Time RXE Pedals and Shoes

KikyoMerc

Mar 31, 2005
I am building a bike soon, and have a couple questions. This is just one of those. Anyway, I am trying to decide on pedals. I am wondering what people think of RXEs. I am also looking for some cheaper road shoes. Can I get some reccomendations for shoes too.
Thanks,
Kikyo

KikyoMerc said:
I am building a bike soon, and have a couple questions. This is just one of those. Anyway, I am trying to decide on pedals. I am wondering what people think of RXEs. I am also looking for some cheaper road shoes. Can I get some reccomendations for shoes too.
Thanks,
Kikyo

I've got the RXE as well as the RXS. IMO the RXE is a better value, the ability to adjust the float feel just isn't worth the extra $50.

I like the pedals, no problems. The cleats are kind of bulky because they have large anti slip pads on the bottom so when you walk around your heel will be even lower than the ball of your foot compared to say an SPD cleat or even a look cleat.

aebike.com has a great price on the RXE pedal by the way... $64.99 last time I looked.

Replacement cleats ain't cheap though $30. I can't say whether the cleats are durable I haven't had mine long enough.

Mr_Potatohead said:
I've got the RXE as well as the RXS. IMO the RXE is a better value, the ability to adjust the float feel just isn't worth the extra $50.

I like the pedals, no problems. The cleats are kind of bulky because they have large anti slip pads on the bottom so when you walk around your heel will be even lower than the ball of your foot compared to say an SPD cleat or even a look cleat.

aebike.com has a great price on the RXE pedal by the way... $64.99 last time I looked.

Replacement cleats ain't cheap though $30. I can't say whether the cleats are durable I haven't had mine long enough.
Thought you might not be aware of the October 2006 product recall on both RXE's and RXS's.......

OldGoat said:
Thought you might not be aware of the October 2006 product recall on both RXE's and RXS's.......

Yeah, I was going to mention this. I would suspect that the ones being sold new have had the problem corrected? At issue was the cap holding the pedal body to the axle unscrewing, resulting in the body coming off. Solution was to send the pedals in to have a loctite-like compound applied to the threads. Repaired or updated pedals have a small red or gold dot on the body.

I have two pairs of RXEs, one with ca. 6000 mi and the other with 1000 mi and they have been fine. Haven't gotten around to sending mine in for the recall yet.

I have a set of RXE's, and I consider them the best value in a pedal today in terms of dollars-per-gram (mine weighed 258 grams/pr. + 50g each cleat including the bolts), the size of the platform (I don't get hot spots like I did with Campy pedals), low stack height, and overall function. The RX-series are the best road pedals TIME as ever made, IMHO.

Also nice to have is the in/out "Q" adjustment. Since I have wider feet and the inside of my shoes rub on the crankarms with the 'inside' setting, I have to mount the cleats to the 'outside' position on my FSA Team Pro Issue crankset. With different cranks perhaps I could set them to the 'inside' for 2.5mm narrower Q factor.

The standard float range is fine for me and I don't want for any adjustments there. YMMV.

I have had the left pedal work itself loose from the axle once, but I've tightened both pedals down and they've been OK. If they work loose again, I'll apply some Locktite.

The more expensive RXS and RXS Carbon are the same weight as the RXE, so unless you need the float adjustment, you don't gain an advantage with the higher-priced models.

You have to go to the RXS Carbon Ti to get 60 grams less weight. But for around $300./pr. they're not a great value.

The cafe' cleats have been durable, and are easier to walk on than other cleats I've used. I'm still on the original set after over 2 years now, but they are due for replacement soon.