TIME SPORT RXRS Ulteam FAILURE! No Warranty Support - Joke

Jason Hulme

Aug 2, 2012

HELP!

I bought a genuine RXRS Ulteam, which is not a cheap frame from PBK who stated that they were dealers of time and they ordered a specific frame in my size from Chicken Cycles, Time's official importer. They in turn ordered directly from Time. I had to wait but worth it.

Time has limited distribution in Australia and thier internation warranty was a big part of my reason for buying from Time. I registered the frame with Time directly and was told is was under warranty at the time.

All good right? Wrong!

The rear was flexing,, i initially put it down to the rear wheel, but it turns our it was the frame.

After only 6 months. the rear triangle collapsed! I was climbing and heard a loud pop! A few moments later the rear gave way.

I was not a happy man. But it was ok. The best warranty in the Business... Nope.

Time wants nothing to do with it. They will not honour the international warranty.

The LBS who is a Time AD agrees it was a frame failure. Time do not care!

The bike is in perfect condition and has never been crashed. It is very well treated and perfectly maintianed.

THIS IS A POOR SHOW FROM TIME!

I am thousands out of pocket, no bike, and with a young family i can not afford to replace it.

They should stand my thier products but it seems as though they are happy to take your money, but not happy to take responsibilty.

Any ideas would be very welcomed!

Jason

I think warranty only for retail store customers in original country. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Any ideas would be very welcomed!

1. An expensive solicitor/lawyer/barrister and bring suit in the Queen's Court or whatever you call it?

2. An assault rifle, several large magazines loaded with armor-piercing, incindiary ammunition and a ticket to Time's factory? (my personal favorite plan, BTW)

3. A cheap replacement carbon fiber frame from our Godless friends, the communist Red Chinese for under $500 that is actually better quality than anything ever manufactured in France (the land of the world's crappiest cars, for God's sake.) and it will likely have a warranty better than your Time has.

4. Whatever you buy as an eventual replacement...do NOT buy French and make certain you buy a frame with 2 or 3 more plys of carbon in the schedule/weight 200 grams more.

Good luck OP!

Oh...and send your pictures and story of the frame's failure to www.bustedcarbon.com

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

3. A cheap replacement carbon fiber frame from our Godless friends, the communist Red Chinese for under $500 that is actually better quality than anything ever manufactured in France (the land of the world's crappiest cars, for God's sake.) and it will likely have a warranty better than your Time has.
I tend to agree with this, some of the very high end italian frames we've imported over the years have been complete rubbish.

Jason Hulme said:
HELP! I bought a genuine RXRS Ulteam, which is not a cheap frame from PBK who stated that they were dealers of time and they ordered a specific frame in my size from Chicken Cycles, Time's official importer.  They in turn ordered directly from Time.  I had to wait but worth it. Time has limited distribution in Australia and thier internation warranty was a big part of my reason for buying from Time. I registered the frame with Time directly and was told is was under warranty at the time. All good right?  Wrong! The rear was flexing,, i initially put it down to the rear wheel, but it turns our it was the frame. After only 6 months. the rear triangle collapsed!  I was climbing and heard a loud pop!  A few moments later the rear gave way. I was not a happy man.  But it was ok.  The best warranty in the Business... Nope. Time wants nothing to do with it.  They will not honour the international warranty. The LBS who is a Time AD agrees it was a frame failure. Time do not care! The bike is in perfect condition and has never been crashed.  It is very well treated and perfectly maintianed. THIS IS A POOR SHOW FROM TIME! I am thousands out of pocket, no bike, and with a young family i can not afford to replace it. They should stand my thier products but it seems as though they are happy to take your money, but not happy to take responsibilty. Any ideas would be very welcomed! Jason
Time's a solid company that builds solid bikes. You need to work with the distributor in your country and with Time. The damage on your frame looks atypical, at least. Some skepticism of your story is warranted as JRA's are rarely just JRA.....and so far we only have your side of the story. Also it appears that there was an impact on the right chain stay which caused the roughly square depression/hole. What was Time's reason for not honoring the warranty?

steve said:
I tend to agree with this, some of the very high end italian frames we've imported over the years have been complete rubbish. 
Time's frames don't have a history of failure, and neither do Look's or Cyfac's. As for the "rubbish" Italian frames, name them so that everyone can learn from your experience.

Time's a solid company that builds solid bikes.

Uh...yeah. We can see that now. Those cracks clearly indicate 'solid' construction.

And Trek/Bontrager builds bomp-proof 'solid' forks.

And Citroen is a world-class company that builds awesome cars.

I suggest we go out and all buy Motobecanes. Oh wait...only the decal survives. But, it's a solid decal that's manufactured by a solid Asian company.

The OP's related experience with Time clearly indicate a 'solid' company that backs up their 'solid' products.

I'm glad we have companies that are still dedicated to keeping the 'myth' of exploding carbon fiber alive. Pictures forwarded to my lawyer for the lulz.

Also it appears that there was an impact on the right chain stay which caused the roughly square depression/hole.

Uh...yeah. Again.

I know!!! James Bond sneaked in a small thermo-nuclear device while the OP slept in his evil overlord lair and then detonated it BEHIND the chainrings that were in front of that failure site.

