Time RXS or Speedplay Zero pedals?

huskies91

Feb 4, 2007
I've been looking into pedals and have it narrowed down between the Time RXS and the Speedplay Zero. I like that both have rather large platforms and both are adaptable to my shoes. I'm relatively new to cycling and weigh about 210lbs. I'm looking for something that is relatively smooth and easy to use, some degree of float and a pedal/cleat system with a large platform. Any suggestions or recommendations either way. Any Why?

Thx

One vote for speedplay. Lots of float, pretty durable (avoid Titanium, obviously), super lightweight. I know one pair of RXSs that broke and fell off the spindle. Of course, that's an isolated event. Things I don't like about speedplays is that I think it's a super complex mechanism. It's hard to click in if you walk in the snow at all, the cleats are expensive.

Personally I use Looks.

huskies91 said:
I've been looking into pedals and have it narrowed down between the Time RXS and the Speedplay Zero. I like that both have rather large platforms and both are adaptable to my shoes. I'm relatively new to cycling and weigh about 210lbs. I'm looking for something that is relatively smooth and easy to use, some degree of float and a pedal/cleat system with a large platform. Any suggestions or recommendations either way. Any Why?

Thx

Speedplay Zero. 2 sided, completely rebuildable, big cleat platform, lots of cleat adjust, adjustable float, not expensive.

Peter@vecchios said:
Speedplay Zero. 2 sided, completely rebuildable, big cleat platform, lots of cleat adjust, adjustable float, not expensive.
+2 for Speedplay Zero. The mechanism is simple, with the only moving engagement part being the clip which is held in the cleat. Cleats are a bit pricey as a result, but since they have a metal bottom, they last much longer than the Look nylon ones I used for many years. In >16K miles, including some city/surburb starts and stops, I'm only on my second set of cleats.

Never walked in snow with them, but getting mud or sand in the cleats can also cause the clip to stick, making engagement/release difficult or impossible. Fortunately, the easy fix is to carry and use the "Coffee Shop Covers".

The bearings must be tiny, but holding up well. Factory says to lube the bearings every 1-2K miles, which is a 5 minute job with a mini grease gun.

A vote for the RXS here. Simple, rugged, bulletproof, don't squeak, cleats are fairly cheap to replace, easy and safe to walk on (for a road system), never seem to need lubrication or maintenance, don't care about a bit of dirt or sand in them, really solid clip-in, float has some resistance (none of that walking on ice-cubes feeling). They are single-sided (as opposed to the Speedplays) but the pedal hangs right for clip-in the next time around, so that's not much of a disadavantage.

Downside is they can be a bit of a pain to get into. I'd say one time in five it takes me a second go to get clipped in.

i also say avoid a ti spindle, but esp with the time's, there has been issues with small guys breaking the spindles.

IEatRice4Dinner said:
i also say avoid a ti spindle, but esp with the time's, there has been issues with small guys breaking the spindles.
Just an fyi... the Time pedals that were coming off the spindle were recalled. Not that mine broke but they still replaced my old ones (2 pairs each with well over 2,000 km on them) with brand new ones. As far as I know, there aren't any problems with the Time pedals breaking that were not part of the recall.

For any out there that use Time and want to be sure they're not riding recalled pedals, here's the info...

http://www.timesportusa.com/rxsrecall/poster/poster.pdf

Having said that I still prefer the Time to the Speedplays. The RXE or RXS (composite not carbon) are dirt cheap and work great. But pedals are such a personal choice. If you can, see if you can try out both before buying.

scirocco said:
A vote for the RXS here. Simple, rugged, bulletproof, don't squeak, cleats are fairly cheap to replace, easy and safe to walk on (for a road system), never seem to need lubrication or maintenance, don't care about a bit of dirt or sand in them, really solid clip-in, float has some resistance (none of that walking on ice-cubes feeling). They are single-sided (as opposed to the Speedplays) but the pedal hangs right for clip-in the next time around, so that's not much of a disadavantage.

