Time to Top Form?

Strumpetto

Jul 13, 2007
I'm curious, how long does it take the average cyclist to get into optimal shape. Now, I know there are a lot of ways to tweak your body so that you are optimal, but I am merely wondering how long it might take for someone to more or less reach their max potential. For instance, is it possible to do this in a month or two with good training? Am I correct in assuming that a more talented rider will be able to realize their potential more quickly than a less talented rider? Thanks again.

Strumpetto said:
... I am merely wondering how long it might take for someone to more or less reach their max potential. For instance, is it possible to do this in a month or two with good training? ...
Think years, not months.....

daveryanwyoming said:
Think years, not months.....
Right. Right. Let's say, however, that X has elite potential, but has never cycled before. Will it still take years for X to reach his/her elite potential? Aren't there talented people who have ridden very little, yet go to races and dominate through the ranks?. How long, on average, were the pros in the tour riding and training before they went pro? In other words, do very talented riders rise very quickly to the rank of pro, or have the majority of pros put in years of training prior to being selected to ride for a team? Thanks again!

Strumpetto said:
Right. Right. Let's say, however, that X has elite potential, but has never cycled before. Will it still take years for X to reach his/her elite potential? Aren't there talented people who have ridden very little, yet go to races and dominate through the ranks?. How long, on average, were the pros in the tour riding and training before they went pro? In other words, do very talented riders rise very quickly to the rank of pro, or have the majority of pros put in years of training prior to being selected to ride for a team? Thanks again!

I have seen people put in maybe three years on the road as a minimum before turning pro (real pro, not unpaid US pro license), but these were generally very talented people who had a background in another endurance sport - running, stair running, triathlon, cross country skiing, mountain biking or rowing. Most of the kids out of Australia who end up on protour teams have been in the sport a long time. Some of them dominated at the very start, some slogged it out and got better as they went on. It certainly takes years for anyone to reach their true potential in an endurance sport.

With lots of focus, support, dedicated and smart trainning you can be there in 10 years.

I hope years. I'd like to think that I'll still be improving in 10 years.

Ive heard people say that in general to reach your maximum otential takes 10 years of hard training. I would only consider this my first year so i expect to peak at 26.

If you havent started cycling before 18-19yo. Your probably never going to get there Unless you are national level at some other endurance sport.

And to turn pro you need to be a freak (talent) plus a LOT of hard work. It's going to take a lot of time. Even if your the next Jan or Lance!