... to Ride? Is it possibly a more accurate representation of current road users?
Anyway, read on for a positive selection of reader feedback in The Age's Drive Your Say section, (although Alan Barron should of been told to do homework regarding consolidated revenue!). Overall, pleasing to read that some myths are possibly being quietly dispelled in the public consciousness. 😉
*****
Your Say: March 21, 2007
http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/your-say/2007/03/20/1174153059921.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
Taxpaying cyclists hard to myth
Alan Barron (Drive, 14/3) thinks cyclists and the Melbourne City Council want to frustrate his attempts to whiz down St Kilda Road by improving the cycle lanes. And to support his case he trots out that hoary myth that cyclists don't pay road taxes. This will probably come as a revelation to Mr Barron, but most cyclists own vehicles and, guess what, they pay road taxes and fuel taxes and registration fees the same as any other motorist.
And on top of that, there is all that Lycra to buy, and spare tubes, and those expensive sunnies, and the lattes and muffins, not to mention having to contend with the occasional car. Get over it and learn to share the road with other road users, including cyclists. Either that or start a campaign against trams using St Kilda Road.
Alan Crompton, Chelsea
*****
Bike lanes to be applauded
It must be apparent to all road users, including the trendy ones from the inner city referred to by Alan Barron of Grovedale (Drive, 14/3), that there is far too much traffic in the city and that it is increasing. Any move to reduce that traffic by promoting bike lanes is to be applauded. Bike lanes reduce traffic, car fumes and promote a healthier lifestyle. Any reduction in road speed also makes it safer for pedestrians and cyclists in the city.
We should encourage the Government to improve public transport and consider a levy on cars using the city. I am a car driver and cyclist - as are many others - and I think reducing car use, particularly those with only one occupant, is also a good idea.
Elwyn Davies, Yarraville
*****
Cyclists pay taxes too
I cycle to work in Richmond from Diamond Creek and I pay taxes on the car I leave behind every day. Bicycles cause no damage to roads. And from Greensborough on, I am faster than the traffic. I'm sure motorists are glad there is one less car on the road. Melbourne City Council is there to serve its residents who would probably prefer you didn't commute from Grovedale and choke their environment.
James Hall, Diamond Creek
*****
Encouraging cycling helps all
Why would Alan Barron (Drive, 14/3) bother to commute by car from Grovedale to Melbourne? Has his sea change gone wrong? Despite what he says, most cyclists have one or two cars and do pay taxes and fees; only a small amount of the tax on petrol is used to maintain roads; and a lot of the people I work with cycle in from the outer suburbs. Many use public transport for half the distance and cycle the rest. Can I suggest Alan considers doing the same to reduce his frustration about driving?
Cycling reduces stress, pollution, the cost of maintaining roads, and the burden on the public health system. The Melbourne City Council isn't just helping cyclists, Alan, it's helping you by encouraging people to commute by bike. Cyclists pay income tax, GST, fees, charges and council rates, just like you.
Wolf Damschitz, Hawthorn East