Time, intensity or distance

Fooz

May 5, 2003
Hi Guys

A quick question that's had me wondering...

What's more benificial during the week. 3 x 40km sessions on a KingCycle type device (ie structured wattage based workout), or 3 longer rides on the road?

Weekends are the usual 2 x 4-5hr riding sessions, so this doesn't apply.

I'm just interested since I seem to train less hours than some co-workers I race against (almost all done in the week on a KingCycle type unit), they do more mileage then me, and I'm still able to beat them (and I'm about 20kg's heavier...though just 16% bodyfat)

Just curious :)

Fooz:

As you can see, intensity is really more important than just logging mile after mile.

You could ride 200 miles a day at a slow/moderate pace, but you would never be able to ride 28 mph once for 10 miles.

On the other hand if all you do is high intensity, you might have endurance problems later in longer races. Most amateurs don't have this problem since most races are relatively short.

Endurance needs to be trained only once or twice a week at the most for most riders. The endurance you have can be maintained by riding long once every two weeks or so.

Power/speed is hard to get. It takes a long time, far longer than endurance requires.

Sounds like you have a good program, beating other with less time. Good job!!!