Time to Regain Past Figures?

Alhana

Oct 1, 2007
What sort of time frame would it take to recover past power figures following a year off? After about 3 weeks (3-4x/wk) of training, I am at 60-70% of those old numbers. Feel like a slug on an iceberg riding the bike now, talk about slow :(

One more question. If you have gained some weight during the layoff, like most people, could you expect to make a bit more power eventually? Though the power divided by weight figure would probably be less.

No answer huh? Guess after a year I am starting from scratch like a newbie again :eek:

Alhana said:
What sort of time frame would it take to recover past power figures following a year off? After about 3 weeks (3-4x/wk) of training, I am at 60-70% of those old numbers. Feel like a slug on an iceberg riding the bike now, talk about slow :(

One more question. If you have gained some weight during the layoff, like most people, could you expect to make a bit more power eventually? Though the power divided by weight figure would probably be less.
O.K. since no one wants to play....
Hard to say how long it will take, it depends a bit on how fit you were at your high point, how you're training now compared to what got you to your peak fitness, what activities you did when you were off the bike, etc. But after more than a decade away from serious riding I got back to race fitness(and exceeded my earlier results by quite a bit) in about 8 months of training. And I dropped an awful lot of accumulated weight in the process. So I wouldn't be surprised if you could regain your previous fitness in just a few months.

As for the weight, it will only help if you were either much too light before or the added weight is from increased muscle mass in the muscles that count. I'm guessing that's not the case and the extra weight won't lead to extra power.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
O.K. since no one wants to play....
Hard to say how long it will take, it depends a bit on how fit you were at your high point, how you're training now compared to what got you to your peak fitness, what activities you did when you were off the bike, etc. But after more than a decade away from serious riding I got back to race fitness(and exceeded my earlier results by quite a bit) in about 8 months of training. And I dropped an awful lot of accumulated weight in the process. So I wouldn't be surprised if you could regain your previous fitness in just a few months.

As for the weight, it will only help if you were either much too light before or the added weight is from increased muscle mass in the muscles that count. I'm guessing that's not the case and the extra weight won't lead to extra power.

-Dave
Dave,, thanks for being a good samaritan and answering.

Hmmm, I took a year off, so I'm pretty sure the weight gain is anything but muscle. As for exercise, there wasn't much of that. Unless sipping margaritas and pressing ice cream cakes on vacation counts? :)

Sounds like I got nothing on you though. You went from 10 years off to race shape in 8 months? That is super. I hope to be on that fast track also.