mtb, commuter/winter hack).
    My question is . . . everyone on here seems to talk up Speedplay so much that I am curious what the major differences/advantages they have.
    Anyone on here ridden both?
    Not looking to change, the amount and level that I ride wouldn't warrant the expense, just curious.

Tags:

2. Wurm

Wurm New Member

I think most people like them mainly because SP's are lighter than many. Then they say the extra float is good, but of course if they want SP's then they have no choice but to get used to it.

3. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

SP are light, but that is canceled out by the weight you carry on your shoe. I have never used them but really like the double sided entry... for cons my girlfreind uses them, and she seems to have a lot of trouble getting them to fully engage if the cleats are not lubricated regularly (it is very frustrating to me on the tandem while she is trying to clip in for 5 minutes:mad: ).

4. dhk

dhk New Member

SP cleats aren't that heavy. Believe the Zero cleats I use (4 hole) are 70 grams. Plus 206 grams for the pedals, and you're still very light.

I like using the SP a lot vs my old Look, but have a couple of minor issues with them.

First, for smooth clip-in, the mounting base on the shoe needs to be flat, so that when the screws are tightened down (carefully) the cleat doesn't warp and cause the c-clip to stick. Also, have to keep the cleats clean....they are sensitive to dirt and grit, and take time to clean once they are fouled with a misstep. I carry the Coffee Shop Covers, but don't always use them.

Second, they require re-lube with grease every 1000-2000 miles. I contacted tech support when mine developed some axial play, and they the confirmed grease is needed. It's easy enough to inject in the end port with a syringe, but I prefer maintenance-free pedals.