Time spent to travel

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> Or maybe they have been seduced by the Daily Mail into thinking that the
> proper place for the police is guarding the nation's video recorders, rather
> than woking to reduce the thousands of deaths caused every year by clueless
> drivers.

Odd how none gives a flying **** about the hundreds of thousands of
premature deaths caused in other ways.

friendly advice in a flame-free environment.

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> marko [email protected] opined the following...
> > Whoa; red light jumping is half the point of cycling - the ones that
> > get munched are the ones who stop on red, go on green, look straight
> > ahead of them when cycling. The ones that don't give a f**k what
> > colour the lights are or waht the road markings - but look around them
> > and proceed when things are clear - are the ones who don't...

> And where can we find you, so that you can get the thumping you truly
> deserve? That attitude to cycling is why those of us who still make good
> time by following the rules of the road take so much sh*t from drivers.

Absolutely.

Sarfampton this afternoon, coming in from Chilworth and Winchester Rd Rbt
towards the common. Narrow lanes. Fast traffic (40 limit). Cycle lane
(shared ped use, v. light ped traffic).

Three cyclists, two "ordinary" and one full works, bananas on head, spray-on
lycra, dressed like a clown.

Two were using the cycle track. One was not.

One overtook using the "fast" lane for opposing traffic at Burgess Rd
lights, cut across the waiting two rows of vehicles at the red light, and
then jumped the lights, pedalling furiously to avoid traffic which had just
got a green from his right.

In both cases the "one" was the lycra-clad lout - the "ordinary" cyclists
behaved themselves.

Guess which of the three is likely to be involved in an accident first? And
guess which of the three is likely to be most vociferous about other road
users?

[snip rest]

Ian

Steve Firth wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Or maybe they have been seduced by the Daily Mail into thinking that
>> the proper place for the police is guarding the nation's video
>> recorders, rather than woking to reduce the thousands of deaths
>> caused every year by clueless drivers.

> Odd how none gives a flying **** about the hundreds of thousands of
> premature deaths caused in other ways.

For example? Ones that can be avoided using practical measures?

Ian Henden wrote:

> In both cases the "one" was the lycra-clad lout - the "ordinary"
> cyclists behaved themselves.

> Guess which of the three is likely to be involved in an accident
> first? And guess which of the three is likely to be most vociferous
> about other road users?

Sweeping generalisation. I wear lycra shorts and a cycling jersey to ride my
daily 16 mile commute and would not consider riding it in anything else -- I
am extremely vociferous about dangerous road users, yet I always follow the
rules of the road.

I would not presume to pass judgements on other cyclists based on their
choice of clothing other than to point out that lycra and clothes designed
for cycling are far preferable to cotton for any journey of more than, say,
4 miles.

Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> And where can we find you, so that you can get the thumping you truly
> deserve?

Cambridge; you'll likely not run into me unless you're into cyclind
/really/ long distance eh? ;-)

> How are you supposed to argue the point of the ASL when the tw*t on a
> bike behind you rolls straight through the red?

> The same could be said (Without hopping out of the saddle) for drivers.
> After all, there's no real risk to them if they jump the odd red.

ASL?

And what harm would one be doing cycling alongside a line of
stationary traffic backed up all the way through a traffic-lighted
box-junction and not waiting a minute (of a 5 minute journey) to cycle
alongside stationary traffic when the light is green not red?

Nope, provided you're on the ball, filtering left on red (or straight
on on red if there's only a road joining from the right) is both a
good idea and adopted in some other countries. So illegal here on both
bike and in car but neither unsafe or foolhardy. Majority of UK
drivers are too innatentive or generally incompetent at the minute for
it to be legalised.

And no you can hardly hop out the car, walk across a zerba/pedestrain
crossing and continue your journey on the clear side, disagree with
you there.

> For the sake of the rest
> of us, please lock up your bike and lose the key!

Mow me down next time you're out? ;-)

> Agreed in places. Ride so that you are visible, overtake when possible
> in preference to undertaking. Signal (Guilty of not doing this one all
> the time). These are good things. Since I changed my riding style to a
> more assertive one, I've only had one driver beep me for being in the
> way. Most pull out further to overtake, and when they don't... I've
> still got room to move.

Aye.

I take it you're uk.rec.cycling then rather than uk.rec.cars.mods?

Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Steve Firth wrote:
> > Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Or maybe they have been seduced by the Daily Mail into thinking that
> >> the proper place for the police is guarding the nation's video
> >> recorders, rather than woking to reduce the thousands of deaths
> >> caused every year by clueless drivers.

> > Odd how none gives a flying **** about the hundreds of thousands of
> > premature deaths caused in other ways.

> For example? Ones that can be avoided using practical measures?

Banning fags should result in a net saving of human life between 10
times and hundred times the amount that could ever be saved by focussing
on driving.

friendly advice in a flame-free environment.

In news:[email protected],
marko <[email protected]> typed:
> Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> marko wrote:
>> And where can we find you, so that you can get the thumping you truly
>> deserve?

> Cambridge; you'll likely not run into me unless you're into cyclind
> /really/ long distance eh? ;-)

I believe Jon travels there occasionally :)

> ASL?