Clearly, the OP is a liar. And probably a thief. Worse, I can surmise from that "square hole" that he is a Democrat and voted for Obummer. From Canada AND Australia! Most telling is the fact that his screen name matches the decal on his 'solid' Time frameset. Gotta be some sort of scam, fo' sho'.

BTW, how's your un-stiff 585 holding up?

OP..if you like the 'LOOK' (get it?!?!) of your Time frameset, you can buy the 'who gives a damn about intellectual property rights, copy rights, patents, etc. Godless Red Chinese clone:

http://www.dhgate.com/time-rxrs-ulteam-black-label-carbon-module/p-ff80808136c95f270136e558a4414db5.html

For 1/6 the price of the wine & cheese original you can get a frame that lasts 6 times as long.

Seriously, I hope Time honors their lifetime warranty and gets you a new frameset.
I would like to visit this website selling cheap long lasting cf frames but my computers protection software tells me it is unwise and I do so at my own risk:
Use Caution - Possible Security Risk
http://www.dhgate.com/time-rxrs-ulteam-black-label-carbon-module/p-ff80808136c95f270136e558a4414db5.html
Use Caution on this site!
A Security Risk is associated with this Web Page that is likely to harm your computer or will record personal and corporate information. We strongly recommend that you press Cancel to stop this page from loading. Press Continue to proceed to the web site recognizing the risk of doing so.
McAfee Content Category: Consumer Protection
McAfee Security Rating: Yellow

OP, good luck sorting out your woes.

[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= #ff0000]McAfee [/COLOR]Content Category: Consumer Protection[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= #ff0000]McAfee [/COLOR]Security Rating: Yellow[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px]I think I've found your problem...[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px]Yeah...it's a site run by the Godless Red Chinese. I have no doubt the People's Liberation Army would be probing your computer for cycling secrets to take back to the Great Engineering Hall Of The People to reverse engineer and sell to us unsuspecting capitalists.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px]The website shows a buch of detailed pictures of an $879 perfect clone of the original Time RXRS Ulteam. It looks identical to the OP's frame...minus the unsightly cracks. Probably full of fiberglass filler...that's stronger than the original.[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px]China Wholesale Marketplace[/SIZE] DHgate.com is the leading B2B online trading marketplace for China wholesale products. We are backed by investors KPCB, JAFCO and Warburg Pincus which help us improve online trading.

[SIZE= 14px]I think I've found your problem...[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px]Yeah...it's a site run by the Godless Red Chinese. I have no doubt the People's Liberation Army would be probing your computer for cycling secrets to take back to the Great Engineering Hall Of The People to reverse engineer and sell to us unsuspecting capitalists.[/SIZE]

My cycling secrets will get 'em about as far as a top 10 in Cat4. If I could curtail my input of beer I'm gathering that could be a top 25 in Cat3. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I was about to say that he should make as much noise as possible on all the main forums and Facebook, but he's already posted on Time's Facebook page and had some "positive correspondence" with the company. So, I wonder what happened after that.

http://www.facebook.com/VELOTIME/timeline?filter=2

TIME SPORT INTERNATIONAL
Hello Jason, I am glad to hear that you are okay. Just to let you know that this type of malfunction is not at all normal nor typical of our frames. Have you contacted the TIME dealer where you originally purchased your RXRS? They will be able to organize with the distributor in Australia and the TIME service department in France. Please let me know if you ever need any help in contacting any of these TIME representatives. Just make sure to include a copy of your original purchase receipt with anything shipped. Hope to get you back on the road soon! -Brittney.
July 28 at 5:18pm
  • Jason Hulme Hi Brittney, thank you for getting back to me. The guys at Cycle Wold Burwood near Sydney have been fantastic. The distributor should take a look within a week and I am hoping to be back on the road by this weekend. Let's see what happens. J
    July 29 at 4:57am via mobile
  • TIME SPORT INTERNATIONAL Great to hear that TIME dealers in Australia and TMO have been taking such good care of you! That's what we love to hear. Keep us updated. Best, Brittney.
    July 29 at 1:38pm

531Aussie said:
It looks like he has had some "positive correspondence" with the company, so I wonder what happened after that.
It does raise some questions, one of which is whether or not the OP has told the full story. The crack at the top of the seat stay would be expected in the case of chain stay failures, and it wouldn't be a big surprise for the second chain stay to fail if the first did........which brings me right back to the odd, squarish hole. What caused the hole? The story screams for more details.

Yep, I'd like to know the outcome, because a friend of mine is looking to buy one of these, and this 'case' may change his decision on where he gets it

time was saying that PBK was not an authorised dealer. Turns out they were and now are not. This was the first reason. Once i proved them wrong, they then said that "their frames break, just not usually like that" and now they will not even respond.

Not good customer service at all.

Originally Posted by 531Aussie .

Yep, I'd like to know the outcome, because a friend of mine is looking to buy one of these, and this 'case' may change his decision on where he gets it
seriously think twice!

That's no good. But 'Brittney' at Time seemed so 'lovey-dovey' on Facebook -- what happened with her?

531Aussie said:
Note that we've only heard the rider's story, not necessarily the whole story. The rider has avoided answering some questions, and his photos and video are dodgy in quality. You have to wonder how he got kicked off a Time forum. There are precious few stories about Time like the OP's, and the alleged damage to his frame is odd, very odd.

Jason Hulme said:
seriously think twice!
So that's your advice, advice from some guy new to the forum whose only reason for being here is to whinge about something.