Downside is they can be a bit of a pain to get into. I'd say one time in five it takes me a second go to get clipped in.

For complete info on Speedplay. Only the 'X' series have that walking on ice feeling, since the pedal slides on the spring in the cleat. In the Zero series, the cleat and 'clip' in the cleat are attached and then the clip rotates in the cleat, w/o that 'not attached' feeling.

Peter@vecchios said:
For complete info on Speedplay. Only the 'X' series have that walking on ice feeling, since the pedal slides on the spring in the cleat. In the Zero series, the cleat and 'clip' in the cleat are attached and then the clip rotates in the cleat, w/o that 'not attached' feeling.
The X wire springs allow a bit of lateral movement which the Zeros don't, but the wide-range free rotation of either system is what gives the ice-cube feeling...at least it did for me. First time on the Zeros, I definitely had the "stepping on ice-cube" feeling. Took me a few rides to get used to it, and gain confidence that the cleat was really locked in. In fact, one reason I got the Zeros was to be able to adjust out the extreme free-float, as I was worried I'd never get used to the lack of spring-centering float.

+1 Speedplay Zero, all of the above plus high turning clearance, 4 years of use for training and racing and never got a unintentional release

alienator said:
Speedplays. X series or Zeros.

Absolutely, let Levi ride, just not with Contador. ASO is NEVER going to take a chance on having a third TdF end in the mess of the last 2. Bruyneal doesn't help either.

dhk2 said:
The X wire springs allow a bit of lateral movement which the Zeros don't, but the wide-range free rotation of either system is what gives the ice-cube feeling...at least it did for me. First time on the Zeros, I definitely had the "stepping on ice-cube" feeling. Took me a few rides to get used to it, and gain confidence that the cleat was really locked in. In fact, one reason I got the Zeros was to be able to adjust out the extreme free-float, as I was worried I'd never get used to the lack of spring-centering float.

YMMV I guess. I changed from Campag Profit to Zeros and they seemed VERY similar in feeling to me. X series, to me, felt like I wasn't attached to them.

Peter@vecchios said:
Absolutely, let Levi ride, just not with Contador. ASO is NEVER going to take a chance on having a third TdF end in the mess of the last 2. Bruyneal doesn't help either.

Whatever. That's why the TdF is now a joke. Maybe you should forward your suspicions to ASO. I'm sure they'll toss someone out as a result. We certainly don't want to hobble any brainless purge with something like objectivity.

You have a bicycle shop. That's it. That doesn't mean you know **** about what some stranger--to you--has or has not done.

Whatever dude.

Try reasoned thought. It really helps.

I use X2s. I have problems with the screws falling out of the cleats after about 1k miles; luckily not all at one time. Probably just a problem with my single set. On road performance is impeccable though. I don't have any exprience with Time, but I wouldn't advise anyone to not get Speedplay.

alienator said:
Whatever. That's why the TdF is now a joke. Maybe you should forward your suspicions to ASO. I'm sure they'll toss someone out as a result. We certainly don't want to hobble any brainless purge with something like objectivity.

You have a bicycle shop. That's it. That doesn't mean you know **** about what some stranger--to you--has or has not done.

Whatever dude.

Try reasoned thought. It really helps.

So sorry to offend you with my opinion.

Peter@vecchios said:
So sorry to offend you with my opinion.

Your opinion isn't offensive, but your lack of critical thought is. You clearly can't be bothered to think objectively, what with the pathetic mental laziness you display. Completely pathetic. We can only hope that people judge you with the same lack of forethought that you do others.

sogood said:
I saw Peter plant the bait on this one.
This time, I'm not biting it. If someone else is willing to take it up, I will gladly lend moral support eating popcorn. ;)

TheDarkLord said:
This time, I'm not biting it. If someone else is willing to take it up, I will gladly lend moral support eating popcorn. ;)
Don't worry, Alienator has already taken it.