TIME pedals

Fletch1

Jul 26, 2004
For those using TIME pedals, how do you like them vs LOOK style?

Do you use TIME shoes as well or do you use the adapter and another brand of shoe?

I always had LOOK but my new ride has TIME.

Fletch1 said:

Do you use TIME shoes as well or do you use the adapter and another brand of shoe?

Does it have Time Impact (the newer style pedals that use a three hole cleat) or the old style Time Equipe pedals? I have used both and liked them a lot. I far prefer the new Time Impact system, as it allows for a good deal of adjustability in many ways (float, lateral float and the amount of re-centering tension). More adjustment than Look offers at a more reasonable price.

When I used the old style Time pedals, I did have a pair of Time shoes to use with them. I found that other shoe manufacturers required adapters and all kinds of things to use 4 bolt cleats. Now, I use Sidi G4 shoes with the Impact pedals and it all works great! Hope this helps.

Jeff

Fletch1 said:

Yuck. I switched from Look to Time Impact Mag for a few days (did so for the lower stack height). Big mistake. The Time pedals have neat technology and look supercool. But while they have float, they don't allow you to mount the cleat at any angle. So... since I toe out just a bit, especially on one side, I was always using the float, which put a small amount of tension on my knee. The result was aching knees. I swapped back and was fine shortly thereafter. Plus, they are a bit hard to get into.

I would never recommend them to anyone who doesn't mount their cleats arrow-straight on their shoes.

Fletch1 said:

I looked at SPD-SL, Time and Look. The SPD-SL worked well, far better than the SPD-R **** did, but I've read some reviews that said the cleats wear out quickly. The Look's seemed the easiest to clip into, but also had a large stack height. The Time's had a low stack height and were much easier to clip into than the SPD-R's I had been using for the previous year or so.

Since the Time ATAC pedals on my mountain ride we're one of my better choices, I decided to let brand loyalty be my tie-breaker and bought the Impact S. With the adapter, they fit my AXO Pursuit shoes very well. Shimano might've gotten the nod if I hadn't fought with clipping into the SPD-R's so much.

I've been using them for about six months total and I'm thus far very happy with them. However, out of the box they seemed pretty tight. After a week, I cranked the tension up to the max and left the shoes clipped in for a couple of days. That loosened them up just enough.

my advice is chnage the pedals ASAP
time is really bad..
i have had bad experiences clipping out...
too much float for climbing....and the pop out..
yuck !
look is aight..
but speedplay is lighter and easier

I've always used Times and have never had a problem. Rode Looks for about six months, then switched back to Time. For me, the Looks always seem to develop a small amount of play fore and aft in the attachment with the pedal, so that each pedal revolution gives a clicking sound as the cleat slides back and forth.

Don't buy a pedal (or a saddle) based on weight, unless you're going to be racing up Alpine passes on a daily basis. Besides, the new Time pedals are as light as any other platform-type pedal out there.