Time Trial Headache

otb4evr

Apr 22, 2005
I have heard of a "time trial headache" in different circles and I experience them frequently after long, hard efforts and, yes, time trials. It is usually an indication to me that I have given my all for the distance.

I was questioned about the "why" of the headache and I have not found any supporting reason for having one.

Does anyone know why headaches are so prevelant after a maximum effort TT?

I guess the natural second question would be "Am I the only one that gets them?"

Jim

otb4evr said:
I have heard of a "time trial headache" in different circles and I experience them frequently after long, hard efforts and, yes, time trials. It is usually an indication to me that I have given my all for the distance.

I was questioned about the "why" of the headache and I have not found any supporting reason for having one.

I guess the natural second question would be "Am I the only one that gets them?"

Jim

I've got a very big (wide) head and can't find good helmet (most big size helmets which I can buy here don't suit my head), my current helmet is a bit tight in the temples. My headaches come when it's hot and I think my head swells during long all-out efforts.

I have gotten really bad headaches from dehydration, if you don't drink for a 40K TT on a hot humid day, you could find yourself dehydrated, but I don't know that I have ever heard anyone talk of a TT headache assuming nutrition isn't the problem.

In a TT your position on the bike might be more 'radical' and place greater stress on your neck and muscles. This could definitely cause a headache.

otb4evr said:

Jim

I'm thinking it's dehydration. Blood vessels in your head expand when dehydrated and cause a bad headache. and, boy did i have one yesterday after my ride (not a TT!). caffeine/coffee can help reverse the issue when you've finished your ride, or you should consume more fluids (carbs+electrolytes) during your ride to prevent or lessen the dehydration

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
I'm thinking it's dehydration. Blood vessels in your head expand when dehydrated and cause a bad headache. and, boy did i have one yesterday after my ride (not a TT!). caffeine/coffee can help reverse the issue when you've finished your ride, or you should consume more fluids (carbs+electrolytes) during your ride to prevent or lessen the dehydration

ric
Thank you all for the thoughts...

I guess it *could* be dehydration, but I get one *every* TT, regardless of length or time of year, if I push myself past the limit. I drank during this latest one (a 40k in mid 70s temp) and got a dinger of a headache that lasted until the next morning. I even got them during our indoor TT series. The distance was only 10k...

Helmets do not make a difference, as I have used different ones.

My position has changed in the last couple of years, but the headache hasn't...

As I have said, this happens only when I push myself to the limit. Perhaps I am going *past* the limit...

Jim

otb4evr said:
Thank you all for the thoughts...

I guess it *could* be dehydration, but I get one *every* TT, regardless of length or time of year, if I push myself past the limit. I drank during this latest one (a 40k in mid 70s temp) and got a dinger of a headache that lasted until the next morning. I even got them during our indoor TT series. The distance was only 10k...
FWIW. I completely agree with those who suggest that it is dehydration ...

A quick test for you is to weigh yourself BEFORE (the night before) ... AND, weigh yourself AFTER you are done with the TT ... if you can't get to a scale right away, then don't forget to take into account the fluids you consume immediately after. Weigh your pee, if you have to, too, to get an slightly more accurate sense of how much fluid you have lost from your body's "core."

Also, factor in the amount of fluid/etc. you consume just before the TT.

If there is NO DIFFERENCE in your weight, then you may not be dehydrating ...

But, as an analogy, just 2 ounces of alcohol will give some people a hangover (which IS a dehydration headache) while others are unaffected ... so, even if the amount of fluid loss is minor, then you could be susceptible.

Obviously (?), some people's bodies require much more fluid to detoxify ... hence, their "dehydration" hangovers when consuming a given amount of alcohol while others are not affected.

Your physiology, particularly if you have miminal body fat, may be an aggravating factor ... consider contacting a nutritionist -- s/he can do an analysis of your situation.

I recall reading that aspirin BEFORE drinking and/or before going to bed mitigates a hangover ... so, if you take a couple of aspirin (or, possibly ibuprofen) before a ride AND somewhere in the middle of the ride, it may mitigate your headaches. It can only hurt to try if you have a stomach which is sensitive to aspirin ...

alfeng said:
so, if you take a couple of aspirin (or, possibly ibuprofen) before a ride AND somewhere in the middle of the ride, it may mitigate your headaches. It can only hurt to try if you have a stomach which is sensitive to aspirin ...

you should *NEVER* take NSAID before or during exercise, as it can potentially kill you, or cause kidney failure.

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
you should *NEVER* take NSAID before or during exercise, as it can potentially kill you, or cause kidney failure.
ACK! Sorry ... GOOD to know ... thanks for the warning!

ric_stern/RST said:

Ric
****, thanks.. Didn't know this. Here is the explanation and the link to the abstract:

[size=+1]Exercise-induced acute renal failure associated with ibuprofen, hydrochlorothiazide, and triamterene.[/size]

An important Q is: do you get headaches exclusively after exercise, or do they occur during as well? I used to experience headaches after 3 hour-rides, but after I put a teaspoon of salt in it + a fair amount of sugar, the headaches were markedly milder/ gone, and my wooziness was reduced. I am pretty convinced that it was an electrolyte/carbohydrate issue.

Concerning blood pressure, a little searching round on the net brought this one up: [size=+1]Are transient increases in blood pressure during the treadmill stress test associated with headache? [/size]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...t_uids=7579049&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

Aranesp said:
An important Q is: do you get headaches exclusively after exercise, or do they occur during as well? I used to experience headaches after 3 hour-rides, but after I put a teaspoon of salt in it + a fair amount of sugar, the headaches were markedly milder/ gone, and my wooziness was reduced. I am pretty convinced that it was an electrolyte/carbohydrate issue.
These hit me about 15 - 20 minutes after the effort. I have a recovery drink and at least 48 ounces of mixed gatorade afterwards. I also drink about 24 ounces of gatorade during my warm up.

The headaches usually last until the next morning, but if they are still there when I wake up, I take aspirin at that time.

I don't take aspirin after a ride/race, because I had read somewhere that it inhibits muscle regeneration... :confused:

Jim