Time to Lactate Threshold and % of maximim heart rate.

WillemJM

Sep 28, 2012
If you are plodding along at 60% of LT and then you go flat out. How long to reach your LT heart rate?

Mine takes forever, about 6 to 8 minutes. My LT is around 95% of my maximum HR.

WillemJM said:
If you are plodding along at 60% of LT and then you go flat out. How long to reach your LT heart rate? Mine takes forever, about 6 to 8 minutes. My LT is around 95% of my maximum HR.
What do you mean by "flat out" A max 30second effort, a max 1 minute effort, a max 5 minute effort, or what? From rest to the HR I can hold for 60 minutes is around 6 minutes at a steady power I can hold for 60 minutes. However with a 60second max effort, I would be there at or shortly after the end of the interval.

This is going to depend on a lot of thing how hard is flat out? What is your aerobic fitness level? Obviously the harder you go the faster heat rate will climb. The more "in shape" you aerobically the more responsive hr typically is as well. If you are fatigued it will respond slower. Temperature can also affect response rate a well a absolute value.

What I meant by flat out, is starting with a low 60% of Lactate Threshold heart rate and then go absolutely as hard as I can. It takes me about 6 to 8 minutes to get to my Lactate threshold heart rate and a little beyond that to get to maximum heart rate. It means if I do a 1 minute full effort sprint, I do not get near my higher heart rates.

If you are asking about individuals... looking over a file were I softpedalled for 10 minutes than did a hard 1 minute climb. Took 1 minute for my HR to go from 113bpm to 182bpm.

I don't think many get close to their max HR in a 1 minute sprint, it's just not physiologically likely, your effort has ended before the aerobic systems are fully engaged - repeated 1 minute sprints are much more likely, but from nothing it's not surprising.

Agreed with Jim, in fact the only times I actually get near my max hr are in races, usually near the finish. Places where I ride hard for 5 minutes and then do an all out sprint plus a high hr due to nerves. I can hit about 210 like that. In training I never really get above 200.

If you're tired then reaching your max HR is very tough. Reaching the bike is tough fullstop sometimes!