Time trial day and music

awilki01

Sep 20, 2011
When I'm on my rollers in the house and am about to do a hard interval, I always change songs to something I really like on my iPod. It gives me motivation and extra drive to finish strong. My music of choice is Trance music. I never listen to music while on the road!!! I did one time when I was on call for work and just did circles around the same block for a couple of hours in an unfinished neighborhood. But, even then, it was a PodCast and it wasn't like over compressed music that eats up all the frequencies in the hearing spectrum - so I could still hear things.

I was wondering if anyone ever listened to music during a time trial. I have two back to back (ITT and TTT) coming up in November. I would NEVER do it for the TTT, but for the ITT, I would consider it. I'm just not sure of the rules, etc. The road will be completely closed, however, there will be other racers out there (30 sec apart start). I would err on the side of caution and not wear headphones, but if it's something that many of you do, I would like to know and reassess my stance on it.

I've also read on Cobb Cycling's site that wearing earplugs during time trials helps as it reduces wind noise - which according to theory is a major distraction and can cause lower performance for time trialists.

I would appreciate your opinions/feedback if you have the time.

Regards,
Adam

Wearing earplugs is not the same as wearing headphones and listening to music. Earplugs damp high frequency noise, while listening to music is just stupid. Also, music earpieces do not serve the same function as earplugs in terms of what they "block".

Originally Posted by awilki01 .

I've also read on Cobb Cycling's site that wearing earplugs during time trials helps as it reduces wind noise - which according to theory is a major distraction and can cause lower performance for time trialists.

Wind noise gives a perception of speed. In a time trial you don't need a perception of speed, you just need speed. Ear plugs may help with seperating perceived reality with actuality.

Music is just a distraction used for very long intervals.

Thanks! I had assumed that was the responses I was going to get. I didn't think earphones would be wise either, but I wanted to hear from a few of you and your opinions.

I may do the earplug thing though.

Found this again:

John Cobb recommends using earplugs during a time trial. He's confident that you will ride faster using earplugs because the body associates the volume of the wind to the level of exertion. The earplugs might help you stay calm even when your legs are searing with pain.

I find a radio (from my cell phone) with one earplug nice on a ride. But even on an easy ride I don't pay much attention to the noise (music).

Hard rides or where it is important to hear what is on the road - I pull the earplug out (the helmet strap holds it close enough).

---

For an ITT you need a coach yelling in your ear. Perhaps you could record a coach sound track and play it in a loop.

You absolutely do not need someone yelling in your ear for an ITT. Such a thing is entirely rider dependent.

I have no coach to yell at me. I guess I'll just have to yell at myself and say "shut up legs" like Jens Voigt.

"I've also read on Cobb Cycling's site that wearing earplugs during time trials helps as it reduces wind noise - which according to theory is a major distraction and can cause lower performance for time trialists."

That's...kinda cool, I had no idea.

Personally I don't listen to music when I train (except when strength training, i'm anti-social and i'm there to work).

My philosophy is that if I'm not allowed to wear earphones when I race, then I shouldn't be wearing them when i'm training. Remember too that part of the training is getting used to the boredom of race day (only applies to triathlon and marathon running, things get really fuzzy out there.) You must train yourself to shut out the lactic hell screaming from your quads.

With that said, I watch thesufferfest videos when I do intervals, indoor training is a little different.

I wore earplugs today on a test 17 mile time trial. Wow! It made a HUGE difference for me personally. I didn't have the screaming of the wind noise in my ear. It gets very unnerving for me personally having all that wind blowing past my ears. I'm convinced that riding a bike will eventually lead to hearing loss.

Needless to say, I had a PR today on my test TT. I think I was able to concentrate better. I could hear my breathing and could focus and better control it. I don't know. I just liked it. I do have to admit, I had my TT helmet on as well, so that may have made the difference I saw. But, regardless, I will be wearing earplugs on TTs and TT tests for now on. I could still hear cars, etc coming up behind me.