26/M/Walsall.

No, wait a minute, Advanced Stop Line. Where there's an extra bit at the
front at traffic lights for bikes to wait in and get away first.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ian Henden wrote:
>
> > In both cases the "one" was the lycra-clad lout - the "ordinary"
> > cyclists behaved themselves.

> > Guess which of the three is likely to be involved in an accident
> > first? And guess which of the three is likely to be most vociferous
> > about other road users?

> Sweeping generalisation.

Nothing generalised here, sweeping or otherwise. These were three
individuals seen (yesterday) and I'm talking about them in particular. It
was the one in Lycra who "misbehaved" throughout. It was the two "ordinary"
joe soaps on pushbikes who did not. That's specific. Not a generalisation.

Generally, they would all mostly "misbehave". *That* is a generalisation.

I wear lycra shorts and a cycling jersey to ride my
> daily 16 mile commute and would not consider riding it in anything else --

> am extremely vociferous about dangerous road users, yet I always follow

the
> rules of the road.

Glad to hear it.

> I would not presume to pass judgements on other cyclists based on their
> choice of clothing other than to point out that lycra and clothes designed
> for cycling are far preferable to cotton for any journey of more than,

say,
> 4 miles.

marko [email protected] opined the following...
> Cambridge; you'll likely not run into me unless you're into cyclind
> /really/ long distance eh? ;-)

Don't be so sure. My folks live 18miles from there!

> > How are you supposed to argue the point of the ASL when the tw*t on a
> > bike behind you rolls straight through the red?

> > The same could be said (Without hopping out of the saddle) for drivers.
> > After all, there's no real risk to them if they jump the odd red.

> ASL?

Advanced Stop Line. Forms a box with a picture of a bike in it at
junctions and allows cyclists to start from a position of high
visibility at junctions. I frequently find myself explaining this to
drivers who think that they are only valid when no bikes are present,
and it kind of spoils the case when another cyclist takes the
opportunity to jump the lights.

> And what harm would one be doing cycling alongside a line of
> stationary traffic backed up all the way through a traffic-lighted
> box-junction and not waiting a minute (of a 5 minute journey) to cycle
> alongside stationary traffic when the light is green not red?

Not totally sure that I understand the description, but... is your time
really so precious that you can't afford the minute at the lights. Use
it as an opportunity to take a drink, or get your breath back.

> Nope, provided you're on the ball, filtering left on red (or straight
> on on red if there's only a road joining from the right) is both a
> good idea and adopted in some other countries.

My experience of it, is that it makes junctions considerably less
predictable. If red no longer means stop, how do you tell drivers that a
pedestrian has right of way?

> So illegal here on both
> bike and in car but neither unsafe or foolhardy. Majority of UK
> drivers are too innatentive or generally incompetent at the minute for
> it to be legalised.

Both unsafe and foolhardy. While I'm sure that you pay the greatest
attention when jumping reds; since you don't have priority, if you are
hit, it is your fault. It doesn't really further the cause for those of
us who want to see bikes publically recognised as a legitimate form of
transport, and it promotes the idea amongst non-cyclists that cyclists
can't be trusted to follow the rules of the road, and thus deserve less
respect.

> And no you can hardly hop out the car, walk across a zerba/pedestrain
> crossing and continue your journey on the clear side, disagree with
> you there.

I did say "Without hopping out of the saddle", with the intention of not
including this example.

> > For the sake of the rest
> > of us, please lock up your bike and lose the key!

> Mow me down next time you're out? ;-)

I'll be on a bike, so just as likely to be injured as you. Put a stick
through your front wheel though! ;-)

> I take it you're uk.rec.cycling then rather than uk.rec.cars.mods?

Yup.

Jon

Steve Firth wrote:

> Simonb <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Steve Firth wrote:

>>>Odd how none gives a flying **** about the hundreds of thousands of
>>>premature deaths caused in other ways.

>>For example? Ones that can be avoided using practical measures?

> Banning fags should result in a net saving of human life between 10
> times and hundred times the amount that could ever be saved by focussing
> on driving.

But that's self-inflicted. And most people don't give a flying **** if
someone smokes/drinks/eats/drugs/videogames/diys themselves to death.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Steve Firth wrote:
>
>>> Except for the fact of the reduction in traffic plod being due to
>>> the absence of any meaningful traffic targets in the performance
>>> criteria by which the plod league tables are calculated, obv.

>> And the reason for that being of course that someone thinks the job
>> can be done by a camera.

> Or maybe they have been seduced by the Daily Mail into thinking that
> the proper place for the police is guarding the nation's video
> recorders,
> rather than woking to reduce the thousands of deaths
> caused every year by clueless drivers.

Excuse me ?

If they were actively working to reduce the thousands of deaths caused every
year by clueless drivers, then they would have MORE traffic police - not
less ! And they would be placing LESS reliance on cameras, not more !

Jon Senior wrote:
> My experience of it, is that it makes junctions considerably less
> predictable. If red no longer means stop, how do you tell drivers
> that a pedestrian has right of way?

