Time lapse dropology

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by TonyMelton, May 10, 2004.

  1. TonyMelton

    TonyMelton Guest

    Here's two kinda cool sequences of me doing drops in 'time lapse
    photography' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album128). One is a 1.2m
    drop and the other is a 1.7m drop. They're in the style of skate/BMX
    magazine trick sequences. Check them out!

    --Tony

    --
    TonyMelton - Up, up and awaaaay!

    See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

  2. mango

    mango Guest

    Thats awesome! Jeez that 1.7 was huge! both were huge! What a good
    idea.

    So how exactly did you take the pictures? Are they screen shots of a
    video or a nifty camera thing?

    --
    mango - unity - as 1 stand together

    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv16

    "...I speculated that if we all got to know each other, one lawn mower
    would be enough for any neighborhood." -Keith Cash
    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  3. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    Nice Tony!

    I did that once using the burst shot on my Digicam. The results were
    similar, but the drop was only about 1 meter. It looks cool with the
    slideshow feature in the gallery:
    http://tinyurl.com/22b4q

    Cheers,
    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino
    Sig count: 2

  4. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    UniBrier got some similar shots of g3orge, Harper, and I jumping off a
    pedestal at St. Edward State Park last month. Here's the gallery with
    the pictures: 'A bunch of failures'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albux48). We had a bunch of unicycle
    failures that day and that's the reason for the title.

    It's neat to see drops in a series of stop action photos. I'm going to
    make sure that my next digital camera can do a high fps burst of photos
    like that.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  5. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *UniBrier got some similar shots of g3orge, Harper, and I jumping off
    > a pedestal at St. Edward State Park last month. *

    So did I, although John's a purist so might have discounted them because
    one is out of sequence. They are here:
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albux49

    I like the series of John because it has both the setup, airshot, and
    compression. On the series of Harper I got too much of the setup, only
    one in the air, and none of the landing. My camera is fine...it was all
    Harper's fault for cowering on the pedestal afraid to jump. Someone
    finally pelted him from behind with a filbert, which got him into the
    air.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  6. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *I'm going to make sure that my next digital camera can do a high fps
    > burst of photos like that. *

    The Casio EX-P600 has three different burst modes. The fast one does six
    shots in about two seconds at full resolution. The second one is
    continuous, somewhere in the 1.5 per second range for as long as you
    want.

    Then there's the super-burst mode, or whatever you want to call it. This
    takes 25 pictures onto a single frame at 1600 x 1200. It does them all
    in about 2 seconds. So the resolution is pretty low, but the speed is
    super fast.

    So far I am digging the camera very much. The main advantages over our
    QV-4000s:
    - Tons faster: startup and shutdown in about 2 seconds
    - Smaller & lighter
    - Big LCD, visible in the daytime!
    - Quicker access to most major controls
    - Battery lasts a couple of days
    - Crazy bracketing options
    - super-fast playback

    It does feel a little fragile compared to the QV-4000, and my external
    flash plug managed to unthread itself from its mount. Hope I don't have
    to open the camera to fix that. But I'm very much not regretting paying
    a premium for a tiny camera that's very fast and versatile!

    Read more about the camera:
    http://tinyurl.com/2to4z

    See a sample of the super-burst mode below. I've cut it down to half the
    original size and compressed it. That's my nephew Austin, trying to keep
    up with a different face for each shot.

    | Attachment filename: 25austinfaces.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/209447|

    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
    because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

  7. TonyMelton

    TonyMelton Guest

    Yes, those sequences were done with burst mode. Other than that I don't
    know what the fps rate was or how the camera was set up, as it wasn't my
    camera.

    The 1.7m drop is probably one of the biggest drops I've done to flat.
    It's almost my height (1.75m)!

    Jagur - the Miyata bearing holders are OK in the setup I have - they've
    been drilled out to accept a Profile axle and feel very solid. They were
    not so good in their previous incarnation paired up with a Suzue hub.
    They would slip side to side off the bearings, so I'd periodically
    lock-tite the bearings into their holders. Not very satisfactory for
    trials.

    --tony