Um, pedestrians ALWAYS have right-of-way :)

Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Don't be so sure. My folks live 18miles from there!

I'll keep an eye out for a (scotsman?) clad in lycra carrying a stick
and eyeing up front wheels suspiciously then! ;-)

> Advanced Stop Line. Forms a box with a picture of a bike in it

Ah yes, car parking spaces...

> Not totally sure that I understand the description

Entire road of cars parked at 9am, mixture of red and green lights
along the route, just cycle down the side of the row regardless of the
colour of the lights as they're not going to be going anywhere and
it'd be daft to keep stoppign when you're the onl thing moving?

> My experience of it, is that it makes junctions considerably less
> predictable. If red no longer means stop, how do you tell drivers that a
> pedestrian has right of way?

Say to drivers "pedestrians have right of way", then nick 'em if they
don't abide by it. Also nick 'em if they park in the ASL boxes and
nick the cyclists if they jump reds. We pay for cameras now though,
not traffic police, so it won't happen. They already think that zebra
crossing are guidelines here, so the way to go about things is to step
into the road and look 'em straight in the eye until they stop. (note:
this does not work for taxis/7.5t trucks/vans, different rules apply
there)

Junctions need not be preictable if you're filtering through on red
becasue you're either the only one there or the only one still moving
and everything else is parked. You seem to be assumign a busy junction
or filtering into moving traffic - no, jsut when its empty and the
light is pointless or when super-busy and nothing else can move.

My assumption is that people can/will go at any minute from any
direction, and working on that basis its not often wrong; or when it
is its wrong for the better. Don't the dutch have no signals or
markings of any description that mean just this - and that people have
to pay attention/think and have found a reduction in accidents
comapred to the UK traffic lights and lanes and this and that and
t'other?

> While I'm sure that you pay the greatest
> attention when jumping reds; since you don't have priority, if you are
> hit, it is your fault.

Aye; cars kill other people, bikes kill their riders (or very
occasionally a ped if you're being really stupid or they're being
really careless), seems fair to me. As I'll only go when its safe to
do so (ie - when the traffic is stationary or there is none), I don't
get hit. Quite simple...

> It doesn't really further the cause for those of
> us who want to see bikes publically recognised as a legitimate form of
> transport, and it promotes the idea amongst non-cyclists that cyclists
> can't be trusted to follow the rules of the road, and thus deserve less
> respect.

Equally, cars, trucks, buses, and especially taxis or white vans
deserve little respect - they're as bad for following rules of the
road aor attentiveness/care. The respect goes something along the
lines of "that's mroe likely to kill me than me him, therefore he gets
respect". Human nature is fundamentally self-centred, and its just
made worse when you put drivers into wheeled penis-extensions. Don't
think rules of the road come into th respect thign much myself.
(besides - rules of the road require traffic police not cameras...)

> Yup.

I'm just a car driver in disguise, prolly explains the differing
viewpoint!

In MsgID<1geeqw1.1jqmpsyhhbbdsN%%steve%@malloc.co.uk> within
uk.rec.driving, 'Steve Firth' wrote:

>Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Or maybe they have been seduced by the Daily Mail into thinking that the
>> proper place for the police is guarding the nation's video recorders, rather
>> than woking to reduce the thousands of deaths caused every year by clueless
>> drivers.

>Odd how none gives a flying **** about the hundreds of thousands of
>premature deaths caused in other ways.

Sling us some examples of other major ways?

--
Dave Johnson - [email protected]

"Nick Finnigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Sorry for still misunderstanding,

OK.

> What did you mean about junior school children?
>
> e.g. roughly how many cycling trips between home and
> junior school when aged 9, on average?

I didn't mean anything remotely like *that*. Even if the figures you
had given referred to junior school children, rather than 5-10 year
olds, I would not claim to be able to divine the number of cycling
trips between home and junior school when aged 9 from those figures
alone.

The figures are consistent with half the 9 year olds cycling to school
every day. They are also consistent with all the 9 year olds cycling
to school at least some of the time. They are also consistent with no
9 year old ever cycling to school.

In short, the figures you gave tell us precisely nothing about how
many junior school children cycled to school in 1975/76.

Jim.

"Jim Higgons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nick Finnigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Sorry for still misunderstanding,

> > What did you mean about junior school children?
> >
> > e.g. roughly how many cycling trips between home and
> > junior school when aged 9, on average?

> I didn't mean anything remotely like *that*.

But what did you mean?

"Jim Higgons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nick Finnigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Jim Higgons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > According to you, bridleways are roads, but are they included in the
> > > national road length figures?

> > Yes.
> > But not a great proportion of them.

> How many? Why are some included but not all?

I don't know.

> What about the footpaths?

A few of them too.

Cardinal Fang <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Banning fags should result in a net saving of human life between 10
> > times and hundred times the amount that could ever be saved by focussing
> > on driving.
> >

> But that's self-inflicted. And most people don't give a flying **** if
> someone smokes/drinks/eats/drugs/videogames/diys themselves to death.

So saving lives isn't the issue then? I'm glad to hear that. Can we stop
pretending that it ever was?

friendly advice in a flame-free environment.